Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-13, 03:08 PM  
rose2boys

Need some advice re:purging dvds

Ok, so, I am a bit of a packrat -- have so much excess "stuff" that I feel disorganized and weighed down. As a first step to declutter & feel "lighter", I am giving a harsh eye to my workout dvd collection and getting rid of ALOT!

Some of them I am totally ok with getting rid of, could even go to Goodwill or whatever. But, some, like my precious Cathe STS, I can't just give to anyone..needs to go to a good home who will value it. KWIM??

I don't know why it is so emotional, but...you get the drift. Anyway, the point of my post is to get suggestions of what to do with this BIG box of dvds. I do not want to try to trade (have posted & these are still here, plus I don't really want any more dvds...moving on to downloads whenever possible). I need to get rid of these quickly & swiftly, like ripping off a Band Aid or I may start to overthink. I already kept more than I should have.

Since it is such a large investment & variety (some are really good sets, not cheap stuff: CLX, STS, P90X) so I wouldn't mind some $. I have Leslies, Bob Harper, Katami, all kinds of workouts. Should I list on CL as a large lot of DVDs for blanket $? Should i separate the ones I feel have some value & try to sell?

Or should i just forget getting any $, go to PO to see how much it would cost to ship & list on Share The Wealth?? Ugh--dont know what to do...

Sorry for long post, but only fellow Vfers could HELP!
Old 08-01-13, 03:13 PM  
PrairieGem

It sounds like no matter what, a first step is to list everything that you want to get rid of. Once that's done, it seems like it's just as easy to make a "for sale" post, as it is to post a giveaway. Since you'd really like a little money for them (no shame in that!!), I'd say list them for sale for a little while--however long it takes for them either to sell, or for you to get antsy about still having them around. Whatever you have left, send them along to a new home with no regrets.

Good luck!
Old 08-01-13, 03:25 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

for the ones of smaller value that aren't part of a series, you can do a SASE, but selectively:
go to the Exchange Forum, see whether someone has it on their wishlist, and just tell them they can have it if they send you a SASE.
for the big series or more valuable ones, list it on CL.

selling the bigger series on Amazon might also be another option - no need to create a listing.

with Share the Wealth, it's up to the requestor to send you the mailers and the correct postage, so that should be no labor on your part!!!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-13, 03:34 PM  
iheartsts

If you want to get rid of them ASAP and want a little money, you could try taking them to Half Price Books if there's one near you. You dont get much $ for them, but you get something, and the box is gone and a weight is off your shoulders.....(I have done this before...)

I've also used the Amazon Trade In program in the past and have gotten decent $$ for DVDs, but I hear they aren't giving good offers any more.

I've also tried listing them in one lot on Craigslist but never had any responses.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you!
Old 08-01-13, 03:51 PM  
LauraBella

I would imagine that your best bet (in terms of dollars earned) would be to try to sell on Amazon or Ebay (note that I said sell not trade-in on Amazon). It's going to be a crap shoot just finding people who know who Cathe IS on CL. Whereas with Amazon/Ebay people are actually searching for your stuff.

You might also consider the MrKay's/McKay's/Whatever-the-name-of-your-local-used-media-shop-is.
Old 08-01-13, 03:51 PM  
Sollamyn

I traded in to Amazon and got about $35 in credit for the original Bar Method 2-DVD set. They were used, in excellent condition. I was pretty happy with that price, since I didn't want to bother with trying to sell them. Trading with Amazon might be a good option if you have some hard to find or quality DVDs.

Donna
Old 08-01-13, 03:59 PM  
bearcatfan

You could try contacting vfer Roleez - she often buys lots of dvds and then resells on ebay. She is good to work with and offers what I feel is a fair price.
Old 08-01-13, 04:10 PM  
warriorprincess

Maybe you could donate them to your library, and then you could still do them if you wanted to :-)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-13, 04:15 PM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
Maybe you could donate them to your library, and then you could still do them if you wanted to :-)
I do donate books and DVDs to the library, but just be aware that they don't put all donated items into their system. Sometimes they are sold at their book sales.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-13, 04:17 PM  
rose2boys

Thanks for all the suggestions! I appreciate it.

Rose-
Another VFr suggested the same thing & I just PM'd her...so, I'll see what she says...

I just really want to get rid of as many as possible all at once. There are just sooo many, so short of giving it all away to Goodwill I may need to split them up.

As for Amazon trade in, how does that work? I have never sold/traded there.

Tags
downsizing, large collection, purging dvds