Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-13, 02:48 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Barb, that's exactly what I did. I just tried again, and everything seems to go fine--I can play the trimmed video okay, etc.--but then after the conversion, when I go to play my ripped selection, all I am getting is a blank (black) screen.

ETA: Weird--I tried it again with a shorter introductory segment on the DVD that was separately chaptered, and I got it to work! Maybe it just takes a bit of trial & error? I guess I am doing it correctly...

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 03:01 PM  
horsemom2

Maybe you missed a step previously
or Freemake hit a temporary glitch
or your pc hit a temporary glitch
or a combination of all of the above LOL

I know I have had to be patient and stubborn and retry a failed project a few times. Sometimes Freemake just refuses to open the titles on a dvd or dvdr the first few tries. Also I have found different brands of burned dvdr seem less compatible with either Windows and/or Freemake.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 03:04 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Well, I had tried to do the same DVD several times; it wasn't until I attempted a smaller segment that I got it to work.

I might try again with a different DVD, but since Handbrake was so much easier (at least on the one DVD I tried; I've only used it for one so far), I might stick with that in the future.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 03-20-13, 05:19 PM  
horsemom2

So I attempted the same task with Handbrake but saw no option to trim the chapter? It took about 10 minutes to rip and convert the whole chapter but now have the whole 40 minute chapter instead of just the 13 minutes I wanted. Handbrake is useful for whole chapters but still would have to then trim with Freemake if you want just a part of the chapter unless I am missing the trimming option in Handbrake?

Barb S

ETA: Handbrake doesn't have a trimming option
Old 03-20-13, 05:26 PM  
LauraBella

I fail massively at this ripping thing, too!!!!
Old 03-20-13, 06:13 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraBella View Post
I fail massively at this ripping thing, too!!!!
Try Handbrake if you cannot rip a dvd using Freemake Video Converter.
Personally find Freemake much more versatile but do not like its latest installation demands.

Barb S
Old 03-20-13, 06:16 PM  
horsemom2

Here's an article which may help

http://www.freemake.com/blog/how-to-...-need-to-know/
However, when ripping with Freemake choose *+DVD* not the *+Video* as stated in the above article!!! Then choose *Video VTS* from the DVD. Then check off the Titles you want to convert.

Good luck!
Barb S
Old 03-20-13, 08:10 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
So I attempted the same task with Handbrake but saw no option to trim the chapter?
For some reason, Handbrake let me choose the specific chapter I wanted--just that one chapter--whereas that option was not available with Freemake even though I tried several times.

Quote:
Here's an article which may help

http://www.freemake.com/blog/how-to-...-need-to-know/
However, when ripping with Freemake choose *+DVD* not the *+Video* as stated in the above article!!! Then choose *Video VTS* from the DVD. Then check off the Titles you want to convert.
Barb, I will check out that article. However, I actually tried it both ways--i.e., choosing +DVD and +Video--and got the exact same results.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 03-20-13, 08:56 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
For some reason, Handbrake let me choose the specific chapter I wanted--just that one chapter--whereas that option was not available with Freemake even though I tried several times.

Barb, I will check out that article. However, I actually tried it both ways--i.e., choosing +DVD and +Video--and got the exact same results.
Freemake lets you check off which titles/chapters you want to load from the DVD. It does default to the largest chapter which is usually the whole movie but you can uncheck that title and check the box for the title that you want to rip. You can then trim any of the Titles/chapters you choose to load even further if you want.

Be sure you choose *+DVD* and keep trying to get Freemake to open the dvd that way. Sometimes you may have to try a couple of times. Freemake will either highlight *VideoVTS* or you may have to go to the Video VTS yourself on the dvd. Freemake will then list the titles/chapters it identifies on the dvd. You then put a check mark in front of the titles you may want to rip and remove any check marks from those you do not want to rip. After the titles are opened, you can play them to preview them and remove any you did not want. You can then further edit each title before converting if desired.

I am going to get some screen shots of each step tomorrow and post a blog post with them.

Barb S
Old 03-20-13, 09:32 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Freemake lets you check off which titles/chapters you want to load from the DVD. It does default to the largest chapter which is usually the whole movie but you can uncheck that title and check the box for the title that you want to rip. You can then trim any of the Titles/chapters you choose to load even further if you want.
See, this is the weird thing that happened when I used Freemake. It did default to the largest (whole movie), but the only other option it gave me (this was for Yoga in the Garden of Serenity) was for the brief opening segment; that was the selection that I was able to successfully trim when I tried it again. When I used Handbrake, however, it allowed me to select from the actual DVD chapters just like they appear on the DVD menu--e.g., I selected "02," and that was the second chapter that appears on the DVD menu, just the one I wanted. I did NOT get this same list of individual chapters with Freemake for some reason.

Maybe it was just this one DVD...I won't be able to try again until I'm back at work next week. (At home, I use a netbook computer with no DVD drive.)

Follow me @YogiBethC

Tags
back up dvd, burning dvds, download to dvd, dvd ripping, dvd to ipod, faq, ipod, ripping dvds, streaming, tech