Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-23-12, 06:00 AM  
Keepfitgirl

Is Lastics helpful for those with tightness in lower back/SIJ problems?

My lower back has been feeling really tight and knotted for the last month. I do have a recurring SIJ problem, though it's actually OK at the moment. I was just wondering if this DVD (or any others you can suggest) might ease up the tightness I'm feeling.

Thanks,

Emma
Keepfitgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-12, 10:43 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

I have a sensitive lower back (L5-S1 compression) and I have been using Lastics quite a bit over the last month. The third segment is amazing to release tension in my lower back because it involves a nice series of hamstring stretches and slow spinal twists; this series is performed lying on your back so the stretches are supported.

I have to be careful with the first segment that focuses on standing forward bends. It is a great way to stretch the entire backbody, but it can put a lot of pressure on the lower back so I stay away when my back feels tender.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-12, 12:56 PM  
Keepfitgirl

Thanks, Fuzzie.
Keepfitgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 07:45 PM  
kitty12

I found Lastics had way too many forward bends and was very unbalanced (25 minutes of forward bends and no real backbends). I wrote a review of the DVD today and was very turned off that I received a negative vote on the DVD AND comment by Donna herself at about the same time. I much prefer this forum where reviews cannot be critiqued by the creators of the DVDs. There were too many forward bends for me.
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 08:26 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty12 View Post
I found Lastics had way too many forward bends and was very unbalanced (25 minutes of forward bends and no real backbends). I wrote a review of the DVD today and was very turned off that I received a negative vote on the DVD AND comment by Donna herself at about the same time. I much prefer this forum where reviews cannot be critiqued by the creators of the DVDs. There were too many forward bends for me.
That's just poor form on the instructor's part. I have a very public job that is very open to criticism -- people not liking what I do is part and parcel of it. If you can't take constructive criticism (or even non-constructive criticism) of your public performance work, you're probably in the wrong field.

Gwynn
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 09:18 PM  
kitty12

Thank you - and just felt like I had to vent. I have posted several reviews over time on Amazon and never had one of the instructors post a comment back. I felt my review was constructive and perhaps maybe why she commented on my review and not someone elses that was also negative.
Old 10-21-12, 09:47 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Kitty, I just read your review with comments and I felt that Donna was respectful and professional in her comments. You pointed out the lack of backbends and she simply clarified why she opted not to include them on her video. She even offered to provide you with alternate stretches which I thought was nice of her.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 11:55 PM  
Diana2468

I have SI joint pain too and recently ordered Classical Stretch. I havent' heard much about Lastics... how does it compare to CS in terms of addressing back pain? And how does it compare to CS in general? It looks pretty similar to me but I'm no expert...
Diana2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-12, 05:18 AM  
kitty12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Kitty, I just read your review with comments and I felt that Donna was respectful and professional in her comments. You pointed out the lack of backbends and she simply clarified why she opted not to include them on her video. She even offered to provide you with alternate stretches which I thought was nice of her.
I prefer the rule here that they are not allowed to post comments back. It keeps people from posting reviews. From My review was well thought out and my comments were more detailed than anyone elses review, yet someone else managed to give a negative to my review as well. At one time I posted a lot of Amazon reviews but haven't had time lately. I just deleted my review which of course will make everyone think the DVD is perfect.

In case anyone was interested, my comments (much shorter here) pointed out the instructions aren't always the best (as some others have commented) and there is no title menu. I mentioned these were only minor issues. I mentioned that she uses mostly active stretching as opposed to passive stretches. But then I mentioned that there are 25 minutes of back of the body stretches, mostly forward bends, and no backbends to balance them out. I ended up skipping her last few forward bends and doing back bends instead. I felt she did a great job of also hitting shoulders, hips, even wrists and hands but for me missing backbends was a large miss. The only front body stretches she included was a short odd backbend in the opening sequence (arch your upper back and stick your butt out) and a quad stretch. The workout seemed unbalanced to me. I should have copied the review here before I deleted it!!
Old 10-22-12, 05:19 AM  
kitty12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana2468 View Post
I have SI joint pain too and recently ordered Classical Stretch. I havent' heard much about Lastics... how does it compare to CS in terms of addressing back pain? And how does it compare to CS in general? It looks pretty similar to me but I'm no expert...
I haven't tried CS, but do have the latest Essentrics. I can say that at least Essentrics and Lastics do not feel very similar. Essentrics is active as well, but in a different way. Stretches are not held for a long time in Essentrics and I think CS is similar.

Tags
dr eric goodman, forward bends, lastics