Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-10-12, 07:37 PM  
buttons11

Foundation training back:core 4:1?

So I am reading the book Foundation Training I got from Amazon a couple weeks ago...

I found this link on their site

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...74T1I520110530

to quote the article
"Goodman advocates a four-to-one ratio of back-to-front training.

"For every four exercises you do for the back of the body, you get to do one for the front.
I think that's the opposite of what most people are doing."

Park said too many workouts reinforce sedentary postures.

"You see a guy who is sedentary all day go to the gym, do bench presses and ride on a bike.
He's reinforcing what he did all day," said Park.

"We're trying to bring everyone back to the center, where they should be.
I think this is the missing link."

I have oodles of 'core' workouts
but am not sure any of them would qualify 4:1 ratio back-to-front

ehhh none comes to my mind...
maybe I just need to piece together my own
as you know I'm not gonna be able to just do one DVD
not w/the workout ADD & all those other workouts in my collection just sitting there waiting to be done

So besides their foundation training DVD do you all know of any workouts that would fit this recommendation?

Or any highly recommended 'backside' workout DVD's that may complement my other typical abs/core workouts?

<off to peruse my collection to see what I can come up with>
maybe I'm just thinking out loud again but any recommedations or thoughts by all my fellow vidiot pals would be greatly appreciated
TIA
"The secret to change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new" Socrates NOT the Greek one, Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book that Changes Lives by Dan Millman, 1984

"Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace" Dalai Lama

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." Earl Nightingale

Still training to outrun the zombies buttons
buttons11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12, 10:29 AM  
Christine S.
VF Supporter

The first workout in my collection that comes to mind is Tracie Long's "Back Up." I'm not sure it adheres to the 4:1 ratio, but it very effectively works the back and core muscles. I do a lot of boxing and muay thai, which tends to work the "pushing" muscles a lot, and I find that this workout helps me work more of my "pulling" muscles.
Hope that helps.
Old 05-12-12, 09:13 AM  
buttons11

thank you for the suggestion Christine
I've actually put Back Up in my card long before my injury
But that was one that disappeared when my cart got poofed before I hit buy some time a go...I totally forgot about it since...Will put this back on my wish list

I'm going to review a couple in my collection that may at least have some good back work but may not fit the ratio:
Killer Abs and Back with Michael Olajide
Cathe workuts - STS/Muscle Max/4day split/Muscle Endurance/Max Intensity Strength/Power Circuit

I may just tack on an extra back workout to one of my cardio days each week to help balance things out a bit

any other ideas?
"The secret to change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new" Socrates NOT the Greek one, Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book that Changes Lives by Dan Millman, 1984

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." Earl Nightingale

Old 05-12-12, 11:10 AM  
cathgpo
VF Supporter

I generally agree that workouts need additional back work although 4:1 seems like a lot. Home workouts, especially, tend to overwork the front (lots of push-ups and crunches!). I bought Cathe's Turbo Tower and add on some supine pull-ups after many of my workouts. Not tons of them just a handful. Sometimes, I'll sub them in for another exercise that I don't want to do during the workout. Or sometimes I'll just pause in the middle of the dvd and do a set.

Another option to add additional back work in to your rotation is P90X Legs and Back. You could do that once a week to get some additional back work.

Good luck!

cathgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 12:16 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

In the new herbalife DVD set they say that back to chest in their workout is 2:1.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 02:25 PM  
buttons11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathgpo View Post
I generally agree that workouts need additional back work although 4:1 seems like a lot. Home workouts, especially, tend to overwork the front (lots of push-ups and crunches!). I bought Cathe's Turbo Tower and add on some supine pull-ups after many of my workouts. Not tons of them just a handful. Sometimes, I'll sub them in for another exercise that I don't want to do during the workout. Or sometimes I'll just pause in the middle of the dvd and do a set.

Another option to add additional back work in to your rotation is P90X Legs and Back. You could do that once a week to get some additional back work.

Good luck!
Cathgpo...
that's kind of what I'm thinking..if I could select a few exercises that i could just sub in on some of my ab/core intensive workouts...

yeah I'm not so sure about the 4:1 ratio either but I definitely think many workouts need more of a balance.

I'm actually just starting to add assisted pull ups at the gym to gently build up strength in the tendons/ligaments before I try unassisted pull ups/chin ups at home...so that should help too

Oh...I have p90x & I totally forgot about legs & back!
...I like that one so it will go on my list...
thanks so much for the reminder!!!

Old 05-12-12, 02:27 PM  
buttons11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbee View Post
In the new herbalife DVD set they say that back to chest in their workout is 2:1.
thanks Gibbee...I haven't looked at the herbalife one...I'll check it out

Old 05-14-12, 05:31 PM  
Castella

Outside the Foundation dvd, most of the backwork I've seen involved lots of pullups and back extensions. To be honest, I do try to do pullups (supported) but I don't feel like I get anything positive out of them and definitely no enhanced back strength. They hurt my joints and just feel really unnatural.

The Foundation dvd does have 4 basic workouts, and an advanced workout (which is 50 to 60 minutes long), but it's not fun. I'm currently dedicated to it because I feel so much better and I get good results from it.

The 4:1 might be appropriate for people like me, who sit at a desk all day, yes I walk to and from work, I do a workout, but then I'm sitting again. I still do my pushups though because I climbed a mountain to get to where I am with them and I don't want to slip back!

I think suspension trainers are probably great for the back. And I have a suspension trainer. I just have too many other things in the way of using it
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-12, 05:42 PM  
firmbogie

I just discovered this method of training. I had back surgery in April after over a year of daily debilitating back pain, two rounds of physical therapy, and three steroid injections. I still have daily back pain. An anesthesiologist at work recommended this program to me, he said it has eliminated his pain.
I'm reading the book, and have just started the basic exercises.
Honestly, this makes so much sense to me, everything I've read so far rings true. So, I've been training wrong for 30+ years? Geez.
The basic philosophy that we overtrain the abdominal muscles, which pulls the back forward, and can cause injury. This is a simplification, but it makes sense.
And I don't know about subbing exercises, the ones I've started with are very specific for back pain, back strengthening of specific muscles.
When I first looked at the illustrations, I thought, oh this is yoga! Well, it's NOT yoga. It kicked my butt.
I'm going to commit to this and see what happens. I'm going by the exercises in the book, I have the DVD, but haven't done it yet. I'll report back.
Old 09-10-12, 09:49 PM  
Castella

I've been using the DVD for months now and even though I'm honestly kind of sick of it, I get what I need from it. I've really strengthened my lower back, opened my hips, and improved my posture. I've also strengthened my hamstrings and glutes. It turns out this was the workout I really needed (and apparently need on a regular basis).

So...it's not a fun workout, but it has certainly balanced my body and just plain makes me feel good. Afterwards, not so much during!
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back surgery, dr eric goodman, eric goodman, foundation, foundation training, posterior chain