Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-12, 08:14 PM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

Thumbs up Figure 30 Butt and Reboot Evolution Vol. 2

I've had review copies of these and simply the workouts! Here are my thoughts on the two:

Figure 30 Butt:

Volume 2 specifically targets the buttocks so you'll look great from behind. (as Gin Miller so famously put "if you are going to have a big butt, make it a GREAT big butt) The workout is short, 30 minutes start to finish, so it makes for a great add on to target that area. (plus it is quickly becoming a VF favorite and I can see why) You'll only need one set of dumbbells (medium to heavy depending on your fitness level), ankle weights and a mat. Tracie provides great form tips and the workout doesn't require much space.

Tracie begins with a few easy cardio moves interspersed with stretches. The stretches are unique and will actively warm you up. Rear leg lifts, side leg lifts and sumo squats are some of the warm up moves. The standing portion is next. Single leg exercises are utilized to really key in on the buttocks area. Single leg squats begin (and they also work your balance). Single leg deadlifts, lunges, rear leg lifts (unique variation) follow then single leg lifts to each side. A lunge balance move into a power jump complete the set before repeating to other side. The pace is always controlled so momentum is not used. Sumo squats follow. A set of regular deadlifts work the back of the leg. You will vary the count/tempo on this set. Floor work (using the ankle weights if you choose) is next. Table work begins the set and the glutes are really isolated. Pigeon stretches the area. Bridge work follows, using just your body weight. You'll work one side at a time, keeping the non working leg straight and long or pulling it up to the chest. (if you really concentrate and really press into the floor, you'll fire up the glutes and hamstrings). Last glute set has you lying face down and performing leg lifts. You'll really try to lengthen that leg out as you lift it. Sets of singles then both legs are performed. Stretches begin with childs pose. You'll work deep into the hips, hip flexors, low back and groin.

Figure 30 Butt will definitely help define that "bodacious booty"!

Chapters: Warmup, 5 minutes
Weighted Butt and Balance, 10 minutes
Table and Bridge, 10 minutes
Stretch: 5 minutes

Reboot: Real Evolution Volume 2

This aero/tone interval workout utilizes your own body, the use of a med ball or light dumbbells to bring up the heart rate. You'll perform 4 complete cycles and within each of the cycles you'll go hard then recover 4 times. You'll begin with the med ball for the 1st cycle, move into body only exercises for cycle 2. Cycle 3 uses the light weights. I find the weight section to have a metabolic weight training affect, similar to Cathe's After Burn. The 4th cycle brings back the body weight only movements only this time the tempo picks up.

The workout did have some fancy footwork in the warmup. (took me several run throughs to grasp it) In the Cycle 1 you'll see jacks, step outs, ball weaves, split lunges, skater/figure 8 arms, and crescent switches. Cycle 2 body weight exercises include some old school burpees, frog jumps, pushups and power ups. It also has hurdles with triple step, step squats, step backs and small plyo jumps. Ski jumps with alternating step backs are also in the mix. The metabolic weight section, Cycle 3, includes some exercises that may be familiar to kettlebell enthusiasts. Weighted swings through legs with leg weaves to other side, squat with upright row, planks with arm presses/rotations/kickbacks are demonstrated as well as squats with overhead presses, rear lunges with curls and medial delts with squats. The final cycle has you moving a little quicker with the body weight exercises. Some of the exercises shown are 3 knees with scissor legs and long lever kicks, 3 knees coming across with jump in middle, tuck jumps. The final set of cycle 4 uses the hips more (rather than the larger glute muscles so your heart rate starts to come down slightly. Side leg taps turn into a quick, quick, slow pattern with some air time. (like a tick tock motion) That concludes the 4 cycles. You'll then perform another kettlebell inspired exercise, the windmill. This transitions you to the floor. You'll use the med ball for some additional oblique work, doing rotation twists. Pushups follow, using the med ball underneath one hand for additional pec action. Bridges with a med ball underneath one foot work glutes. A quick set of crunches concludes the floorwork segment. Lastly, you'll work through about 5 minutes of stretches to release the muscles.

Tracie's form is flawless and her tips are encouring. The workout equipment needed are again yourself, a med ball, a set of handweights (Tracie had 2 sets but I only saw her use her light set, 7lbs) and a mat for the floor portion. This is a calorie scorcher, as I burned 538 calories in 50 minutes. I think this workout is more cardio based with light weights used as "intensifiers". Two thumbs up!

"By far the most important application is those 18 inches between the table and your mouth. Your diet. Eat clean to get rid of fat." Robert Kennedy, Oxygen Magazine

"Having the body you want starts with loving the body you have." Mandy Ingber, Shape Magazine
Denise R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 06:24 AM  
orphylea

You made me want both of these Denise! Thanks for the review.

STS Grad
P90X Dropout
18 week CLX rotation finished
Currently loving Amy's Drop Sets and Cathe's STS TB
orphylea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 06:27 AM  
kariev34

Denise: that is a heck of a calorie burn for Reboot 2! Thanks for the review.
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 06:32 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

The Butt one sounds great! (As does Tracie's Hip workout, reviewed elsewhere.)
I think for now I've given up on her longer workouts, although that sounds good too.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 07:34 AM  
BarbK
VF Supporter

I have both of these but still enjoyed reading your review. I think Reboot2 is the best workout she has put out in a long time. I've been doing it about once a week since it came out. I use between 5-12 lbs for the dumbbells -
5s when I'm in the plank doing the punch.

RE: the calories burned in Reboot 2; that is a huge # .. can you give me a comparison of calories burned in some other (non-kettlebell) workouts?

Thanks
BarbK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 07:49 AM  
Ann1964

Figure 30 Butt:

You talked me into this one. I need a better butt, and will place the order today.
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 08:52 AM  
boukilisa

I have Reboot 2 but I haven't done it because of the high impact in some places. Did you modify anything?
boukilisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 10:37 AM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boukilisa View Post
I have Reboot 2 but I haven't done it because of the high impact in some places. Did you modify anything?
Not Denise, but I also waited to do this because I was dreading having to modify a lot (high impact and anything done on the floor on the hands/wrists) but finally did it the other day and loved it. It was easy to modify, fun to do and very cardio. I felt like I got a great workout and am looking forward to doing it again.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 10:59 AM  
lrb04

I modify all workouts & haven't had any trouble with Tracie's. When she says power up I don't but stay low impact. I vary what I think is best for me. I did Reboot 1 yesterday which I and modified it. I have done Reboot 2 the same way!
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 12:11 PM  
boukilisa

Thanks. I will give this one a try today!
boukilisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
figure 30 butt, reboot evolution volume 2, tracie long