Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-01-12, 08:01 AM  
Rookey

Margaret Richard "The Spark"

Hi everyone!

This is my first review so please be patient with my efforts.

I want to start by saying I love everything that Margaret does including The Spark because Margaret’s work stands the test of time with me. I am 54 years old, a size 6, and pretty strong thanks to Margaret.

If you know Margaret then you’ll know she is the iron hand in a velvet glove, she has been described here on VF as Killing Me Softly. You feel like you are working out with a friend. She is joking and talking and you are working hard!!!

The DVD itself is beautifully filmed; it’s easy to maneuver from exercise to exercise; and the scenery is really lovely. It’s filmed at the deCordova Museum and it’s a glorious looking place.

It is divided into 4 segments. So here goes…

Warm Up: For those of you who are familiar with Margaret you know her graceful and elegant warm ups. They are stretchy and just flow. They say “wake up muscles!”

Push Ups: Margaret does the push-ups with her hands on a sturdy bench. She shows 3 variations; a beginner version bringing your nose close to the bench sort of bent at the waist, an intermediate version with a straight back, and the advanced with legs extended.
We did the intermediate version and had a nice stretch at the end.

Triceps: My personal trouble zone! Margaret used the same sturdy bench to do tricep dips. If you know Margaret you know she doesn’t count reps you just do ‘em till you feel ‘em- but we did a million dips. Then we did French press, then more dips then more French press. My triceps were humming a happy song!

Abdominals: Margaret has her feet propped on the bench, a playground ball between her knees. We did crunches and some oblique twists. My lower abs were really humming. The movements were simple but I felt them…

Inner Thighs: I must say this is one of my favorites! Again, Margaret has her feet on the bench, ball between the knees. And we are squeezing… easy right? Noooo owey owey!!!
Then we lift each leg in turn and squeeze. Both fun and challenging!

Hamstrings: One foot on the bench, the knee of the other leg to the chest and squeeze up and down, the bent knee is straightened and more hammy squeezes. You feel this ever so gloriously and then it time for glute lifts!

Glutes: This has a very special intensity after the hamstrings! Feet on the bench, ball between the legs and squeeze that booty! Very intense!

Segment 2
Biceps: Margaret tells us she wants us to “push a little bit” so we do some one arm curls with 16 lbs! I had to use an assist after about 3 of those babies! Then we had a nice break with some 8 lb curls. Was Margaret happy with those? Noooo, we ended with a 5 and an 8 for single arm curls. That was challenging.

Delts: Margaret started us with overheads using 8 lbs. This starts out fine… but gets tough quickly! We pyramided down to 5’s and did a standing shoulder press (bring the weights to the shoulders and straight out). We end with side delt raises and my delts were well worked.

Obliques: Standing and using a weight in one hand as a counterbalance; tic tocs and oblique twists. Any of us over 40 can attest to how hard it is to keep your midsection in shape!

Back: Using 5 lb Margaret does upright rows and upper back squeezes. A series of pull backs follows with variations of hands facing down then up.
I love that my back has sexy muscles-thank you Margaret!

Outer Thighs: Bye bye saddlebags! Margaret is on her side and does her traditional outer thigh work, or actually variations of the traditional. Lifts followed by the knee touching the floor, then the alternating toe to toe knee-to-knee movement. Other leg of course!
I felt it without any ankle weights.

Segment 3
Pecs: Using 8 lb dumbbells Margaret did a series of pec flies, flies with pulses and 1 arm flies.

Triceps: This is a winner! Margaret is on her back arms over head working the triceps with an 8 pounder in each hand. The fun and hard part is when we bring the arms forward and touch the shoulders with the weights! Your elbow is pointing towards your feet. WOW!

Quads: Margaret is stranding at a railing so at home we need to grab both sides of a doorknob or something you can pull back on. So, we lean into sort of a sit squat with your knees over your ankles… This is exercise may be “easy on the joints” but my quads were jello.

Calves: I have wimpy calf muscles so I love to give them a challenge! We are on tip toes and go almost all the way down and up. Then we do a rocking see-saw move. She finishes us off by tucking one foot behind the other and pulsing.

Inner Thigh: Margaret is on her side, top leg on the ball with her knee bent, the bottom leg lifting. Margaret can absolutely see me when we work out! She says”lift with your knee and not your foot” I instantly felt the difference. Then she even told me “don’t go away to eat snacks!”

Outer Thigh: This is classic! On our sides doing leg extensions- but you are sort of making a giant circle or bicycle movement with the top leg. . “you should only see your knee not your foot”. The circles are reversed back to front… Other leg!
Section 4:
Warm up: Margaret is so feminine and elegant with her movements and I am umm not…
It’s enjoyable dancey movement.

Hammys: This is a twofer my friends! I felt this in my hamstrings and my glutes. It’s a beautiful intensity! Margaret is standing using a railing for balance. One knee must be back and with that leg you are kicking back. Trying to kick your own butt. Margaret says if it’s hard on your back you can lean forward, but I was fine using the chair for balance. There are some straight leg lifts to finsh you!

Quads: This is a very pleasant and sneaky quad lift. Standing at a support with your knee up you are extending into a kick. When you bring your knee back towards you the knee is raised up again! That tiny movement is gold! Yeowza! Other leg!

Biceps: Margaret starts with 8 lbs in each hand and she is doing curls. Then we did low end lifts, high end lifts… then you guessed it! Both weights in one hand to be a “Beast” LOL!

Delts: Margaret uses 5 lbs for the whole exercise. We do overhead lifts, some rotator cuff work and the standing delt press. There is a very challenging combo move of the press with upright row. Its fries the delts just right!

Cool Down: a treat! Stretching and elegant “Margaret moves.”

Outtakes: Margaret has a great sense of humor! She is sharing some fun film including being attacked by bees!
Old 03-01-12, 11:39 AM  
JustSandra

Excellent review!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 11:57 AM  
workoutjunkie

Fantastic review!!
workoutjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 02:08 PM  
videofit

Thanks for writing this. I think one reason my butt and thighs look so good after years of doing her workouts is because her outer thigh and hamstring work also seems to target the glutes or parts of them so they get really worked out.

If you have saddlebags I'd also recommend buying Perfect 10 because those two outer thigh chapters are really tough and a bit different from her norm.
Old 03-01-12, 07:52 PM  
Rookey

Thank you for the kind words! I just wrote it like I saw it! LOL Margaret is responsible for my nicely lifted glutes. Girls at work ask me what my secret, and they are in their 20's!

Thank you Margaret!
Old 03-01-12, 08:20 PM  
mtngoat

Thanks Rookey - great review!

I've just recently starting doing some of Margaret's workouts (after seeing them years ago on PBS) and I really enjoy them! I hope to see some of the results you long-time fans have attained!

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 08:24 AM  
Rookey

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngoat View Post
Thanks Rookey - great review!

I've just recently starting doing some of Margaret's workouts (after seeing them years ago on PBS) and I really enjoy them! I hope to see some of the results you long-time fans have attained!
Hi Lori,
I do have some really nice results with Margaret. Plus I don't ever dread my work out time!
I hope you try her because you'll be sold! You will have nice muscle development and increased strength. Plus you'll look good too!
Old 03-04-12, 08:04 PM  
pharma_gal

Can someone provide a link to this workout? I cant find it on her website. Thanks!
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-12, 08:35 PM  
sherry7899

http://www.bodyelectrictv.com/bestor...exd.asp?id=128

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 08:32 AM  
Rookey

I have (or had) bi-lateral hip dysplasia. I was diagnosed at 6 months of age and I was in a full body cast 6 months followed by leg braces.

Margaret is the ONLY workout I'd ever concider doing. Her workouts never hurt me!

I don't use any ankle weights.

I trust Margaret and would recommend her to everyone.

Tags
dumbbell size, margaret richard, margaret richard rotation