Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-11, 06:37 PM  
mandie123

Yoga Suggestions?

Need some suggestions for beginning or easy yoga dvds,also without sun salutations?
mandie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-11, 06:50 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Mandie, have you thought about Barbara Benagh's Yoga for Stress Relief? No sun sals on that DVD; instead, you'll get approximately 20 wonderful, therapeutic practices of varying lengths that are certainly appropriately for beginners, especially given that Benagh gives excellent form instructions and does include modifications. (She also has a separate "Yoga for Beginners" DVD, but I prefer Yoga for SR--I think you'd grow with it more.)

If you don't think that's up your alley, say a bit more about what you are looking for.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-11, 07:57 PM  
alisoncooks

I've been interested in this one before, Beth. This might push me into caving on it....

I quite like Sara Ivanhoe's Joy of Yoga. There are a fair number of downward dogs, if that's an issue. And she does a series of half-sun salutations at the beginning (no moving to the floor for plank/upward dog/etc). I really dislike sun-sals, but I find this half-sun salutation very do-able. Sara speaks in a kindergarten-teacher voice, but is very down-to-earth and "approachable." Ignore the pretzel lady to the right (wearing navy)...she is not human.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-11, 08:14 PM  
navarrosarah

Hi, I am not the OP for this question but had been wondering the same thing. Where would one purchase these workouts? I have checked at Marys and collage and neither one has either one of these. Thanks.

Sarah
navarrosarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-11, 08:19 PM  
sunday

I buy all of my workouts from Amazon.

Another that might work is Crunch's Candlelight Yoga. It's very serene and gentle.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-11, 09:09 PM  
JessieMarie

I love Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss. It has 4 levels which I like. It has no sun salutations. It's not crazy fast or anything - I think the name is misleading.

I also like Yoga: Gentle Practice with Zyrka Landwijt. It's a nice relaxing yoga practice.

Yoga for Beginners and Yoga for Stress Relief with Barbara Benagh are great too.

I think you can find all of these on amazon or walmart.
JessieMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-11, 09:54 PM  
chemicalemma

I'm a big fan of Zyrka's Yoga: Gentle Practice. It has two levels of practice, and each level has short, medium and long practices, so it's really easy to fit into my schedule.

I also love Barbara Benagh's Yoga for Stress Relief. The hip pain/SI joint practice on this alone is worth the price of purchase, but the other practices are pretty good, too.

Crunch's Candlelight Yoga is really soothing. And I can't remember if Stacy McCarthy's Yoga Body: Lean & Defined has sun salutations on it or not, but I don't think it does; I really like this one, as well.
Old 06-19-11, 09:58 PM  
sherry7899

An extremely gentle practice is this one:

http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...ew.php?id=2853

Her style is not for everyone, but there are definitely not any sun sals.

There are clips here:

http://www.treeoffitness.com/Videos/ITY_clip_1.wmv

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 06:15 AM  
mandie123

Thks everyone for all the suggestions,I am going over to Amazon now to ck, hoping they really have the yoga for stress relief one!Many years ago I would have considered myself a intermediate-advanced yoga student but having injuries and putting it aside over 10 years ago really feel I need to start at a beginning.Thks again
mandie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 08:00 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieMarie View Post
I love Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss. It has 4 levels which I like. It has no sun salutations. It's not crazy fast or anything - I think the name is misleading.

I also like Yoga: Gentle Practice with Zyrka Landwijt. It's a nice relaxing yoga practice.

Yoga for Beginners and Yoga for Stress Relief with Barbara Benagh are great too.

I think you can find all of these on amazon or walmart.
Second all of those suggestions, especially Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss. I was able to use that video when my RA was bad at the beginning, and yet still get a full, well rounded yoga practice. It should be available super cheap from Amazon Marketplace. And if you enjoy it, Suzanne's AM and PM Yoga for Weight Loss are also excellent.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no sun salutations, no sun salutes, yoga for beginners