Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-11, 03:53 PM  
Fitmama

I have some of the same issues as you - realignment, balancing muscles, loosening tight areas. My Chiropracter is the most helpful to get me into alignment. I do Egoscue too and I find it helpful to do the Gravity Drop while doing core squeezes and the arm circles at the same time. V-core and Fitness FX will help strengthen your core once you are in alignment - both have some great core work but I don't know about putting you into alignment. Another good one for core is Tracey Mallett Loose the Belly Flab. And Stretching is sooo important. I have found Jeanette Jenkins Core and Stretch It Out Stretching segment to help my tight areas.

Live Kidney Donor April 2014 - Donate and save a life!
Fitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 04:54 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Some years ago when I lived in Manhattan I dared to drop in at a couple of barre classes at one of the major dance companies. I couldn't get over how that one-hour class affected my posture for the rest of the week. Thinking of that I'd suggest Finis Jhung's Level 1 Barre dvd, which begins with a couple of lessons on alignment. (Maybe you can rent if from Netflix or KineticFlex or borrow it from a library.) He also has a new "anti-aging" dvd out for non-ballerinas called "Ballet Plus". And then, though I haven't tried any, I'm thinking that a "floor barre" dvd might be helpful since such work emphasizes proper alignment in non-weight-bearing positions. In any case, doing ballet exercises at the barre, keeping hips square and "lifting up", even for a short time, helps me greatly with my posture.
Old 05-25-11, 06:42 PM  
donnamp

Hi Carla,

You and I have the same issues. What has helped me the most are:

1) Regular chiropractic adjustments - I'm really finally getting to a point where my lower back is virtually problem free. Upper back is still tricky, likely due to being hunched over a computer for work and driving.....

2) Pilates - I use a variety - the basic mat sequence plus side series does a nice job for me. I like Ana Caban, Jennifer Kries, etc. However, one thing I don't do is flatten my back to the floor - one of my issues is that my lower back arch is too flat so I avoid anything that flattens it. I also try to incorporate a lot of plank work.

3) Yoga - the more restorative practices - such as those by Suzanne Deason (Yoga for Weight Loss), Rodney Yee (Yoga for Athletes, Back Care Yoga), Barbara Benagh (any, really!). I keep meaning to try Jill Miller, too as I have heard such good things!

4) Classical Stretch - Again, can't go wrong! I second the vote for the Core Workout, I also like the new and old Back Pain DVD, and her Full Body Workout Volume 2. Really, they are all good!

Hope this helps!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 06:51 PM  
killoffsonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
T-tapp, the Basic Workout is designed to "put your body in alignment."

I did the barefoot BWO this morning, and I could feel my spine, hips, knees, shoulders go into alignment. My spine feels great, and all those muscles attached to my vertebrae got a good stretch before they fell into line.
T-Tapp has a barefoot workout? Or do you just do the regular BWO in barefeet? I tried doing workouts barefoot before but it hurt.
Old 05-25-11, 06:52 PM  
killoffsonny

T-Tapp or pilates both help my lower back and hips.
Old 05-25-11, 07:53 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by killoffsonny View Post
T-Tapp has a barefoot workout? Or do you just do the regular BWO in barefeet? I tried doing workouts barefoot before but it hurt.
She just put out a barefoot dvd. It's the basic workout, and it takes 29 minutes, but the form pointers are astounding, and the instructional, which is right at 45 minutes, has even better form pointers. Those form pointers really kick alignment to a new level.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 08:04 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Interesting thread. I have V-Core and I have only done it 2-3 times in the past year. I thought it was OK, but I can't get into it, and I just don't feel the love....Maybe I should give it another try.
Usia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-11, 07:59 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Interesting thread. I have V-Core and I have only done it 2-3 times in the past year. I thought it was OK, but I can't get into it, and I just don't feel the love....Maybe I should give it another try.
I don't feel the love for V-core, but I find the sections are short enough to do as add-ons to other workouts. I don't find them helpful for adjusting my alignment, but they are superb at strengthening my alignment once I've put myself in muscular/skeletal alignment.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-11, 08:14 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith L View Post
Some years ago when I lived in Manhattan I dared to drop in at a couple of barre classes at one of the major dance companies. I couldn't get over how that one-hour class affected my posture for the rest of the week. Thinking of that I'd suggest Finis Jhung's Level 1 Barre dvd, which begins with a couple of lessons on alignment. (Maybe you can rent if from Netflix or KineticFlex or borrow it from a library.) He also has a new "anti-aging" dvd out for non-ballerinas called "Ballet Plus". And then, though I haven't tried any, I'm thinking that a "floor barre" dvd might be helpful since such work emphasizes proper alignment in non-weight-bearing positions. In any case, doing ballet exercises at the barre, keeping hips square and "lifting up", even for a short time, helps me greatly with my posture.
Oooh, I never heard of either of those - thank you Judith!

ETA: expensive, but the exercises look delightful.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-11, 09:00 AM  
killoffsonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
She just put out a barefoot dvd. It's the basic workout, and it takes 29 minutes, but the form pointers are astounding, and the instructional, which is right at 45 minutes, has even better form pointers. Those form pointers really kick alignment to a new level.
I just went out and bought a pair of shoes so I could get back into t-tapp. I did the Total Workout Rehab this morning. Now she has a barefoot workout....I think I might want it.

Tags
alignment, anti-aging ballet, calisthenics, dr eric goodman, finis jhung, jennifer rhodes