Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-11, 10:13 AM  
CarlaVeg

Workouts to re-align your body?

What would you recommend? I am having some misalignment issues... lower back/hip and shoulder... I am working on my posture and doing some of the egoscue pain free exercises... I also want to work on balancing all muscles... I think some dvds work some muscle groups more than others.

Anyway, is FitnessFix something that would fit the bill? what other dvds will help with these issues?

Thanks,

Carla

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 10:19 AM  
Demeris

T-tapp, the Basic Workout is designed to "put your body in alignment."

I did the barefoot BWO this morning, and I could feel my spine, hips, knees, shoulders go into alignment. My spine feels great, and all those muscles attached to my vertebrae got a good stretch before they fell into line.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 10:30 AM  
Hazel Porter

V-Core works on alignment and posture -- I always feel taller when I'm done!
Old 05-25-11, 10:59 AM  
KathAL79

Jill Miller focuses a lot on bringing the body back into balance through her yoga that she combines with calisthenics and other exercises. Her Post-Athletic Stretch may be a good place to start.

The Fitness Fix series is pretty good, although it's worth noting that they're half demo, half follow along, meaning Denise does the exercises in real time so you can follow along but doesn't count out reps or anything, leaving it up to you to make sure you do the same amount (or more, if needed) on the right and left.

Two books I haven't yet looked at personally but which may be of value to you are Dr. Eric Goodman & Peter Park's Foundation: Redefine Your Core, Conquer Back Pain, and Move with Confidence and Jennifer Rhodes' Peak Performance Fitness: Maximizing Your Fitness Potential Without Injury or Strain.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 11:22 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Gin Miller's Straight UP Stick is also good for re alignment.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 11:59 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79 View Post
Jill Miller focuses a lot on bringing the body back into balance through her yoga that she combines with calisthenics and other exercises. Her Post-Athletic Stretch may be a good place to start.
I love Jill too. PAS is great and some of her older stuff is very good too. I love Pelvic Primer and Triangle Tune Up for the hips. Shoulder Shakti is very nice too. Her Yoga Link Hip Helpers and Shoulder Shape Up are both effective, but longer and quite intense. She uses a lot of asymmetry and flowing joint lubricating movements and it sure works for me. Knotted muscles can contribute to feeling unbalanced too. Her Yoga Tune Up ball sequences are effective for loosening up those knotted muscles, but again quite intense. You can get a similar effect with other softer balls that you can find at the dollar store. Lately I have been using a mini Nerf football along my spine to open my chest and work out some knots. It works well.

I also find yin yoga helps me if I am feeling stiff and unbalanced, but it is an acquired taste. I love Kim Eng's Yin Yoga, but it's quite new agey. Paul Grilley's Yin Yoga is nice too, but he does talk a lot. I like Jennifer Kries Yin Yoga too, but she doesn't hold the poses long enough and you need to pause the dvd with each pose for it to be effective.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 01:11 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I would second V-Core. Also, anything Classical Stretch. Miranda has several episodes entitled "Posture".
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 01:24 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Classical Stretch Core Workout (1 hour). It's a great posture program.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 02:01 PM  
Demeris

I almost forgot this one:

http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...ew.php?id=2794
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 02:10 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Yes, I forgot about this one too! Lauren gives meticulous alignment and form instruction. It is great for the shoulders.

Other yoga dvds with excellent shoulder work are Ana Forrest's Strength & Spirit, Erich Schiffman's Backyard Beginners, and Yoga in the Garden of Serenity.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, anti-aging ballet, calisthenics, dr eric goodman, finis jhung, jennifer rhodes