Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-11, 07:12 PM  
counterclockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplain View Post
I just read and enjoyed You Are Your Own Gym, which is focused on bodyweight exercises. The text is sometimes snort-worthy (macho man stuff ), but the exercises and routines look good. My library's Overdrive subscription had it available as an e-book.
Are the workouts in this book just as tough on the lower body as the upper body? I know sometimes guys are a bit more interested in developing their upper bodies. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
I just read "Foundation: redefinie your core, conquer back pain, and move with confidence" by Dr. Eric Goodman and Peter Park. It's focused on strengthening the posterior chain through a 6-week program (2 weeks of each level, 20-40 minutes per workout, 3 times a week).
Sounds good!
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 05:05 PM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandy View Post
I sent an email to Dr Goodman telling him how great I thought his book was but wished he would make a DVD and here is his prompt reply:

"We are certainly going to make videos. As we just released the book this past week we are going to let the word spread a bit. This is a very new and unique type of exercise, it will be nice to let people read the idea and science behind it. We have some very interesting videos and options coming out soon. Thank you so much for your interest, always feels good to get feedback! Lot's coming soon!

Eric"

He sure seems like a real nice guy! Now I can't wait.
Great news, thanks normandy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplain View Post

10-Minute workout from Lance Armstrong's Trainer

(As an aside, I don't understand the instructions for #5, the hip flexor stretch. From a long lunge, you are supposed to "bend your torso back and away from the rear leg to stretch the side of the body." How can I bend my torso back *and* away from my rear leg? Anyone wanna take a stab at explaining it to me? )
jplain, what he means is to extend your upper back backwards and then reach away from the rear leg i.e. to the right if the rear leg is the left leg. Here's a video of the exercise: http://youtu.be/NmXYL3hB_0M

Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 06:53 PM  
KathAL79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
I still want to do Cressey! I have kept him on hold because I've been so sucked into running, and have wanted to keep up my distance. Cressey says, and I frankly believe him, that distance running and MS are not really compatible - you won't get the most out of either if you try to combine them. If all of my race plans for the year go according to Hoyle, I will get to him later this fall or early winter.

I think you'd like NROL/Abs. It is much better than previous books in this series (including, peripherally, FBB) about giving variations for the exercises, so you can figure out what works for you and grow from there. They also expect you to do other stuff during the program, so it works well if you have other interests/physical hobbies.
I wouldn't be able to get to Cressey before the fall myself.
Good to know about the new NROL! I like the sound of options and the realization that maybe you have other fitness interests and, oh, a life, outside of doing their workouts (hear that, Rachel?).

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 07:51 PM  
jplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterclockwise View Post
Are the workouts in this book just as tough on the lower body as the upper body? I know sometimes guys are a bit more interested in developing their upper bodies.
Hmmm...I'm probably not the right person to ask. I thought it had more than enough variety and challenge for me, but I am especially focused on upper body and core right now. You could probably find a copy on the shelf to flip through at a Borders or a B&N.
jplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 07:53 PM  
jplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle* View Post
jplain, what he means is to extend your upper back backwards and then reach away from the rear leg i.e. to the right if the rear leg is the left leg. Here's a video of the exercise: http://youtu.be/NmXYL3hB_0M
Oooh, thanks for the video link. It looks like there are a few others too!
jplain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, dr eric goodman, foundation, foundation training, overdrive, whbbe, you are your own gym