Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-11, 10:40 AM  
caligurl

cathe's weight workouts (NOT sts! sts just made me squishy... ) and a very clean diet were the original thing for me (i.e. pyramids, bootcamp, gym styles, 4DS weight,) however i was cycling crazy miles at that time, too..

P90X is also great for devoping those muscles!

i maintain my muscle by doing a lot of kelley coffey-meyer, still stick cathe's good stuff in there... amy bento's (though not nearly as much... not as thrilled with her weight workouts)... jillian... bob harper's new weight workout... and of course: kettlebells for me, now that i have the muscle it's easy to maintain it....
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 10:45 AM  
bee1forfitness

For me Bands/Tubing, Bodyweight exercises and Kettlebells. Of course healthy, balance diet. I do very little cardio only Ketttlebells swings or other ballistic Kettlebell lifting exercises, and Tabata or AWT like Kelley Coffey-Meyer...I loveeee her the Lift DVD) works for me
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 10:56 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

P90x is doing it for me. All of the sleeves of my sweaters are skin tight.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 12:09 PM  
Cassy

I had p90x years ago and sold it but at the time I was really into going to the gym. I'm wondering what my opinion of it would be now. I also didn't have a good pullup bar and always felt a little left out doing this program.

I have CLX on it's way but I always worry about burning out on one dvd program so I'll look into KCM and the Cathe's mentioned for variety too.

Thanks!
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 12:27 PM  
caligurl

LOOK AT THAT PUPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! did you just recently change your avatar? OMG.... tooooo cute!
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 12:31 PM  
Cassy

Yup our brand new french bulldog puppy
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 01:13 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmaniac View Post
I don't have the titles mentioned in the OP,but have been doing Slow and Heavy titles since Jan. Once a week I did The FIRM Super Sculpting,and in 2 months saw visible definition (additional to existing) esp. in tri/bi/delt areas. Now I have been doing Strong Bear,Fast Cheetah,Tortoise and Hare along with cardio.ZFirm and Fitprime titles) I haven't specificially tried to 'diet',so having the visible results is very encouraging..hope you can find a mix that works for you!
people complimented my physique after i had done 2 Firm rotations, the classic Firm 90DR. that was the first time i ever heard anyone (other than DH) pay me a compliment. thereafter, i did a SS rotation, then a modified AWT rotation and people began asking me for advice! then best of all, the athletes at work (aerobics instructors, marathoners, triathletes) welcomed me into their club.

....sheesh...i should follow my own advice, huh?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 01:19 PM  
icebergslim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
This isn't really an answer to your question, but I think the key to having your muscles show is a low level body fat.

Most figure competitors do lots of cardio and watch their diet in addition to their weight training.
Agree here. Want that body like that? It is about your DIET. You can gain the muscle definition along the way. Those exercisers have very low body fat, as Jane P. pointed out and that is about your diet.
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 01:43 PM  
icebergslim

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatski View Post
Circuit workouts with short, intense intervals have worked for me. I love Paul Katami's Bootcamp 4x4 and Cathe's Bootcamp.
I agree here. Or short cardio bursts along with working various body parts weekly.
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 03:20 PM  
Kyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgen View Post
Not really a video put I put on muscle quite easily when I simply increase the poundages I work with in my basic bodybulding routine, just classic weightlifting.

I love a muscular look also, though not sometimes. I am an older person than many who post here but seem to be quite muscular.

I kind of cycle it up and down, but really for health, one can't have too much muscle.

It is not about competition as a bodybuilder, it is about feeling the way we want to feel as we age.

For me, that means strong!
I'm in a similar boat. I've found nothing on video works like lifting progressively heavier weights/using progressively more challenging exercises and programs in a gym/home gym setting. I'm not at all interested in body building, just building a strong and durable body that holds up well for other sports (running and martial arts at the moment, who knows what else in future). I don't at all OBJECT to looking good, and I like the look I get from this style of lifting, but I also love it for what it is, and in a way that trumps all.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4 system, firm 90 day rotation, muscle building, muscle growth, paul katami, the firm success stories