Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-11, 05:10 PM  
Cassy

Favorite workout to put on muscle

I love the look of the girls in the S90 video. Strong, muscular look. Wonder what video you did that you think really packed on the muscles. P90x, CLX, STS, kettlebells? S90 has probably not been out long enough for people to have results yet.
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-11, 05:45 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

This isn't really an answer to your question, but I think the key to having your muscles show is a low level body fat.

Most figure competitors do lots of cardio and watch their diet in addition to their weight training.
Old 04-20-11, 06:20 PM  
evenstar

Actually, lots of cardio can get in the way of building muscle. Competitive bodybuilders and figure competitors tend to have a building period, where they eat a lot, lift very heavy and pack on the muscle. Then they have a period just before competition where they start doing more cardio, cut their carbs way down and ease up on the lifting. That allows the body fat to go down and they lose water weight as well just before competition, showing off their muscles more.

I wouldn't follow a bodybuilding regime unless you wanted to compete. A lot of bodybuilders go into competition feeling very dehydrated and basically like utter crap. Off season, they weigh a lot more. You're better off with a much more balanced approach on a year round basis.
Old 04-20-11, 06:50 PM  
Tugger31

STS Mesocycle 2 !!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 08:10 AM  
neatski

Circuit workouts with short, intense intervals have worked for me. I love Paul Katami's Bootcamp 4x4 and Cathe's Bootcamp.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 08:16 AM  
imhere2dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
This isn't really an answer to your question, but I think the key to having your muscles show is a low level body fat.
I agree. My dumbbells are 1, 2, and 3 pounds. I use them three days a week and do Denise Austin and Tamilee Webb workouts that are 10-15 minutes in length. I also use them sometimes while doing walking workouts. Nothing hard for me! LOL I have very nice muscles in my arms. My legs are also very muscular from walking, Pilates three days a week, and a few squats and lunges every morning. My body fat level is very low.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 08:38 AM  
Buttercup

P90X has worked very well for me. Probably because of all the pullups and pushups. I did CLX and then Insanity before P90X and have had great results.

I haven't done STS, yet. That's my summer project.

A couple of years ago I did New Rules of Lifting and then the one for New Rules for women, and that had some muscle building phases. But, those are paper routines, which sometimes I like and sometimes I don't.
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 08:39 AM  
firmaniac

I don't have the titles mentioned in the OP,but have been doing Slow and Heavy titles since Jan. Once a week I did The FIRM Super Sculpting,and in 2 months saw visible definition (additional to existing) esp. in tri/bi/delt areas. Now I have been doing Strong Bear,Fast Cheetah,Tortoise and Hare along with cardio.ZFirm and Fitprime titles) I haven't specificially tried to 'diet',so having the visible results is very encouraging..hope you can find a mix that works for you!

Please visit 'The FIRM Ephemera Scrapbook' on facebook for a visual history of The FIRM
firmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 09:18 AM  
2ndgen

Not really a video put I put on muscle quite easily when I simply increase the poundages I work with in my basic bodybulding routine, just classic weightlifting.

I love a muscular look also, though not sometimes. I am an older person than many who post here but seem to be quite muscular.

I kind of cycle it up and down, but really for health, one can't have too much muscle.

It is not about competition as a bodybuilder, it is about feeling the way we want to feel as we age.

For me, that means strong!
2ndgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 09:24 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgen View Post
it is not about competition as a bodybuilder, it is about feeling the way we want to feel as we age.

For me, that means strong!
Completely agree!

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4 system, firm 90 day rotation, muscle building, muscle growth, paul katami, the firm success stories