Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-11, 04:33 PM  
dmlarue1

Do you use ankle weights and do they bulk your legs?

I am loving margaret richards workouts....She does a ton of floor work and I was just wondering if anyone adds ankle weight to these...if you do have you noticed any bulking? My quadriceps would get much bigger with firm and cathe weight training but that's primarily squats and lunges etc....
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 05:09 PM  
videofit

I think it depends on your body type. As an ectomorph who uses 2.5 lbs. ankle weights (I put both weights on one leg for inner and outer thigh work and one weight on each leg for quads and hamstrings), I'd like my legs to bulk up a bit but they don't. They just get nicely shaped, which is better than nothing. Maybe because she does so many reps it prevents bulking? I have no idea.
Old 02-15-11, 05:39 PM  
Sara1000

What videofit says! I used to use 5 pound ankle weights for floor work but strained a muscle in my rear that way so am just easing into using ankle weights again.

Like videofit I WISH I could bulk up my legs a bit!
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 06:37 PM  
juberann

I am not looking to bulk up my legs but I sure wouldn't mine some definition and Tracie Long is going to be helping me with that Barre workouts bulk up my legs more then using light weights ever did, I am the opposite of most women, I think, and I found this out the hard way just recently. I have been doing mainly Barre for the past few weeks and have gained inches in my thighs my pants are tighter, that is the first thing I noticed. They feel more "solid" but they are larger, not exactly what I'm looking for. I will still incorporate a Barre workout into my week but not 3-5 times a week like I have been doing.
That said, ankle weights never made me bulk (personally) but it's been awhile since I have used them. Tracie Long uses them in her newest LONGevity workout, Leaning Out, but I didn't put them on (actually, I just found them). I love having strong legs, it powers everything else I do in my daily life. Hopefully, when adding ankle weights, I won't bulk up my thighs, I didn't when I was younger and hopefully I won't now
juberann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 06:57 PM  
brownie123

I can get muscle definition easily, but I do not bulk up with ankle weights. In fact...I LOVE them! Rock hard bum thanks to my 4 pound ankle weights. I do high reps (50+) with my weights. I really like them. Some days, I do workouts without them to change it up....but, all in all, I use them a few times a week. HTH
brownie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 07:25 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I don't have any issues with bulking from ankle weights... just cookies and the like.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 07:31 PM  
ldy_solana

when i used them i didn't bulk much, and i usually do. i would be careful with the weight and reps used b/c it could put excess strain on joints just b/c of the placement of the weights. somebody recommended thigh weights as an alternative.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 09:10 PM  
laurajhawk

I hadn't used ankle weights for years till I got Brazil Butt Lift (the High & Tight workout uses ankle weights for lots of moves). For me, BBL is a really "anti-bulk" program - my thighs and hips definitely got slimmer.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 09:07 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I usually use weights more moves like 'donkey kicks' and other moves in that position. For inner and outer thigh work lying on one's side, I hold a dumbell above the knee, on the lower quad (to avoid sideways pressure on the knees).

I don't find ankle-weight exercises to be 'bulking'.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 11:51 AM  
Mary09(b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
I usually use weights more moves like 'donkey kicks' and other moves in that position. For inner and outer thigh work lying on one's side, I hold a dumbell above the knee, on the lower quad (to avoid sideways pressure on the knees).

I don't find ankle-weight exercises to be 'bulking'.
I've read and heard that the only range of motion safe for the knees with ankle weights on is to move the knee in its usual hinge path. Any side to side movement puts too much lateral pressure on your knee joint. Like Kathryn said, a safer alternative is to hold a dumbbell on the thigh for lateral raises and that sort of thing.
Mary09(b) is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ankle weights, bulking, lower body, thigh weights