Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-10, 05:16 PM  
andtckrtoo

Anyone use an under desk cycle or stepper?

I'm considering getting an under-desk mini bike or stepper to get a small amount of exercise while sitting at my desk. Does anyone here have one? If so, which one and how do you like it?

I hate how much time I spend on my butt during the day. I would love a treadmill desk, but my company won't spring for it and I can't afford it right now.
andtckrtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 07:19 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

That is a great idea... and those tend to be fairly affordable...

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 07:29 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbee View Post
That is a great idea... and those tend to be fairly affordable...
Exactly! I'm just looking for someone who has one who can recommend one.
Old 12-11-10, 11:00 AM  
fitgirl-atx

Hi andtckrtoo:

This is a great post! I really want a Woodway treadmill desk, but I can't justify the price either. Your post had me doing some research on the under desk ellipticals, cycles, and steppers available. There are plenty to choose from.

I think the Gamercize PC Sport has the most potential, but it's a much higher price point than the under $50 models. It costs $249.
http://www.gamercize.net/pcsport.htm

I hope some others with experience with under desk equipment chime in. I suffer from horrible edema while sitting at my desk, and I think that some type of way to keep circulation going and burn calories while I spend 10+ hours working would be awesome!

Thanks for starting this thread!
fitgirl-atx
fitgirl-atx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-10, 11:20 AM  
sherry7899

A friend of mine bought one for $25 at Walmart that she likes. (under desk cycle).

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 12:31 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

I have looked for one for a couple of years and can't really find any positive reviews on any of them
QVC has one every now and then but the reviews are iffy at best.
I have tried a couple out at the stores, but found the tension to be inconsistent and sometimes even painful to my knees.
Most of the issues I have read about are stability issues, where you are pedaling along and it rolls on you or just flies away from you or even more annoyingly just kind of scoots away from you. Granted, you are sitting down and the chance of injury is low, but for me that would just tick me off enough to throw it in the donate pile.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 01:08 PM  
Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post
I have looked for one for a couple of years and can't really find any positive reviews on any of them
QVC has one every now and then but the reviews are iffy at best.
I have tried a couple out at the stores, but found the tension to be inconsistent and sometimes even painful to my knees.
Most of the issues I have read about are stability issues, where you are pedaling along and it rolls on you or just flies away from you or even more annoyingly just kind of scoots away from you. Granted, you are sitting down and the chance of injury is low, but for me that would just tick me off enough to throw it in the donate pile.
I just ordered one from Amazon for my 92-year-old mom for Christmas. (HERE at Amazon)

It gets good reviews, and the first reviewer says that placing a rubber bath/shower mat under it solves the slipping problem completely.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 01:19 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

That's good to know.
Thanks, Brick.

Let us know how it works out.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 09:20 PM  
andtckrtoo

I may order that one. I can get a gray rubber mat from Target for it. Thank you!
Old 12-13-10, 12:14 AM  
Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
I may order that one. I can get a gray rubber mat from Target for it. Thank you!
Lol! I just bought a little rubber bath mat at Target this evening to send to my mom along with the cycle.

Hope these turn out to be good machines that serve us well!
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mini bike, stepper, under desk cycle