Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-10, 12:49 AM  
jennstar

Anyone here ever break their ankle?

I broke my ankle in three places last Thursday, and I'm scheduled for surgery on Tuesday. My timing couldn't be worse, we were supposed to take a cruise in early Janurary, my husband is graduating next week, and of course the holidays are coming up.

For those who have broke an ankle, how long was it before you were able to workout like you did prior to your injury? I am an intensity junkie and love Cathe, Turbo Fire, and fast paced circuits. I am so bummed about not being able to workout, it was the best part of my day.

Hopefully someone can give me a little encouragement!

Jenn
jennstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 01:03 AM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

Hi Jenn,

So sorry about your injury! Also sorry to say that ankle breaks take a very long time to heal. My husband broke his ankle in several places 2 years ago and the healing process was long. He couldn't put any weight on it for 4 months (right foot which meant no driving!) and then spent another few months in a boot, etc. Now perhaps your break is not as bad as his -- obviously your Dr. will advise. The best thing to do is to heed your Dr.'s advice and go slowly. He has returned to his favorite form of exercise and also the activity that caused the break (mountain biking) and takes hikes, etc. He won't do any activities that can compromise his ankle (e.g. squash, ice skating), but he has healed.

Wish I could pass along more positive news. Maybe others have had different experiences and will chime in with happy tales

Take it easy!!! You can ask your Dr. about doing upper body work, etc., while you heal.

Ronnee
ronnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 09:12 AM  
Eibhinn

I've never broken my ankle, but I have chronic instability in my ankles which leads to fairly frequent sprains and injury. The main thing with an ankle injury is to give it time to heal, because the more you push yourself the more likely you will end up with chronic problems/pain and persistent injuries. Trust me on that.

You'll have to ask your doctor what - and more importantly WHEN - is good for you to exercise, of course, but for me the most relibably ankle-friendly exercise has been swimming and cycling, which can both provide a very intense workout if you push yourself. The swimming has the benefit of being zero-impact, and not requiring any weight be supported by your ankle. It doesn't FEEL as intense, because you don't notice the sweating, but is a great full-body workout. With my instability issues I find cycling less challenging than walking, because my ankles are held in traction. I personally wouldn't recommend attempting high impact until you are sure the ankle is completely healed, so unfortunately I don't think you are currently Cathe's target cardio audience - nor will you be for quite some time. Once you're able to use DVDs again, maybe look into someone like Kelly Coffey-Meyer who provides a low-impact modifier.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 10:08 AM  
Erica H.

I broke my ankle 13 years ago and it took a full year (and two surgeries) to heal. My orthopedic surgeon told me it would take six weeks to be back to normal and it really depressed me that it was taking so long - I really thought I would never be back to normal again. Since it healed, it has been 100% fine, though. I'm a runner and can do any high impact activities with no problems at all.

I'm sorry about your injury and hope you have a quick, easy recovery.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 10:21 AM  
Jeanne Marie

My mom broke her ankle years ago (compound fracture) and it was never the same. Hers was really bad, so hopefully yours isn't as bad as hers was. She had multiple surgeries and it took about a year to heal. She was older than you too, so maybe that factored in.

I also have a neighbor who broke hers about 8 weeks ago. She still hasn't healed and is looking at possible surgery. She is, however, doing upper body work with dumbbells from a sitting position. Maybe you could do that?

I am so sorry you broke yours. I can't even imagine what that must be like. I hope your situation is much easier than most and that you're back on your feet again real soon!
Old 12-05-10, 11:15 AM  
ilovemygreatdane

Oh Jenn, hugs to you.
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 11:36 AM  
PLS

Best advice is what ever your Surgeon ok's you can do & what he says you can't do then don't. And give your body time to heal. It is frustrating when you are very active to wait to heal, but if you don't then the long term harm can be worse. I have not had any broken bones (other than toes), but I did have a severe sprain this summer. It took 3 months before I felt "comfortable" doing lateral moves. For the first 2 months I did lots of spinning and seated upper body work. I work in PT and they are amazed at how good my ankle rom is after the sprain. But I did all the exercises and followed what I was told. Not always happily. I hope you heal quickly and can get back to what you enjoy soon.
PLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 01:40 PM  
traceym1

I broke my ankle a couple years ago when I slipped on rocks. I have always had weak ankles. I could not even sit up for three months the pain would be so bad. Since doing CS/Essentrics, I learned the value of exercising barefoot and strengthening those feet. If you can sit with your feet down, spinal flexion moves would be wonderful. CS has some wonderful ones that you would have to adjust for the limitation of the chair but I think it is important to work the spine and you get the core and arms also. I did T-tapp for 11 years, never got the promised results, but she does have a chair workout. I may have a copy lying around, email me if you want and I will check. Otherwise take up drawing and reading. I went crazy but I found other forms of exercise that I would not have ever looked into otherwise if it were not for being bedridden.
Good Luck
Tracey
traceym1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 02:12 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

My son did 4 years ago right before Christmas and vacation, just as you did -- very inconvenient timing. He needed surgery, and a small rod, and was on crutches for about 16 weeks. He was back to normal in about 6 month. Now he runs, lifts and as active as any 22y old kid. Best of luck to you and a speedy recovery. BTW your triceps will be in an awesome shape by the time your ankle heals. You have to look at the bright side

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 03:30 PM  
kali1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennstar View Post
I broke my ankle in three places last Thursday, and I'm scheduled for surgery on Tuesday. My timing couldn't be worse, we were supposed to take a cruise in early Janurary, my husband is graduating next week, and of course the holidays are coming up.

For those who have broke an ankle, how long was it before you were able to workout like you did prior to your injury? I am an intensity junkie and love Cathe, Turbo Fire, and fast paced circuits. I am so bummed about not being able to workout, it was the best part of my day.

Hopefully someone can give me a little encouragement!

Jenn
I broke my ankle a few years ago. It took 6 months to heal. Of course I was in a cast about 5 months and a walking cast a month. It also took a few months of PT after that before I could even attempt Cathe or Kickboxing. It sounds discouraging but it's better to follow the doctors orders exactly and not do too much too soon. If you do, you run the risk of your ankle not healing properly. Sending you healing thoughts.

((((HUGS))))
kali1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ankle injury, broken ankle