Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-10, 02:50 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I have two sets that I bought from Target. I like using them. One set is 1.5 pounds each and the other is 2.5 pounds each.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 02:54 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty12 View Post

I did find that they hurt my bad knee when I wore them on my ankle. The PT told me to wear them just above my knee and that works great! No more stress on my knee from them and the exercise feels the same.
I generally wear them over the knee too. And, for me, never more than 2# on the ankle. I don't like to take even a slight chance on knee injury. Just not worth it for me.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 03:19 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Speaking of FIRM-related ankle weights, I kind of crack up at the "toe weight" segments on the old FIRMs. I have never in my life seen toe weights used in any other video!

They're very cute, though, but they look like they can't be more than a half a pound each. If you're going that light, what on earth is the point?
The ones they use around the toes are actually ankle weights too and they're 1.5lbs each.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 03:51 PM  
Scbayless

I use mine all the time. I add them on to things I feel aren't hard enough. I use 5lbs or 2lb.
Scbayless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 04:40 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I still use mine as well. I have a pair of 2.5# ankle weights that I whip on for a lot of different things, and a larger pair of adjustable weights that go up to 10# each (!!!) that I got at Walmart years ago, and they are so large that they fit above my knees on the thighs. I have had them set on 6# each which sounds like a lot but with the location above the knee, it does not stress the joints, and they work graet for Firm-esque table work and side laying work-very intense and effective.
Old 10-16-10, 05:30 PM  
dnna

what the heck? I did not get the Burn notice on ankle weights. I have 1/2 pound, 1 lb. 2 lb 3lb 4lb and 5 lb that are adjustable.
I use them all the time. Margaret Richard says- the agreement we had, but did not discuss is you could use ankle weights if you are strong enough and can use good form
( I have Triple Threat memorized)
I use the 1 pound with Winsor buns and thighs-the classic 20 minute routine and started using 2 pounds with Fitprime FloorBurn.
I used to use the 5 pound ones a lot!
dnna
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 05:53 PM  
videofit

My ankle weights were the first weights I ever bought, about twenty years ago. They have five little pockets each to hold half pound weights. I remember when I added two little weights to equal a pound, I thought it was so difficult! Now I strap on both to one leg (above the knee and on the ankle) for lying side floorwork to equal five pounds. That's not much of a challenge any more but I don't want to buy any more equipment. I could always hold a dumbbell on the leg if I were really motivated.
Old 10-16-10, 06:57 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
The ones they use around the toes are actually ankle weights too and they're 1.5lbs each.
Thanks for the clarification! They just looked so TINY!

Tags
ankle weights, dumbbell size, thigh weights