Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-08, 05:54 PM  
michl43

I did Unplugged Vol 1 one this morning, my first M.R. dvd ever. I really like it, very original and effective, and she is delightful.
michl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-08, 07:41 PM  
sundari

Wow sounds awful Thanks for all the details. Glad I didn't download it.
Old 08-31-08, 09:36 AM  
Gardengirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti S.
Barking dogs is one thing, but oinking pigs is another matter entirely!
OMG, I didn't make it far enough to hear the oinking pigs! For any of you listening to the free download and not having done any of Margaret's workouts, please don't judge her by the walking workout! This one just isn't her forte!
Old 08-31-08, 03:36 PM  
CosmicCritter

This thread has made me very curious about MR. I checked out Triple threat from the library and I do like it. As a mid-50's girl, I'm a little overwhelmed by Cathe. I'm just coming out of a long illness and definitely need strength work as my muscles have atrophied somewhat. I was unable to do a long MR workout from Triple Threat, but I did do some and really enjoyed her and the segments that I did do.

What I am asking, as a new MR fan, which workout would be good for someone who is out of shape? If I were to buy 3 MR workouts, which 3 would be good for me? Say 3 tapes that were progressively more difficult. In fact, has somewhat ever rated her tapes from easiest to hardest. That is what I would love to have to know which order to buy her tapes.

Also, I am wondering what her leg work is like, other than floor leg work. All that I saw on Triple threat was lying leg work, except for one I think that was a modified lunge. What is her other leg work like on the videos? Does she do heavy lunges? Just what is the standing leg work like? How does it compare to Cathe, which i am very familiar with.

I find Margaret has just the right demeanor for me as and older exerciser. Not frantic like Cathe.

Could someone chime in with an easiest to hardest list of MR's tapes? Or at least a recommendation for the first 3 tapes a beginner would use?

that would be so great----thanks!!

The Firm Workouts Forever
CosmicCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-08, 04:13 PM  
Gardengirl

Dawna, the Unplugged series might be a good place to start. Those are short and you could do one every day, or you could string two together in one day and and skip a day. These are from her TV show and she has them arranged so that if you were to do them ever day, you would be focusing on a different muscle group.

I'm wondering if you have the Unplugged Series, would it be worth getting All My Best Volumes 1 & 2?
Old 08-31-08, 04:31 PM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardengirl
I'm wondering if you have the Unplugged Series, would it be worth getting All My Best Volumes 1 & 2?
I have both and my answer to that is a resounding yes! Unless it's extremely important for you to do workouts filmed outdoors only. All My Best is a mix, with many indoor workout segments and that might bother some people. And of course Unplugged is filmed outdoors.

And Dawna I agree with Judy, Unplugged is a good place to start for workouts by Margaret that are on the less difficult side of the scale. It's generally acknowledged MR's more recent workouts like Unplugged are less challenging than others she did earlier.

ETA: Actually I don't have the entire Unplugged series, only Vol. 1 from 1900. Maybe someone with the entire series might chime in with an opinion. You see sides of Margaret and her workouts in All My Best that the Unpluggeds don't expose you to. I love All My Best.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-08, 04:48 PM  
sherry7899

If you do decide to buy an Unplugged dvd, go for Volume One of either the 1900 or 2000 series. The Volume One discs have eight workouts on each disc (the workouts are 25 minutes long). The other volumes in the series have six workouts on each disc.

Another good one to start out with might be Fitness Becomes You. It's not "easy" but it less challenging than her other workouts.

Best of luck!
Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-08, 04:49 PM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicCritter
Could someone chime in with an easiest to hardest list of MR's tapes? Or at least a recommendation for the first 3 tapes a beginner would use?

that would be so great----thanks!!
This is tough. Her workouts are expensive and I don't think any VFer has them all or almost all of them. But if she keeps the sales up, especially like the last one, that may change over time. It's an interesting question though. Maybe Margaret herself could answer it.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-08, 04:51 PM  
CosmicCritter

Thank you Judy, Zebra, and Sherry. I will have a look at those. It sounds like the Unplugged are TV series, is that right? I'll have to do some researching on her site, and also, get the videos of Margaret's at the library. They have about 3 of her vids there.

thanks, that's a lot of help, especially since I know nothing about any of her workouts except Triple Threat.

thanks!

Old 08-31-08, 04:55 PM  
CosmicCritter

Sherry, the posts came in so fast, I didn't see your suggestion for the 1900 and 2000 series and Fitness becomes you......

thanks, I really do want specific suggestions and I appreciate it.

Maybe I will have to get all of them. Or maybe that is like a million bucks considering what you have all said about the inflated price of her videos.

thank you Sherry

Tags
beauty to the bone, margaret richard, thigh weights, triple threat