Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-07, 10:13 PM  
spotted zebra

Question Leg Weights vs. Ankle Weights

Does anyone use leg weights above their knees for floor work instead of ankle weights and if so, what has your experience been using them? I'm not sure who sells these, other than Margaret Richard for a hefty price on her website. It's an interesting idea and I'm curious to know more.

ETA: I found other sources that sell them when I did a google search for "thigh weights".
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-07, 08:49 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Ironwear makes a pair of ankle weights that can also be fastened above the knee, or you can just hold a dumbbell on the thigh, the way they do in Firm workouts.

I think it's safer to put weight above the knee when doing inner/outer thigh work, unless you stick with very light ankle weights, as it doesn't put pressure on the knee from the side the way ankle weights would.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-07, 09:06 AM  
spotted zebra

Thanks Kathryn. I read somewhere thigh weights put less stress on the knees and hips. I mostly use light weights so I'm probably okay right now. I can see how it would make a difference when you venture into heavier weights though.
Old 06-29-07, 09:45 AM  
snapfish45

I could be mistaken, but I thought I saw weights like you are describing in Sports Authority. If you have one nearby, it would be a good idea to check into it.

Snap out of it!
snapfish45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-07, 10:03 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Unfortunately I think my thighs are too big for thigh weights!
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-07, 10:31 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I have a set of "thigh" weights that I bought at Academy years ago. I hardly ever use them, but if I were to do a lot of floor work, I would pull them out again.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-07, 01:33 PM  
Bebop

I just hold a dumbell on the working leg - ALA Classic Firm Style - Vol1.

Ofcourse, that wouldn't work for table work but on occassion,I have held a dumbeill in the working leg in back of the knee doing table leg work where the working leg is bent in a 90 degree angle. I also have a soft weighted ball from one of the Fitprimes tht works too.

Just a suggestion if you don't want to look around for weights above the knee.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 12:15 PM  
spotted zebra

Sheepla I was wondering about size, too. They say one size fits all, but I'd still want to know how big they can comfortably go before ordering.

Thanks for the suggestions on stores. We don't have Academy or Sports Authority around here and the fitness stores I've been to just have ankle weights. I've held dumbbells on my thighs Firm style and behind my knees, but it would be more convenient to use thigh weights. Especially with two cats circling around me and distracting me when I work out...

If anyone's curious here are some websites.

http://www.willowear.com/prod01.htm

http://www.firmfit.com/otherproducts.html (also Willowear)

http://www.ironwearfitness.com/weighted-belts.html

http://www.nefitco.com/thigh_weight.html

There's also a funny looking contraption I don't see myself ordering:

http://www.thighmate.com/

For me it would be a toss up between Willowear and Ironwear.
Old 06-30-07, 12:56 PM  
Orlita

It seems to me that all but the garter-strap one would slip down my legs. But the strap one would consequently end up weighing down the waistband/back, which could spell danger. But I would lean toward that one myself because at least it wouldn't fall off if I were doing standing exercises.

Anyone tried these?
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 01:02 PM  
spotted zebra

Orlita, I was thinking that. I don't have to worry as much about slippage as I'm usually down on the ground (horizontal) when I do my leg work. For something like kickboxing or standing exercises I can see how you'd want it to be extra secure. The Willowear one is supposedly designed not to slip. The stretchy band (instead of adjustable straps) might make a difference. Don't know about the others. The strap-on contraption looks like it would take forever to put on and off. If I did kickboxing, etc. I guess it might be worth it. I just wouldn't want anyone seeing me in that thing! I think the thigh-mate only goes up to 3 lbs on each leg.

Tags
thigh weights