Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-13-07, 11:06 AM  
Deb R
VF Supporter

Talking I liked them!

I tried out Body Blast, Amazing Abs and Calm Down Dog yesterday and enjoyed all 3 of them. But then I knew when previewing them I would enjoy them. I’ve seen other yoga workouts with instructors of less attire and unfit, flabby physiques that don’t seem to bother most VFrs but yet they bothered me. And yet seeing Eric shirtless and oiled with his necklaces didn’t bother me but it just goes to show you that people have a diverse way of appreciating or not appreciating certain body physiques, attire and accessories. I’ve learned from experience that if I had gone with the flow for most video reviews (not purchased the bad or purchased just the good) I would not be happy with a lot of my stuff. So with my experience I have to find out for myself and sometimes I feel like I waste my money and other times I don’t. I’ve learned that I get the best ‘pre review’ by watching video clips of the actual workouts. So in this case I went with the descriptions of the videos and the video clips not with the hyped up marketing ploys by the company with their emails etc.

A little about my yoga personality…I do not really enjoy the pure form of ashtanga or hatha yoga workouts nor do I like pure form of pilates. I enjoy fusions of yoga/pilates/dance/martial arts/ballet or the yoga workout has to have some uniqueness to it…not the same ole same ole. I can certainly relate that the VFrs who prefer true pure yoga will probably not enjoy these. To me Chalene brought ‘fun’ into Kickboxing, Shaun T brought ‘fun’ into ab workouts and now Eric is bringing fun into ‘yoga’. IMHO this series will grab the attention of those who are looking for uniqueness, fusion, a little danciness and not so serious yoga. I found all this with the 3 workouts I tried yesterday. There is very little danciness to these 3 workouts workouts (I do not attest to the live one yet as I have not done it and only fast forwarded through my preview) I HATE hip hop/salsa, latin, belly dancing, strip teasing workouts or any hi/lo or step with dancy complex choreography. I prefer athletic, no nonsense cardio and yet with yoga I prefer the less ‘true to form’ fashion. However, when previewing the live workout and watching some of the free form dance I think I will like it cuz it reminded me of when I used to go out to the dance clubs/bars and dance with my boyfriends/husband. That kind of dancing I can ‘do’ and ‘enjoy’

The 3 workouts I tried are not structured for only advanced or only beginner exercisers. I feel that all levels can find something out of these workouts. I am not looking at this series as ‘kickboxing’ so his martial arts sequences he does is a nice break and uniqueness to the rest of the yoga flow. Some people who are not experienced martial arts/kickboxers may not be shown proper form but for those who are experienced you will know how to modify to suit your needs. I felt Eric’s form was a little lacking and maybe that’s cuz he was more of a wanderer then an actual ‘doer’ in the workout so he was not focusing on the actual poses so much. He probably would have been better off by just cueing verbally with very good form pointers like Bryan Kest and not doing any of the poses. Maybe this would have helped those who were put off by his lack of form? Again it didn’t bother ‘me’ cuz I know about form and usually listen to cues more then watching when doing any type of yoga workout. You can either make these martial art moves more ‘lighter’ incorporating some danciness or like I did I still used ‘power’ with the punches and kept my lower body engaged lower in the plies and yet I still had rhythm in my body to the music so I had both lightness and power with my moves. I felt the heat build up inside my body too so I was sweating more then I thought…I think as with most forms of exercise videos…what you put ‘into’ the workout both frame of mind and your physical energy the more you will get out of these.

Sorry for such a long post and it may not be what you were intending to get out of your thread but I just wanted to point out some things about ‘me and my style’ to help someone else make a decision who might/might not be similar with the same yoga preferences understand these videos more.

Deb
Deb R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-07, 12:36 PM  
CarlaVeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb R
I tried out Body Blast, Amazing Abs and Calm Down Dog yesterday and enjoyed all 3 of them. But then I knew when previewing them I would enjoy them. I’ve seen other yoga workouts with instructors of less attire and unfit, flabby physiques that don’t seem to bother most VFrs but yet they bothered me. And yet seeing Eric shirtless and oiled with his necklaces didn’t bother me but it just goes to show you that people have a diverse way of appreciating or not appreciating certain body physiques, attire and accessories. I’ve learned from experience that if I had gone with the flow for most video reviews (not purchased the bad or purchased just the good) I would not be happy with a lot of my stuff. So with my experience I have to find out for myself and sometimes I feel like I waste my money and other times I don’t. I’ve learned that I get the best ‘pre review’ by watching video clips of the actual workouts. So in this case I went with the descriptions of the videos and the video clips not with the hyped up marketing ploys by the company with their emails etc.

A little about my yoga personality…I do not really enjoy the pure form of ashtanga or hatha yoga workouts nor do I like pure form of pilates. I enjoy fusions of yoga/pilates/dance/martial arts/ballet or the yoga workout has to have some uniqueness to it…not the same ole same ole. I can certainly relate that the VFrs who prefer true pure yoga will probably not enjoy these. To me Chalene brought ‘fun’ into Kickboxing, Shaun T brought ‘fun’ into ab workouts and now Eric is bringing fun into ‘yoga’. IMHO this series will grab the attention of those who are looking for uniqueness, fusion, a little danciness and not so serious yoga. I found all this with the 3 workouts I tried yesterday. There is very little danciness to these 3 workouts workouts (I do not attest to the live one yet as I have not done it and only fast forwarded through my preview) I HATE hip hop/salsa, latin, belly dancing, strip teasing workouts or any hi/lo or step with dancy complex choreography. I prefer athletic, no nonsense cardio and yet with yoga I prefer the less ‘true to form’ fashion. However, when previewing the live workout and watching some of the free form dance I think I will like it cuz it reminded me of when I used to go out to the dance clubs/bars and dance with my boyfriends/husband. That kind of dancing I can ‘do’ and ‘enjoy’

The 3 workouts I tried are not structured for only advanced or only beginner exercisers. I feel that all levels can find something out of these workouts. I am not looking at this series as ‘kickboxing’ so his martial arts sequences he does is a nice break and uniqueness to the rest of the yoga flow. Some people who are not experienced martial arts/kickboxers may not be shown proper form but for those who are experienced you will know how to modify to suit your needs. I felt Eric’s form was a little lacking and maybe that’s cuz he was more of a wanderer then an actual ‘doer’ in the workout so he was not focusing on the actual poses so much. He probably would have been better off by just cueing verbally with very good form pointers like Bryan Kest and not doing any of the poses. Maybe this would have helped those who were put off by his lack of form? Again it didn’t bother ‘me’ cuz I know about form and usually listen to cues more then watching when doing any type of yoga workout. You can either make these martial art moves more ‘lighter’ incorporating some danciness or like I did I still used ‘power’ with the punches and kept my lower body engaged lower in the plies and yet I still had rhythm in my body to the music so I had both lightness and power with my moves. I felt the heat build up inside my body too so I was sweating more then I thought…I think as with most forms of exercise videos…what you put ‘into’ the workout both frame of mind and your physical energy the more you will get out of these.

Sorry for such a long post and it may not be what you were intending to get out of your thread but I just wanted to point out some things about ‘me and my style’ to help someone else make a decision who might/might not be similar with the same yoga preferences understand these videos more.

Deb
Don't be sorry!! this is an excellent post!! Thanks for the review... you and I have many similarities... hopefully I will like these DVDs... I love yoga, but I have to confess that I became bored with the pure forms of yoga... same old same old... so hopefully this will bring a fun yoga routine to my house I also like kickboxing and definitely LOVE dancing in clubs... so this may fit the bill for me... we'll see

Hopefully most of the workouts are low impact as I'm having serious knee issues due to doing step and working out on carpet (I believe that's the reason).

Anyway, I will keep you all posted. As soon as I'll get the DVDs I'll try them and write a review.... at this point, I just have really low expectations.
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-07, 01:45 PM  
joyzersize

Carla, Aim low and you'll be sure to reach it. Or, if you don't expect much, everything will be a surprise. LOL Deb gave you a review that I agree with 100%.

I previewed part of the set and thought "cool", then I read some reviews and I thought: "Oh dang, my set is either going to have glitches in it or I am going to hate the workouts so much I will have to send mine back too."
However, actually DOING the workouts, I not only find that my DVDs are just fine...no glitches except for 1 premix that seems to start in a weird place...but that actually DOING the workouts is fun.

Maybe Eric is not true to form but he is about having fun and connecting with yourself. I was concerned upon preview of the free form dancing during the Live Hollywood sections. It looked weird to me somehow. But in doing the workout, the dancing is no more than doing hopping or running in place, etc. like I do in any other Hi/Lo workout. The only difference is doing it with a live rock band. I love the stretching, the ab work (your abs will burn on this one), the yoga-type moves, and the small amount (wish there was more) of kickboxing. I like the little recipe book for vegin ideas, and the CD to take along with you to do the workout wherever you go. This workout can be as easy or as hard as you want it to be because it is about 'you'.

I'm not crazy about Eric's song and singing during a cool down, nor am I crazy about some of his risque-like comments. I am personally not into philosophy so that particular CD may not ever get opened.That is just me. Yet I find that I will put this set to good use. I have done all the workouts from Friday night to Saturday and today my hamstrings and inner thighs are still on fire. All in all, I am so glad I bought this set.

So, I would suggest to try all the workouts when you get them before deciding if you love/hate it. Reviews can be misleading sometimes. Many times they are based on emotion and what else was going on that day. (sometimes). Negativity can also be contagious. Just my thoughts. Take it or leave it as the saying goes.

Wanda
joyzersize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-07, 03:03 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I'm glad this thread was started. Hopefully, it will remain positive. The other thread really bummed me out.

I haven't opened my box yet, mainly because of the other thread, but I'm hoping that I will be posting my thoughts on this thread. Thinking positive here.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-07, 03:15 PM  
tkoran

I'm really glad this thread was started too. I just received my set yesterday and haven't had a chance to view it either, but I am greatly relieved that there are some that like it. I'm one that's not bothered by alot of the things that others were complaining about, so I still have good hopes for these.

Tami
tkoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-07, 07:44 PM  
CarlaVeg

Tami and Debbie.... hurry and check it out

I will post my reviews soon!!!!!! Hopefully we will all like it....
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-07, 09:15 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I did the ab workout and Calm Down Dog today. I enjoyed both of them. I didn't know if I would like the ab workout since I usually only like standing ab work. But this workout had enough variety that I enjoyed it. Plus it was tougher than I thought on preview. In this workout, the punch section music had a more driving beat so I really put power in my punches.

The Calm Down Dog is relaxing. Eric is really calm in this one. On preview, I thought when Eric changed his voice and did jokes in his workouts, it was a little annoying. But I thought he was actually funny when I was working out to his three workouts that I've done so far (I did BB yesterday).

The production of these workouts are excellent. I also really enjoy the music. IMO, it's a lot better than listening to the same old Dynamix music or the generic stuff like the GoodTimes Firm music (I like the original Firm/FitPrime/WHFN music). When reading Bill Glaser's comments, he wrote that the company also thought about the environment when creating these workouts. They used recycled material and soy ink. They also put the workouts on two DVDs to make them more convenient for us and also because then it would also use less material. I really like that they thought of these type of things.

I must admit that before I previewed, I also read the negative reviews at VF and I started to get worried that I wouldn't like them either. So I'm glad that I kept an open mind about them and decided for myself. No, these workouts are not for everyone but I'm glad that now there are some positive comments too.

Helen
Old 05-14-07, 11:04 AM  
Annie S.
VF Supporter

I like them, too. The whole package has a "hippie" feel to it. He is very much like Bryan Kest, which is a good thing, IMO. I also loved the music . . . it goes really well with the workouts. I liked Eric's song, too.
Annie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-07, 11:31 AM  
Cim
VF Supporter

I liked the playfulness of the Live workout and there were definitely some challenging moves thrown in such as the backstroking in chair position. The free flowing dance segments actually felt good, especially with the live band. As fun though as free form can be it can also cause injuries (Once i hit 40, my body rebels if I practice anyting but perfect form). I think it's important that before doing his workout, you have a solid understanding of what to do and what not to do in your yoga practice. The kickboxing segments were slow and basic enough that I don't really see them causing problems. I probably won't do the full workout very often but I see promise in the add ons.
Cim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-07, 05:34 PM  
lorajc

I've done the Live one, Calm Down Dog twice and the Audio practice so far and I liked all of the. I actually like them more as I do them, as I'm learning to loosen up and not worry about what I looked like. I actually liked the free form dance parts in the Live one and I'm one that DID NOT like Trance Dance. Eric's free form is more like grooving in a pose or jumping up and down, etc. I like the hippie vibe also and the music is REALLY good on all of them. I like the Live Band music the least. The other ones have excellent music IMO. I really think they are a good fusion workout. The Audio workout actually gets your HR up a bit and is a nice 30 minute workout. It had kicking, punching sequences, standing yoga poses, pushups....and finishing poses.

Eric does remind me of Bryan Kest a lot. They sound somewhat similar to me.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
standing yoga, xflowsion