Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-02, 11:39 AM  
Punkin

Unhappy Help to decide what to buy?

I wish her website offered more information on the workouts! I checked it out and if you are lucky- you get 3 sentences describing each video! That's it! I'm thinking of the Upper Body Sculpture because there is a good review and her upper body workouts work, but can't decide on the 2nd one.

So please-if any of you reading this owns a Margaret Richard video--PLEASE review it. It would help alot of Vf'rs-THANK YOU!!
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-02, 01:10 PM  
WendyB
VF Supporter

Punkin

I will do more reviews of the tapes I do have. For now though, the only two I've actually done are Sculpture Upper Body and Getting Better, both of which I'd recommend without hesitation. I previewed the Sculpture Lower Body one and it also looks good. There's some standing leg work, but the floorwork segment is quite long and looks excellent. If you don't mind compilations, the All My Best ones are nice because of the way she broke the workout down, but I'm not certain that these will be favorites of mine (too burned out on Firm "Parts" tapes!). If you are looking for two tapes, I think the Sculpture series would be a good choice. I've also heard that her Body Bar tape is excellent. I was thinking about that one too. I'm glad I took a chance though and got the ones that I did. I was in the same spot you are in--no reviews--but I'm happy with what I've gotten so far.

"The ideal day never comes. Today is ideal for him who makes it so."
-– Horatio W. Dresser

Attitude is Everything!
WendyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-02, 05:53 PM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

Margaret's Raising the Bar

I just wanted to add to this thread that I have Margaret Richard's Raising the Bar video. I've only done it once, but I loved it and would recommend it! I will write a review after I've done it a few more times, but I'll share a few thoughts about it here. It's a body bar video. The upper body work was excellent. It's definitely an endurance workout. I liked the music in it and also really enjoyed Margaret. I don't get Body Electric in my area, so this was my first exposure to Margaret. I am definitely interested in more of her videos if only they weren't so expensive!

Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-02, 09:30 AM  
Messe

Thank you, Wendy B and Danielle!

I decided to order both Getting Better and Raising the Bar after following this thread and discovering Margaret's twofer special on her website, and I'm very glad I did! I received them on Saturday and managed to preview them both. I did Getting Better yesterday, and I really liked it. I foresee using this video fairly regularly to add a new dimension to my workouts--she does some interesting variations of standard exercises, and the sitting/lying aspect adds yet another variation. I'm looking forward to trying Raising the Bar later this week.

It's also great to get to work out with an instructor who's close to my age for a change. Charlene Prickett is 50+, but I've never been able to bond with her for some reason. I enjoy Margaret's low-key approach, and I really liked the music on Getting Better--a nice change from the usual thump-thump-thumping (which is okay some days but not others) and a great way to both get a good workout and settle down after a long day in the office. I can tell that I'm going to want more Margaret in my collection.

Wendy, I'll be especially interested to hear what you think of the two Sculpture videos.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-02, 11:26 AM  
BeeBee

I started weight training with Margaret's TV show also. She's great about form points and reminders about correct form through the exercises. Those reminders still sometimes run through my head when I'm doing other videos. Though her weight work was with light weights (on the TV show), she sure could get you!
BeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-02, 11:45 AM  
Freda
VF Supporter

For those of you who have seen Raising the Bar, can you tell me what poundage body bar would be appropriate. I'm interested in this tape, but only have one (15) pound body bar and don't want to buy another. Many thanks.
Freda
Freda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-02, 11:46 AM  
WendyB
VF Supporter

Hi Martha!

Glad you liked Getting Better. I have done Sculpture Upper Body once but haven't done Sculpture Lower Body yet. That's on the plan for this weekend though. I've been busy with work and haven't had as much time as I'd like, but it should settle down somewhat in the next week. I broke down and ordered Raising the Bar during her special as well. LOL. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it.

-– Horatio W. Dresser

Attitude is Everything!
Old 02-19-02, 12:51 PM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

Raising the Bar

Martha, please post after you've tried it. I would love to hear your thoughts on this video!

Freda, I have both 9 lb and 12 lb body bars. I think I used the 9 lb one for Raising the Bar. There are a lot of reps, especially the triceps exercises. If you are really strong you could probably use the 15 lb bar, but I think a lighter bar may work better as it's really more of an endurance workout.

Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-02, 01:25 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Hi Martha,

ankle weights and wrist weights work great for adding extra poundage to bodybars. If you have any at home, try it out.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-02, 02:47 PM  
WendyB
VF Supporter

I make a lighter "bodybar" by using my Ivanko padded barbell without plates (10 lb.). If I need it to be a 12lb. bar, I just add on the 1lb. donut weights that Karen Voight sells. I've thought about getting another lighter bodybar, but shipping costs to where I live are too much.

-– Horatio W. Dresser

Attitude is Everything!

Tags
thigh weights