Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-16, 03:31 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I just got this video today, and I did the tai chi section. OMG. This is exactly what I have been looking for!

--Mirror cueing
--Very clear instructions on what hand and foot to move when

All the moves that Jane teaches are moves that were taught in the live tai chi class I took, only not as well and as clearly as Jane teaches them. The live tai chi class includes many more moves than Jane teaches on this video. Although this just came out, I am going to ask her if she'd consider doing an all-tai chi video next time. Jane is simply a terrific instructor and if only for the tai chi section, this video is golden IMO.

I'll check out the other practices on the video later, but I just had to try the tai chi section first. It's wonderful.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-16, 08:27 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
I'll check out the other practices on the video later, but I just had to try the tai chi section first. It's wonderful.
Awesome! I wasn't interested in the tai chi sections, but maybe you've convinced me to give it a try.

I did the lower body stretch this morning after a walk. This one was all seated or standing: side bends and forward bends, calf stretch, and seated on the chair she stretched the inner thighs, hips, quads. I'd probably like it tacked on the end of another of her workouts, but *for me* (especially after a walk) I want to lay down on my mat and stretch my lower body a little more thoroughly.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-16, 01:12 PM  
JENILU

thank y'all so much for posting your thoughts!! i am so excited for this!!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-16, 07:58 AM  
alisoncooks

Another update:

My most-used practice on Gentle Yoga is the 18 minute Morning Energy practice. All standing and very gently loosens my body.

Well, I found a similar workout on the new dvd, that I find works well for me in the mornings. "Gentle chair-seated strength practice" comes in at 17 min. and it has that same feel-good response for me. It is very gentle but does a good job at waking up my morning-stiff ankles and feet. Short & sweet...and all seated.

Anyone else finding any new favorites?
Old 08-25-16, 11:33 AM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Another update:

My most-used practice on Gentle Yoga is the 18 minute Morning Energy practice. All standing and very gently loosens my body.

Well, I found a similar workout on the new dvd, that I find works well for me in the mornings. "Gentle chair-seated strength practice" comes in at 17 min. and it has that same feel-good response for me. It is very gentle but does a good job at waking up my morning-stiff ankles and feet. Short & sweet...and all seated.

Anyone else finding any new favorites?
Alison - my favorite from Gentle Yoga has always been the Computer and Desk work Relief one. It always helps my upper body (neck and shoulders).

I think the stationary balance and core will be my favorite on this DVD but I did also love that seated chair strength one you mentioned.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-16, 07:54 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Beckwith View Post
Alison - my favorite from Gentle Yoga has always been the Computer and Desk work Relief one. It always helps my upper body (neck and shoulders).

I think the stationary balance and core will be my favorite on this DVD but I did also love that seated chair strength one you mentioned.
I don't think I've done the Computer & Desk Relief practice. I found my favorites and stuck with them, LOL. I'll have to give that one a try. I do like the 30 min. balance/core from the new dvd. That is going to be used a lot.

Today, I did:
Leg Strength and
Upper Body Seated Strength & Mobility

I actually didn't expect much from these, but I found them sufficient for my wants/needs. I used heavier weights for the upper body, and I loved the mobility segment that she ends with. The lower body also was enough (especially for someone like me, coming off an injury and getting back into exercise). I put them together for a 25 minute strength routine.

Tags
balance, gentle yoga, jane adams, tai chi