Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-10, 06:37 AM  
TuesdayTaylor
VF Supporter

I was going to echo the recommendation for kundalini yoga dvds. Yoga Beauty Body by Ravi & Ana has very common hatha yoga poses within it but not a sun salutation in sight. I'd also recommend their Solar Power workout - spectacular!
TuesdayTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 01:14 PM  
HelloKitty88

Just curious. Why do you not want SunSalutations?

I like Sun Saltations but, I like doing them in one chunk. Maybe four to six passes and that's it. Move on to something else. LOL! I don't like a load of DownDog's either...bugs the ole wrists.
HelloKitty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 01:16 PM  
HelloKitty88

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
several of the Yoga Zones led by Alan Finger tend to not have the SS sequence. he focuses a lot on seated palm poses, which i like.

i agree w/you - i like SSs, but i sometimes think they're there to fill up the time!
I love the YogaZone stuff. So nice and a good balance of poses. Love to start with Potted Palm Series too. I wish they would have made more workouts...especially like YogaZone Strength and Endurance {Power Yoga} and Flexibility for Stress Release. Love those two workouts!
HelloKitty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 05:06 PM  
dmlarue1

thanks for all the suggestions!

I don't mind some sun salutations but my instructor did so many different poses. Alot of the DVDs I had were the same basic flow: sun salutation,warrior and tree. Thanks for the suggestions for new ones. I am getting some off my netflix account and ordering some others. Thanks again!!
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 07:41 PM  
warriorprincess

Ana Forrest's Strength & Spirit was the first video that popped in my head too. I also have a mild aversion to sun salutations.

Others I enjoy:

Erich Schiffman Backyard series for sure.

Paul Grilley's Yin Yoga has no flowing movements at all. Just very long passive stretches.

Jill Miller's Shoulder Shape-Up. True to its title, focuses entirely on the shoulder area.

Rodney Yee's Backcare Yoga. Feels so good. My all time favorite yoga DVD is his Yoga for Energy, but the third segment does have a few sun salutations. Also enjoy his AM yoga. Nice short practices.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 08:13 PM  
geojill

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions you've made. While I don't mind sun salutations, one of my shoulders can't really handle them (damage from an accident several years back) and too many makes it downright hurt (yes, I've had my form checked, too). Unfortunately, power yoga and flow-type yogas are my absolute favorite so I have to figure out how to do it without bothering my shoulder because I just can't see myself eliminating them...maybe just doing them a little less often.

ETA: I do have Jill Miller's Shoulder Shape-Up but haven't even viewed it yet

Last edited by geojill; 08-11-10 at 08:14 PM. Reason: forgot something
geojill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no sun salutations, sun salutations, yoga