Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-08-16, 10:53 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Comedy Movie recommendations

Can you guys recommend some comedy movies that you like? I get in a rut and need cheering up sometimes. I usually watch My Name is Earl, but I've done it so many times now it's starting to get tired.

TV shows are ok, but I have to be able to get it from the library. Someone posted a list of their favorite comedy TV shows on that TV shows thread and my library only had one (which I have on hold now.)
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 11:00 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Airplane!
The Princess Bride
Monty Python & the Holy Grail
Stripes
Ghostbusters

These are just a few of what I consider classics!

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 11:04 PM  
alisoncooks

The Pitch Perfect movies are my recent "need-a-laugh" favorites.

ETA: recently, in tribute to Alan Rickman, I watched Galaxy Quest for the first time. Very funny and I enjoyed it.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 11:33 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

What movies do you like - so we can see what we think is similar. One person's comedy....
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 11:45 PM  
Lorelai

Comedy is so subjective... but I enjoyed these off the top of my head:

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World
Moonrise Kingdom
Safety Not Guaranteed
Silver Linings Playbook

I also like Pitch Perfect when I'm in a certain mood... and Mean Girls.

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-16, 01:14 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
... ETA: recently, in tribute to Alan Rickman, I watched Galaxy Quest for the first time. Very funny and I enjoyed it.
Yep, very funny! Enrico Colantoni is almost unrecognizable, but still hilarious.

I also adore The Princess Bride. Have chunks of dialogue memorized, but it's so well written, I think that's kind of inevitable.

Slightly older movies? Soapdish (Whoopi Goldberg and Sally Field, among others) Trading Places, Ghostbusters, Groundhog Day, My Favorite Year

Classic older comedies? Arsenic and Old Lace is a good one. Kind Hearts and Coronets ?

My dad used to think 'Along Came Jones' was the funniest movie ever, but I haven't seen it in years and don't remember a thing. (Gary Cooper, 1945)

What's Up, Doc? ( Barbara Streisand/Ryan O'Neal ) from the early seventies, Not sure it holds up all that well, but I do remember liking it well enough to have my own copy in VHS years ago.

FWIW, I get tired of the joke-a-minute, laugh at others, style of 'comedy' that some people think is hilarious, and tend to prefer the sort of story that's more about laughing with people, not at them.
Old 02-09-16, 04:24 AM  
sugar rose

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

William Shakespeare, Hamlet
sugar rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-16, 04:43 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your replies. I guess part of the problem is I haven't watched many comedies in a long while. Those older ones don't push my buttons anymore, and many of them have shall we say cultural problems related to the times they come from that I have a hard time not taking too seriously or letting go of. Also, especially the ones from my childhood (the 80s) also just seem like they aren't funny, or are best left in the past.

I remember in the 90's I really liked Third Rock from the Sun. And like I mentioned, I like My Name is Earl enough to own the DVDs. I can't think of any comedy movies that I like, but I haven't seen any movies in ages.

I watched Birdcage with Robin Williams this summer as an homage to him (I did a Robin Williams binge - which was much shorter than I would have liked because my library was missing many classics.) This was really nice.

I didn't like Woody Allen movies even before I found out what he did to his daughter. Now that I can't stand the idea of him, I definitely don't want to watch his movies.

I just put Pitch Perfect (to give it a try), Galaxy Quest (as an Alan Rickman homage), and Groundhog Day in my library queue. Also, many of the suggestions are unavailable at my library.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-16, 06:00 AM  
Gams

Something's Gotta Give
Pillow Talk
The Big Chill
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-16, 06:38 AM  
Tugger31

The Heat
Legally Blonde
Stripes