Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-16, 10:18 PM  
Castella

Workout ideas for PF/Sciatica?

I got a pretty bad case of plantar fasciitis a month ago--bad because I didn't recognize what was going on and kept running several times before the pain really exploded. I don't know why, but I thought that pronators get PF and I'm a supinator (or under-pronator) and convinced myself that I couldn't get it and just assumed it was some weird "it'll go away soon" heel thing.

Along with high arches, I have the tight and inflexible calves, hamstrings and lower back. Even before the PF, I was having minor twinges in at the base of my spine, but with the PF, it's gotten worse. The pain is focused in the heel and low back.

I'm doing the recommended stretches for PF daily, and now I'm doing hip stretches for sciatica too. I've been able to keep doing kettlebell workouts, core stuff and weights. Walking is a big challenge. I've gone from walking an hour 5 days a week to walking 1 hour a week. Even using a walking pole or cane, walking really aggravates everything.

Does anyone have any ideas for non-aggressive stretch/gentle yoga DVDs, and cardio alternatives? I'm using the yoga stretches on yoga international for sciatica but I'd rather work along to something. I'm at a loss for cardio. Really do not enjoy swimming, nor is it convenient...maybe I need to get back to my Michael Olajide workouts. I'm open to barre if the pace isn't too fast. I can do StrongStride (I do mainly the hip workouts), but I've tried a few intro barre dvds in the past and in my current shape, I'm afraid if I go at a lightening pace, I'll add a new injury to the list. After my PF epiphany, I'm paying much more attention to even "innocent" aches and pains. I don't mind dialing it way back, but I am worried about being inactive since it can be counterproductive for healing. Open to and grateful for any DVD suggestions!
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-16, 10:36 PM  
BunnyHop

I developed PF a few years ago, and my recovery came in two stages.

For a while, the only thing that seemed to help stop the pain was wearing good shoes that lifted my heels just a bit higher than my toes. I wore Birkenstock arch supports that fit inside my walking shoes.

After a while, though, I had to quit wearing those, they stopped feeling comfortable. I'm guessing I'd healed whatever had needed healing, and just needed to focus on strength and flexibility. Both were key. Just flexibility wasn't enough for me.

Since then, Classical Stretch workouts have been a fairly regular part of my life, (As have some better shoes) and my PF has not returned.

Best of luck figuring out what works for your recovery.
Old 02-07-16, 11:17 PM  
andtckrtoo

I second Birkenstocks. They saved me. Goodness. And the inserts are amazing. Lots of stretching, too. I googled some stretches for PF and did them religiously. No impact for a while. Not even a lot of walking.

Sciatic pain can have different causes. For me, it's tight hamstrings, hip flexors and glutes. I do downward dog, hip flexor stretches and pigeon pose daily and that helps keep it at bay.
Old 02-08-16, 07:26 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Tape! Oh my word, taping my foot made a world of difference. I followed the suggestions shown here.

Once the flare up subsided, I started doing barre, flat-footed at first (no releve for a few weeks) and I really credit it with healing my PF. But if you're in pain now, I'd lay off anything on your feet. Maybe find pilates mat-type workouts, anything that doesn't involve any impact at all until it gets better.

Good luck. I know the pain is awful!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 08:28 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Classical Stretch and Essentrics have done wonders for both my PF and sciatica. I can't recommend Miranda and Sahra's workouts enough.

There are specific PF episodes; I rarely have PF flareups any more. The chair work has been great for hip flexor, psoas and hamstring stretching which is key to keeping my back and hip pain under control.

I have seen a couple different podiatrists...in fact my brother is one. The standard treatment suggested (icing) didn't work really well for my PF. Stretching the calf and entire leg has been key for me. I see a MT that is very PT oriented. He spends a lot of time on my feet and calf and feels that PF stems from higher up the leg.

Good luck...I hope you get it resolved.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 11:56 PM  
angie_nrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
For a while, the only thing that seemed to help stop the pain was wearing good shoes that lifted my heels just a bit higher than my toes.
This for me too. I got a pair of Mizuno Wave Prophecy....they are an older pair that they don't sell anymore, but I do think the newer versions look like they have a slight hike in the heel area as well. These are running shoes, but I wear them for my other workouts too. When I get flare ups, which is fairly rare anymore, I do barre type workouts, yoga, or weights. Pretty much anything that isn't medium or high impact.

I have a friend that has PF and she gets cortizone injections in her heel. It takes the pain completely away for her. Her last injection lasted about 8 months I think. Some people get one injection and never have the need for another....yet there are some that last much less than 8 months. It's a crap shoot for sure....and it does hurt to get the injection. She said she'd do it again in a heartbeat. Just something to consider. Thankfully mine isn't bad enough to require that. However, if I was still working in the hospital, I'd need to consider that for sure. Being on your feet all day with PF or a heel spur is torture.
Old 02-09-16, 10:06 PM  
Castella

Thanks for the great suggestions!

I have pretty good shoes, and I just got new ones that were recommended for under pronators. My feet still roll to the outside but they're better for my heels.

I did have my foot wrapped for 4 days when it ballooned up. Then I used special inserts and things (I'm keeping a lot of companies in business right now). If need be, I'll try to get the dreaded nighttime boot.

Maybe I'll try some Sahra Classical Stretch. I've been doing pigeon pose and a modified down dog, calf and hamstring stretches, and I have a foot rocker that was sitting around forever and now has a purpose in life.

I know I have bad bone structure, which stresses my knees and no doubt is related to my muscular inflexibility. Going to keep taking it easy and trying different things!
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-16, 11:26 PM  
bfit

You said that you don't like swimming, but you can also do water walking or water running and also water aerobics. These types of exercise really helped when I had a knee injury.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-16, 04:56 PM  
suzannaerin

I am so sorry you have PF. I have a high tolerance for pain but a bad case of PF humbled me. It took a long time to heal, primarily because a PT made it worse with overly aggressive deep muscle massage. I hope you get better fast. When I had it, I continued swimming and biking, although the latter was ill advised.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-16, 05:17 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
I am so sorry you have PF. I have a high tolerance for pain but a bad case of PF humbled me. It took a long time to heal, primarily because a PT made it worse with overly aggressive deep muscle massage. I hope you get better fast. When I had it, I continued swimming and biking, although the latter was ill advised.
As long as I was wearing cycling shoes and not sneakers, I was fine cycling. When I tried to ride in sneakers - Holy Ouch Batman!

Another thing that helped me was KT Tape. And I found firmer shoe soles better than really soft ones. The soft ones killed me.