Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-16, 12:15 AM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

Classical Stretch season 10, episode 19 - for PF

Does anyone have episode 19 of Classical Stretch season 10? It's the one for PF.

I was reading Castella's thread on her recent PF flare-up and wondered if anyone has seen or tried this workout.

Is it a full-body stretch or lower body only? Does it help?

Can any of her season 10 episodes be found online or on Hulu or Amazon? I would love to rent an episode or two. I can't find any of her season 10 workouts on YouTube.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-09-16, 10:05 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I've done that episode. It is a lot of feet work and leg/hip stretching using the barre. I find it effective.

There are a number of mini workouts on YouTube as well as on the Essentrics website. I don't think any full length episodes or workouts are available to rent or view. You could spring for the ETV subscription for a month; it is easy to cancel. It is just $14.95/month and you could try out a lot of workouts.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-16, 11:19 AM  
PrairieGem

I don't recall that episode specifically, but I have Season 10 on DVD, and it aired live here two summers ago when I sprained my ankle. Season 10 was absolutely INSTRUMENTAL in my rehab from that injury. There are a lot of really great foot/ankle workouts, so I would assume that I've done it and loved it. I still do them when my feet are feeling cranky (that ankle has been bugging me occasionally this winter).

One really nice thing about the season is that the workouts are either ALL standing, ALL barre, or ALL floor. I can't stand Miranda's floor work, so knowing I never have to do any if I don't want to is fantastic.
Old 02-09-16, 12:42 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I always forget to suggest checking out your local PBS or library. I know MN carries CS on TPT Life.

I do think that PF stems from muscle imbalances "above the foot". I was doing some Jill Miller "Treat While You Train" and she talks about that, as well.

Jill does have some nice foot work with the YTU balls. Here's a sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnKuEygjzXQ. My husband and I have also found her practices helpful.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-16, 04:28 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I also used Ep. 26 and that helped PF and another foot problem I was having called PTTD. I was having a PTTD flareup not long ago and used that episode and was fine the next day and have been fine since. As JackieB said, check your local PBS listings. Where I live, there is a local station that shows episodes from S9 and S10 every morning.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-16, 10:39 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

Great suggestions

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions! I will look into these.
Old 02-10-16, 06:58 AM  
Margot

Hi Dawn

I’ve been battling with PF for the past 18 months and thankfully have it almost kicked into gear. Really tight calves have been my problem and believe it or not, a locked up left shoulder! Like wishiwasinhawaii, episode 1026 (Feet Flexibility and Strength) has been the most beneficial for me for relieving foot pain. There’s a nice section in this episode that I’ve memorised and do most days to stretch the calves, psoas, quads and adductors. It really has helped, especially in the morning when the pain is at its worst. I also throw in an IT stretch with my leg on the chair. I also love episode 1027 (Feet and Ankle Strength and Mobility).

Episode 1019 has a lot of nice stretches for the legs as well as side bends and back stretches. However, it includes a few relevés (ballet 1st position) as well as single leg relevés and my feet don’t like these at all. They may be good for others, just not for me at the moment. Therefore, I don’t tend to gravitate towards doing this one very often.

Like Jackie, I’ve found Jill Miller YTU to be really helpful, although I use the MELT smaller balls. I roll the ball underfoot slowly, inch by inch, until I’ve found a sore spot, then hold it there, not pressing too hard, for about 5 minutes and have often felt a physical release in the tissues. My MFR practitioner told me this is the most effective way to get the fascia to release (layer by layer), rather than pummelling it to death.

Martha Peterson’s Somatics program has also helped me and I believe there are some free moves on her site for PF relief.

Anyway, I hope you can get some relief from the Essentrics program. I'm completely hooked now on CS/Essentrics and have resolved my back problems as well. Good Luck!

Margot
Margot is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
plantar fasciitis, season 10, somatics