Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-04-20, 06:15 PM  
Anny

Hi everyone!

Beth I hope you enjoy working from home. One of my sons, who lives at home, is out at work two days a week now but works and studies remotely the other days.

You asked about our winter. July and August are our coldest months and we move into spring in September.

Linda I hope you enjoy the Joyce rotation. I was doing mostly Joyce earlier last month, alternating between the 12 Minute workout, the Fat burning and Definition. All paper workouts.

cyana and Paine I can sympathise about the insomnia. I’m a not so good sleeper at the best of times; if I am stressed then it becomes worse.

Sandra thank you for the start. I hope your back feels better, and I think you are very wise to be aware of the toe issue.

The last few days I have done yoga for my more formal exercise - YWA Yoga to Heal Stress and Yoga for Mood Swings.
Old 08-04-20, 07:56 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Anny, I might be doing mostly yoga for awhile too! I find remote work can be stressful, but in different ways. I still might be back in the office in a few weeks.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-20, 08:15 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

No walk today, and I missed it. But I do want to be conservative with that toe.

Today's Workout: I did Margaret Richard Unplugged episode 1906, followed by Powerfit Harmony Core Body Balance with Stephanie Huckabee.

Linda: Glad you popped by! Sorry to hear about the pancreatitis attacks. That's a good tip for muscle spasm. The boys thank you and Meow for the hugs and send ear skritches in return.

Beth: Hope the "return" to work goes well this week. I think I've mentioned that my local VF buddy has been working from home since March. She loves it, although she doesn't see many people in person except her husband (and me on Sundays!).

Cyana: Take care of that shoulder!

Paine: When normal shopping times return (ha!) I would like to be fitted for some really good walking shoes. I'm just wearing my Skechers right now.

Anny: Luckily my back seems fine again. We still have several more months of warm weather ahead, but I'm already craving cooler temperatures.

Everyone take care!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 04:56 AM  
Anny

Sandra I’m glad to hear your back is better. I’m the opposite to you in that I am hoping for warmer weather!

Beth yoga is very helpful for me when I am tired or stressed. That said, this evening after work I combined two upper body workouts from Joyce Vedral’s 12 Minute workout with heavier weights than the 3lbs suggested by Joyce.
Old 08-05-20, 06:11 AM  
Garrie A.

Sandra, thanks for starting us off this week! August is my least favorite month, too. It's when my work schedule gets the most hectic, and also because of the heat. Glad your back is beginning to feel better. Sorry to hear about the toenail.

Beth: Congrats on finishing your yin YTT! And you are so sweet! I nearly teared up when I saw your comments about my cardio mashup video yesterday. I use a combo of verbal and visual cues in class. And who did I learn it all from? My favorite video instructors, of course! When my work schedule slows down I'd love to start posting videos on a Facebook page I created two months ago, Step Wythe Garrie (the "Wythe" is the county where I was born and raised). I only posted one video so far (an intermediate/advanced step class), and would love to post more. Mostly combos for other instructors looking for ideas, but also some classes including another cardio mash-up--but with hi/lo or kickbox, 4-limbed cardio, and step (more basic choreo than my video though).

Linda: Glad you popped in! Sorry to hear about your pancreatitis attacks. My dad went through a nasty bout of it five years ago.

Paine and Cyana: Sorry to hear about the insomnia. ((((HUGS))))

Anny: It's been nearly over a year since I've pulled out my Joyce DVD workouts (and the original Bottoms Up on VHS). And I have most of her books, too.

I'll be back in a few minutes to post my week.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 06:28 AM  
Garrie A.

Here was last week for me, which mainly consisted of Cathe's Slow & Heavy mixed in with two days of cardio and one active rest day (30 minute Mow Max and Karen Voight's Pure & Simple Stretch).

Sunday:
30 minute Mow Max
Karen Voight's Pure & Simple Stretch

Monday:
Cathe's Slow & Heavy: Chest, Back & Planks

Tuesday:
Jay Blahnik's Precision Cycling (this rivals Cathe's Pedal Power as my favorite spin bike workout)
TAUGHT HiiT and Pump classes

Wednesday:
Cathe's Slow & Heavy: Triceps, Biceps & Abs

Thursday:
Rebecca Small's S-Express (step; this was fun although I was in choreography overload most of the time. This DVD is geared towards instructors looking for class ideas, but these combinations are a bit too complex for me to teach in a live class, unless I had a group of students who are ready for this more advanced choreography. And Rebecca covered a LOT--eight combos in one hour.)
Stretched on my own (since there was no cool-down)
TAUGHT Barre and Upper Body Express classes

Friday:
Cathe's Slow & Heavy: Legs & Shoulders (For the leg section, I added a 12 lb. weighted vest plus increased the weights I used for the pre-exhaust sets. Everything else I kept the same weight. That really increased the challenge, and took the leg work from mediocre to awesome.)

Saturday:
Well deserved rest day
================================================An d this week:

Sunday:
30 minute Mow Max
Karen Voight's Pure & Simple Stretch

Monday:
Cathe's Strong & Sweaty: Total Body Giant Sets
TAUGHT Step class

Yesterday:
I started with Jay Blahnik's Schwinn Cycling Workout (new-to-me), but I stopped about 5 minutes into it. My legs were still jello from Cathe on Monday, so I decided to get off the bike and join Miranda in:
-Classical Stretch: Athletes Intense Stretch (from Volume 1; just the first 30 minutes)

Ahhhhh, it was just what my body needed.

Next week is when my work schedule gets crazy due to Fall rush starting. The bookstore will be closed to the public, which means all orders will be processed online. We learned yesterday that one of our temps couldn't find a babysitter for next week, so we will be short a person. On the workout front, I'm going to have to get up a little earlier than normal to fit something in. So I've decided to make it an active recovery week. I'm pulling out a Jessica Smith walking DVD I've had for a while but never got to doing it (Walk On: Strength & Balance), and Classical Stretch (mostly the 30 minute Express episodes which I haven't done yet). Next Friday, I'm hoping that I'll be working shorter hours and be able to fit something longer in. So I might pull out my favorite BodyFit 360 workout from Michelle Dozois, Volume 2/Dance Conditioning.

Waves to all!
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 07:23 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Garrie, I will have to check out your FB page--I'd be interested in your workouts so long as they aren't step. I think those who do video workouts have the advantage of being exposed to MANY different instructors, seeing all the good/bad, and so that makes them better instructors themselves. The college you work at is a community college, right? Are they expecting more students due to students not wanting to go to residential colleges?

Anny, I feel the same way about yoga, especially when I'm tired! (If I'm more stressed, sometimes I like to battle it out with kickboxing, haha.) I can't remember--do you also work at a university? Sorry, you have probably said; I am terrible at remembering people's jobs.

I have a meeting with my boss shortly and may learn more about whether I will stay remote or not (although I don't expect any final decisions to be made yet).

Happy Hump Day!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 08-05-20, 12:44 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Today is my planned rest day.

Beth, I agree with you... that exercise instructors who have done video workouts and are exposed to many styles of workouts become better instructors themselves.

I'm waving to everyone!

Edit to add: I saw that Beth made a short Mindful Meditation using the AGE Strategy so I did that. Thanks Beth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP23ohfSfXE
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 10:09 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

Today's Workout: I did Margaret Richard Unplugged episode 1907. I followed that with the 15-minute "Yoga For Stress Relief + Relaxation" routine from Jessica Smith's Yoga Fusion Fix. This was my first time doing it, and while I didn't find it terribly relaxing or stress-relieving, I still liked it well enough.

Garrie: Hi there! Athlete's Intense Stretch is indeed really nice. The Express workouts are good, too. With the book store ramping up I think you are smart to take an active recovery week.

Everyone take care!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-20, 08:31 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra how is your toe doing? Hope you can resume your walks soon; sounds like having a better pair of shoes could definitely help.

Paine, thanks for checking out my new meditation! Now that I am back in work mode (sort of), it seemed like a good time to do another.

I started reading a new book for review last night called BREATHE. I haven't gotten very far yet, but the author is making a compelling case for how our breathing has changed over time, pointing out that humans now engage in more mouth breathing and that it leads to all kinds of problems. He also suggests that changing one's breathing can eliminate all kinds of things--not just respiratory issues but things like AD/HD, snoring, weight loss, and even insomnia! Of course, I haven't gotten to that part yet.

Follow me @YogiBethC