Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-20, 06:33 PM  
sherry7899

Are short strength/toning workouts worth doing?

I have really slacked on strength and toning due to various chronic injuries. I do practice yoga at least five days a week.

I want to get back to it, but it is overwhelming and discouraging to do strength dvds now.

A vf member (thanks, Barb!) suggested this channel. There are plenty of short toning workouts. Do you think they would make any difference? I need somewhere doable to start.
https://m.youtube.com/c/fabulous50s/...wsEKHShEASs%3D

I have done a few segments. I really like the instructor. I feel like I am exercising with Olivia Newton John. . She is very encouraging.

Thank you!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-20, 07:25 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

yes they are.

when you distill everything down to the bare bones, most TB strength routines take 20 min. i've timed myself doing my own routine watching a TV show! in fact, i looked at my watch and finished in 25 min and added a few more moves to make it 30 min.

if you're doing splits, you can finish in even less time.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-20, 08:43 PM  
fanofladyvols

I absolutely think they're worth it!

I was reading a book and it mentioned having a matter of degree thinking rather than an all or nothing mindset.

So tackle those 10 or 15 minutes because it is time well spent

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-20, 08:52 PM  
alisoncooks

I sure hope short strength workouts are worthwhile -- cause that's what I mostly do!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-20, 04:32 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Absolutely

Sherry: I often find myself wondering the same thing. I am so used to (from many years ago) doing 30-60 mins. of strength that it became the norm. Enter KCM with pre mixes. And I noticed if I was consistent, that I would see gains in strength. Fast forward even further and enter Peloton. . . where we only do 5-20 minutes tops (most days are only 5-10 minutes). With consistency? Absolutely I see a difference and it helps and there is NO dread factor.

Seriously - who can't spare an extra 5 or 10 minutes to do arms or legs or abs??? I really think if you are consistent, you can see changes. Just try it for 4 weeks and see where you are. You make the rules!!! These are YOUR workouts!

Best of luck!
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-20, 07:06 AM  
cyana

Sherry - I stumbled across Schellea's channel about a year ago and have done some of her work-outs. I think they would be very good for getting back into a regular routine, low energy days, recovery, etc. I also find her short routines to be very convenient for a mid-day "escape the computer" break. Love the comment about Olivia Newton-John. You could also stack multiple videos as you're feeling stronger, if you wanted something longer.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-20, 07:07 AM  
Bearybuff

I've been using the short upper body segments from Cathe's Cross Train Express and I have some cuts peaking out of my extra padding.
Bearybuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-20, 07:31 AM  
Sollamyn

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I have really slacked on strength and toning due to various chronic injuries. I do practice yoga at least five days a week.

I want to get back to it, but it is overwhelming and discouraging to do strength dvds now.

A vf member (thanks, Barb!) suggested this channel. There are plenty of short toning workouts. Do you think they would make any difference? I need somewhere doable to start.
https://m.youtube.com/c/fabulous50s/...wsEKHShEASs%3D

I have done a few segments. I really like the instructor. I feel like I am exercising with Olivia Newton John. . She is very encouraging.

Thank you!
I'm subscribed to that channel but totally forgot about it. Good reminder to check her out once in a while!

Donna
Old 08-07-20, 07:48 AM  
buffmama

Absolutely. Make it challenging for the time you have. You will get stronger.
Old 08-07-20, 09:08 AM  
sherry7899

Thank you so much for the support and encouragement. I really appreciate it. I'm really frustrated because both my knees have been cranky for weeks. I really don't want to see a doctor now. I think it's just overuse. I had been doing four or five hour long dance workouts a week. I've had to really shorten my cardio, and it's putting me in a bad mood! I decided to try and do some toning since I can't do nearly as much cardio.

I honestly never did a ton of strength work anyway. I think I did two half hour strength workouts a week, plus yoga and cardio. I have to be careful with weights due to neck/shoulder/low back issues.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
effective workouts, short weight workouts, short workouts, workout length