Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-09, 12:33 PM  
silvil
VF Supporter

Any reviews on EA Sports Active (wii)?

I've been looking forward to this one, but for $54, I won't get it unless reviews are good. I see on Amazon that reviews are very positive -- all 5-star from what I see -- but I'd rather have opinions from the real experts right here at VF!

My daughter & I have enjoyed We Cheer so much, and I wouldn't have given it a moment's thought if not for the excellent reviews here, so I'm counting on getting the real scoop on this one too.
silvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-09, 12:59 PM  
3ks

Hi Silvil, I just read the yahoo article and checked it out. It looks great but at that price, I am holding back until I hear more about it. I just received Gym's Cardio Workout and will be checking it out tomorrow, probably. I also have We Cheer but my DD12 is the only one that has tried it. And finally, after having the wii board for the past 3 months...(I have been sick) we opened it and played with it on Sunday. It was great. So this new game appeals to me, too.

BTW, how old is your dd? Maybe we should get together to play the Wiiiiiiiii! LOL
Old 05-20-09, 03:14 PM  
princess76

I bought this yesterday & did an "easy" 20 minute circuit workout this morning. I have been easing back into exercise after having a baby via c-section 11 weeks ago. It was fun, and I sweated. Yet the time went by quickly. The form pointers and cues were excellent. I couldn't cheat on any of the moves. After you finish your workout, it gives you a recap of how many exercises you did & how many calories you burned. Then you can take a brief lifestyle survey re. sleep, good eating habits, stress management, etc. It is very holistically oriented, and I think I will use it on a regular basis. It's not "cartoony" like Wii Fit.
princess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-09, 03:20 PM  
Mary W
VF Supporter

the reviews on Amazon.com are great so far! I won't get mine until this weekend because I'm out of town. I can't wait to try it, and will definitely report back!
Old 05-23-09, 06:29 AM  
ldy_solana

just received it myself as early anniversary gift. i did the easy 20 min routine. i wasn't all that crazy b/c it wasn't getting anything out of the band work. the band was light and the moves were a little slow for me BUT i will try the harder versions and see how they compare. i always start with easy versions when just trying out something like this so its not a fair comparison to the harder strength training i do. but the in sync with my movements was pretty cool so its something i can work with.

i do like the cardio however and love that you can build your own workout with your own moves. while i love fitness coach, i wish i had this option on it so its great to have both of these "games" if that is what you can call them.

i also plan on using a heavier band b/c the one in the box was just to light for me. but that is great to have the option of moving up with the band work without really having to get more equipment. bands are relatively inexpensive for the most part. i think the leg strap is well made and durable but no uncomfortable at all.

just wish there was some ab work in there i only saw upper and lower body exercises. oh well can't have it all LOL.

i think a few more rounds will convince me if the money was worth spending. i was skeptical of fitness coach when dh got that one for me and know i do it almost everyday with my other workouts so that says i can warm up to things most of the time quickly.

kassia
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-09, 08:56 AM  
CHAPLYN61

Smile

I just love, love, love this game and it was worth every penny. This is the only way I have been able to get my 11 year old slightly over-weight daughter to exercise. she loves the challange, the custom work outs and i can do it with her. the feedback is very motivating and encouraging. She looks forward to do this and there is no dread factor. We have started off on the 30 day easy challange and you are doing something different every day and it gets a little harder, but still doable. I would highly recommend this to anyone who has an inactive or unmotivated child who needs more activity. And for us grownups, we are never too old for a new challange!
CHAPLYN61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-09, 09:35 AM  
donellda

My husband bought this for me. I am doing the 30 Day Challenge to try it out. I like a lot. There are some things that I am having some problems with. To do the bicep curls you need to have the nunchuck and controller facing forward but for some reason my sensor does not always pick it up so I was trying to do the curls for about 5 minutes the other day. The band does not have a lot of resistance so I'm using my own. But there are tons of options so I don't think anyone can get bored.
donellda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-09, 05:38 PM  
Malia

I bought it and did it the first time today - doing the 30 day challenge. It's pretty fun. I had trouble getting the balance board to sync up, though. It lost it's sync right before I had to use it and I couldn't get it to sync up again so I had to reset and start the workout over again (without the balance board option)
I bought the extra set of leg holders so I could do it with my son, but he isn't here today. Hopefully he will like it and "play" with me
Malia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-09, 08:52 PM  
ldy_solana

Quote:
Originally Posted by donellda View Post
My husband bought this for me. I am doing the 30 Day Challenge to try it out. I like a lot. There are some things that I am having some problems with. To do the bicep curls you need to have the nunchuck and controller facing forward but for some reason my sensor does not always pick it up so I was trying to do the curls for about 5 minutes the other day. The band does not have a lot of resistance so I'm using my own. But there are tons of options so I don't think anyone can get bored.
i was also having trouble doing curls during the curls and press exercise. for some reason it wasn't picking up that i was curling up. just gonna keep messing with it until i get it right.

kassia
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-09, 11:29 AM  
Mary W
VF Supporter

I think this will be a good addition to my Wii library, but I don't give it 5 stars. After doing 2 of the workouts (I'm trying the 30-day challenge as well, only with my blue YBB band-the one that comes with it is worthless, imo), I've decided to combine them with Stephanie's Power Fit workouts, which worked out great today.

I only had trouble with squats at first, but realized I just had the nunchuk turned the wrong way. So far, the rest of the exercises sync well for me. I did the medium workout yesterday, and the heavy one today. I'll stick with the hard one (can't remember if it was called hard/heavy/advanced, but it worked best for my level).

This isn't as fun as, say, We Cheer or Gold's Gym Cardio, but it does have a fun factor. I loved the in-line skating and tennis. I use my rebounder for the jogging segments, which makes it more fun for me. I also like doing lower body without weights because my legs muscle up too easily.

I don't understand why they couldn't have include a weight tracking option with the balance board (I like it because it's so accurate!), but all in all this is a great addition to my Wii collection! I was also able to get rid of a few games I wouldn't be using in the process. Yay for that!

Tags
active gaming, ea sports active, wii