Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-17, 07:48 PM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

Vegan Cookbook

I need suggestions, please, for a vegan cookbook or cookbooks that uses everyday vegan foods but not too many ingredients if possible, and that turns out simple, almost comfort food. I realize this may be a stretch! I subscribed to Green Chef for a while but it always took me longer to make the recipes than was mentioned. Also, it seemed to me that the recipes were becoming increasingly exotic. I'm not picky I promise! I just want sort of meat and potatoes vegan, a terrible analogy I know. Thanks in advance, Kareng
karjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-17, 08:31 PM  
buttons11

I'm transitioning to be The Lazy Vegan

My Sis is aiming for more vegan meals too and even her meat & potatoes DH likes a soup recipe from this book linked below. Some recipes are certainly more complicated. But there are quite a few basics too.

https://www.amazon.com/Oh-She-Glows-.../dp/1583335277

I've been so ill I can't handle the recipes from this book yet.

So I've created my own basic put-together-meals
My foods are in a list and I just pick one from each
the beans can be canned/box, tofu
potatoes can be boiled or even frozen bagged hash browns if desperate
quinoa/rice are simple to cook
the veggies & berries can be frozen
the greens can be from the bag/plastic tub

"meat" lentils, chick peas, split peas, pinto beans, black beans, tofu
"potatoes" sweet potatoes, rice, quinoa, whole grain bread
veggies your favorites
greens your favorites
favorite salsas/sauces/seasonings

fruit for dessert or snack

My go to veggies in a gigantic bag of frozen broccoli, cauliflower & carrots from costco that I steam and pile on top of potatoes/rice/quinoa and chick peas plus salt and pepper

My other easy fav is a big bowl of greens with an organic lemon ginger salad dressing also from costco...[if I have enough energy I add a couple raisins and sunflower seeds] plus a side of organic yellow potatoes. Later I have a berry tofu oats smoothy

A tried and true favorite is bean burritos with what every veggies I can stuff in there topped with salsa. I especially like to keep cabbage on hand to throw in there...if I'm especially ill or lazy I use slaw mix from a bag

Oh and an experiment gone suprisingly well...lentil sloppy joes...cooked lentils plus pasta sauce and extra herbs/garlic, reduced til thick and piled on old rustic french bread from the french pastry shop...way tastier than we imagined...adding finely chopped peppers/carrots/cabbage would be a good veggie addition

This is what I'm focusing on now, as close to a recipe as I can muster at this point...when I get better I will focus on soups/stews to make in my instapot from that cookbook

The thing that seems to make the most difference for these simple meals is the highest quality ingredients you can afford...those organic yellow potatoes taste sooooo yummy. And so are the organic lentils and beans...even without any seasoning, right out of the pot. My rugby playing husband actually requests the frozen veggie/potatoes meal

Hope this helps
"The secret to change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new" Socrates NOT the Greek one, Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book that Changes Lives by Dan Millman, 1984

"Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace" Dalai Lama

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." Earl Nightingale

Still training to outrun the zombies buttons
buttons11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-17, 08:41 PM  
JeepGirl

I love the Happy Herbivore cookbooks. I tried her meal planning service for awhile and liked it in theory but I just have not mastered that level of organization yet. I've been making recipes out of her "Light and Lean" and have loved each one. They are easy to whip up and use regular ingredients. HTH!
JeepGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 06:48 AM  
BunnyHop

The Serious Eats website has a ton of vegan recipes. One of their editors has been making a vegan month every year for a while, and documenting his experiences. Along the way they've managed to assemble a pretty good many ideas.

http://www.seriouseats.com/search?term=vegan+recipes+

http://www.seriouseats.com/search?te...ence+&site=all
Old 05-30-17, 09:12 AM  
Marylandmom
VF Supporter

These are not cookbooks but...

The Vegan 8 - almost all recipes call for no more than 8 ingredients: http://thevegan8.com/

Also try the Minimalist Baker - all recipes call for 10 ingredients or less:
https://minimalistbaker.com/
Marylandmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-17, 09:44 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I like the Happy Herbivore books for simplistic meals with whole food, available ingredients.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-17, 05:47 PM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

Thank you so much everyone! Now I have lots of good ideas! Kareng
karjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-17, 01:02 PM  
buffmama

If you watch youtube take a look at cheap lazy vegan. I've gotten a lot of ideas from her and quite a few giggles.

Tags
vegan, vegan cookbook, vegetarian, vegetarian cookbooks