Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-20, 10:39 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
She looks great.

I think some of the people that celebrate grey hair also are still dying their hair, though. They do highlights or color adjusters to help with harshness or yellow tones. There is an actress I saw not long ago who was talking about embracing her age and finally going grey, but she also said she regularly sees the colorist for help because she doesn’t love her natural grey.

So I think a lot of images we see in the media are not actually completely “natural” grey hair. At least colorist science has progressed beyond the “blue” hair that our grandmothers had when they tried to brighten up the white and grey.
Very good points! I am totally ignorant on those things. You are likely right.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-20, 10:43 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
She looks great.

I think some of the people that celebrate grey hair also are still dying their hair, though. They do highlights or color adjusters to help with harshness or yellow tones. There is an actress I saw not long ago who was talking about embracing her age and finally going grey, but she also said she regularly sees the colorist for help because she doesn’t love her natural grey.

So I think a lot of images we see in the media are not actually completely “natural” grey hair. At least colorist science has progressed beyond the “blue” hair that our grandmothers had when they tried to brighten up the white and grey.
Yes, I also agree with you -- there is still maintenance, though perhaps less often. I have a friend who is gray and I think all she has to do is use that special purple shampoo (I don't really know what it is, but it's for getting the brassiness out of gray). I'm so tempted, but if I still have to pay for color work (and put in the time) it's less appealing.
Old 01-28-20, 12:16 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I'm so tempted, but if I still have to pay for color work (and put in the time) it's less appealing.
This! I'm too lazy. I don't even like going to the hairdresser every 3 months just to get a trim.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-20, 12:50 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I don't know how old Ellen is, but is it normal to go gray that early? I'm almost 58 and I'm just now getting the skunk stripe down the front. And it looks more white than gray (I have brown hair). I figure my hair will be an ugly gray (because I'm such a positive person ) but I'm more concerned about how thin and frizzy it's getting. The white hair is baby fine. If it all goes that color, I'll be practically bald. That bothers me much more than the color!
Old 01-28-20, 12:52 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
I don't know how old Ellen is, but is it normal to go gray that early? I'm almost 58 and I'm just now getting the skunk stripe down the front. And it looks more white than gray (I have brown hair). I figure my hair will be an ugly gray (because I'm such a positive person ) but I'm more concerned about how thin and frizzy it's getting. The white hair is baby fine. If it all goes that color, I'll be practically bald. That bothers me much more than the color!
From the looks of it, I'm guessing she did some sort of coloring like Jack Martin does -- I don't think anyone can just suddenly have that much gray hair all over their head, although I guess there is some condition where the whole head goes gray overnight -- maybe that happened, but given the looks of Ellen, I think she had some help.
Old 01-28-20, 01:32 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
In her newsletter she indicated she was 48. I think much of when you go gray is genetic and some people go gray earlier than others, just the way some men start losing their hair in their 20's. I'm blonde, and I don't notice any gray (I'm 52). Although I think my hair has gotten darker with age - I suspect there are a few grays in there but my hair color is light enough to hide them.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-20, 01:42 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
In her newsletter she indicated she was 48. I think much of when you go gray is genetic and some people go gray earlier than others, just the way some men start losing their hair in their 20's. I'm blonde, and I don't notice any gray (I'm 52). Although I think my hair has gotten darker with age - I suspect there are a few grays in there but my hair color is light enough to hide them.

Donna
Yep...I have a friend with beautiful dark hair and alabaster skin who started going gray very early in her 20's, and it was gorgeous on her!

I've colored some shade of red on my otherwise blondish-red hair for years to have more even and less brassy coloring, but I've recently decided to stop and grow out my natural color (with highlight blending help) because I know it's darkened with the years like you mentioned, and I'm curious to see exactly what it is now! I do have some grays, but my hair gal insists I have so few it's not going to be an issue. I hope she's right, because I'm sure they won't be the beautiful silvery kind everyone wants!!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-20, 01:53 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Going gray varies so much with genetics. My SIL is in her early 70s and has very little gray. My DIL is 30 and is already quite gray.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-20, 03:02 PM  
JezthePuff2

Yes several of my co-workers have been gray since their 20s. It's all genetic. I also read somewhere that it could be a copper deficiency, but I don't know much about that.

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-20, 07:25 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Oh! I didn’t even notice her age in the newsletter. Her hair has to have been growing for years to get that long. She did say something like she’s been dying her hair her entire adult life, although that doesn’t mean she’s been doing it to cover gray all that time. I agree that she must be coloring her hair to get it to match her gray roots now.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, ellen barrett, going gray, gray hair, grey hair, hair