Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-22-19, 07:41 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Thanks Alta! It looks excellent (though with all the explanations it's longer than I like). How do you think the content compares to Susie Hathaway's Safe Strength Training dvd?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-19, 11:33 AM  
Mell

Mell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-19, 12:56 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnadc View Post
Thanks for posting!
Does anyone have the Strong Women Strong Bones book? Are these the same exercises as in the book? I'm thinking I don't "need" another book, especially if it's basically the same info.
Also wondering..why the slower speed? So as to not cause injury or does the slower speed help with bone building?
I don't have the book anymore, so I don't remember. The info in the book is from 2006, so I'd look for something more up to date. Margaret Martin's Melioguide tends to keep up with the latest exercise and nutrition info for bone health:

https://melioguide.com/

The slow speed is better for safety and for muscle/bone building. Most heavy strength training workouts have longer rests in between sets, likes the third mesocycle of Cathe's STS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Thanks Alta! It looks excellent (though with all the explanations it's longer than I like). How do you think the content compares to Susie Hathaway's Safe Strength Training dvd?
While I like Susie's workouts, I tend to not reach for them often. I like the University Place one enough that I'd do it regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mell View Post
I didn't like the exercises in the 1998 one. Outdated stuff at this point. My knees don't like leg extensions with ankle weights. I don't think upright rows are a good option for shoulder health. Why no lower back exercises?

She does give good form pointers.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-19, 01:05 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

This looks good! Thanks for posting

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-19, 12:54 PM  
donnadc

Did this workout today. Took me 54 minutes, without a stretch but with a 5 min warm up. I did it on my own from a list I made while watching the video. I liked it. My legs were wobbly afterwards. But not sure if I want that long of a workout. I'm thinking I could super set some of it with diff't body parts and cut down the rests. I've been doing Joyce Vedral workouts lately so it's quite different going so slow (she's a speed demon-haha).
donnadc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bone building, osteopenia, osteoporosis, osteoporosis workouts