VF Supporter

Thanks for that info, CatAddict!
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-18, 06:25 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones View Post
I usually do fine with vaccines but this one threw me for a loop! I've only had the first shot so far-terrible pain in my left deltoid muscle that spread to my entire shoulder-couldn't move it for 24 hours, then slowly got better over 5 days. The second problem was all over muscle stiffness and pain for 48 hours, like I had the flu, except for no fever or fatigue-just pain. The pharmacist told me people usually do fine with the first shot, its the 2nd shot that brings more side effects. Ughh... I can't imagine how bad I will feel after the 2nd one!
My sister had a reaction like you describe to both the first & second shots. She never reacts to anything so I was dreading getting mine. But I had it about a month ago with no problem at all except a very sore arm. The pharmacist who gave the shot told me to expect that for a couple of days. I applied some arnica gel to the area and that really helped the soreness.

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-18, 12:07 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

More food for thought...

Robert Kennedy Jr. is doing TV ads for a class action suit against the older shingles vaccination, Zostavax:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yMw06ZpIGU

And, a friend sent me a link to this article about Shingrix and autoimmune disorders:

Questions Remain about Shingrix Safety in Rheumatic Disease
http://rheumnow.com/content/question...umatic-disease

I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and wonder if the vaccine would be right for me.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-18, 02:04 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
More food for thought...

Robert Kennedy Jr. is doing TV ads for a class action suit against the older shingles vaccination, Zostavax:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yMw06ZpIGU

And, a friend sent me a link to this article about Shingrix and autoimmune disorders:

Questions Remain about Shingrix Safety in Rheumatic Disease
http://rheumnow.com/content/question...umatic-disease

I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and wonder if the vaccine would be right for me.
Well, I have Hashi's and there's no way I'd do the shot. I have enough autoimmune issues.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-18, 11:01 AM  
LAC

I had my first ever flu shot and the first dose of Shingrix this past Friday morning at a Rite-Aid/Walgreens (the sign still says Rite-Aid, but it was recently taken over by Walgreens). I didn't need a prescription or an appointment; I just walked in and asked for the shots. They verified with my insurance company on the spot and I was approved with a zero co-pay.

Both shots were given in my right arm, flu shot on top, Shringrix below it (I can't have needle sticks in my left arm due to having lymph nodes removed). Initially I felt fine other than a sore arm, but late in the afternoon I developed chills and an upset stomach and then an intense headache that lasted all night and into the next morning. However, by Saturday afternoon those symptoms were gone and other than still having a sore arm, I was okay except for being tired and rundown from being up all night.

The sore arm is definitely from the Shingrix in the lower injection site - the upper site isn't bothering me. But I can't really be sure about the rest of the symptoms because of having two new-to-me vaccinations at the same time. Even if it could be proved that the Shingrix caused them, I will still have the second dose in a couple of months because the pharmacist said it is supposed to be about 90% effective and I don't ever want to go through shingles again.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-18, 04:48 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I went to the MinuteClinic at Target yesterday to get a flu shot and Shingrix. They had Shingrix, but said my insurance wouldn’t pay for it at a clinic. I now have Medicare and it must be paid for through Part D. They directed me to the Target pharmacy, which is able to submit claims to Part D - the clinic can’t. Well, the pharmacy didn’t have Shingrix and said there’s a nationwide shortage through probably January. So, older people should get it, but it’s not available to providers that can submit a claim for them. And the clinic doesn’t share theirs with the pharmacy.

The clinic gave me the flu shot. Apparently, that doesn’t go through Part D - the drug insurance.
Joni O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-18, 10:28 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I went to the MinuteClinic at Target yesterday to get a flu shot and Shingrix. They had Shingrix, but said my insurance wouldn’t pay for it at a clinic. I now have Medicare and it must be paid for through Part D. They directed me to the Target pharmacy, which is able to submit claims to Part D - the clinic can’t. Well, the pharmacy didn’t have Shingrix and said there’s a nationwide shortage through probably January. So, older people should get it, but it’s not available to providers that can submit a claim for them. And the clinic doesn’t share theirs with the pharmacy.

The clinic gave me the flu shot. Apparently, that doesn’t go through Part D - the drug insurance.
I always wonder about these "drug shortages." It seems fishy that a drug that apparently everyone over 50 needs is in such short supply. I don't even know if my insurance would cover it.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-18, 12:07 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

Had the first one in August. Getting the second tomorrow at my locally owned pharmacy. Minimal soreness. No side effects.
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-18, 02:11 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

The flu shot goes through Medicare Part B. I got one yesterday.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-18, 05:37 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I wish more providers understood all of this better. I had a pneumonia shot during my annual physical in July. The nurse assured me it would be covered. Of course it’s convered, if you get it from someone who can submit drug claims - a clinic apparently can’t. I haven’t gotten a bill for it yet from my doc yet, but I’ll need to pay the bill, then fill out a claim form and submit it myself.
Joni O is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto-immune disorder, shingles, shingrix, vaccines, zostavax