Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-05-13, 07:47 PM  
Mandy

Heavy Bag boxing thread

Wow! I've started to get addicted to Heavy bag boxing! Cathe's Hard Strikes Tabata is amazing with my Tae Bo standing bag. I can't believe how high my heartrate goes and it is all low impact. I got some boxing gloves and now I'm hooked(literally!). So I've been experimenting with all my kickboxing/boxing workouts and see which one's work well with the heavy bag.

Cathe MMA Boxing (the regular workout works well with the bag as well as the heavy bag bonus section)
CAthe Crosstrain express Kickboxing works well especially the arm drills(wow!)
Cathe Hard strikes( I call Hard Strikes Jack Max..lol But it worked well with the bag..I just don't like all the jacks. the Hard Strike Tabata's are amazing! My heartrate is as high as when I'm doing Cathe's Tabatacise and I my feet don't lift off the floor!yay!)
Kelly Coffey Meyer TLC. Using the heavy bag took TLC to a whole new level and made the workout much tougher and fun!
Tae Bo impact heavy bag training(this is VHS)

I still haven't bought The Addiction workout but I probably will before Mary's sale is over.
I also want to try Cathe's 4 day split Kickboxing and her Kick Punch Crunch workout. And then there is all the Tae Bo's collection dust. It may just revive my Tae Bo love
Amy Bento has some heavy bag training. Has anyone tried them and liked the heavy bag work?

A couple of thoughts about heavy bag boxing that I thought I would share:'
#1 I couldn't wear my heartrate monitor watch with my gloves, so I would either put in in a pocket or strap it to my fitness bra strap and would lift it up to see my heartrate.

#2 Its a challenge wearing boxing gloves and trying to keep hydrated and also using the remote. So I start the dvd going, then put on my gloves. For drinking water, I have to hold the water bottle with both hands. But next time, I might get a big glass with a straw.

#3 my heavy bag is filled with water and moves around. and I have to constantly fix the bag..so I put my yoga mat under the bag and now it doesn't move around anymore.

IF anyone wants to add any advice with heavy bag boxing, please add to this thread. Like what other boxing workouts you love. Or just plain kickboxing that work well with heavy bag training.

Thanks for any input or any advice. I'm so happy to have found this type of training that is high intensity but low impact.
Old 04-06-13, 08:14 AM  
RoseOOPs

Just started using the Heavy Bag. OMG it is so much harder that hitting air. 20 minutes into addiction and I'm soaked and out of breath. I need this so much.
RoseOOPs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-13, 08:42 AM  
RachelW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseOOPs View Post
Just started using the Heavy Bag. OMG it is so much harder that hitting air. 20 minutes into addiction and I'm soaked and out of breath. I need this so much.
This is me. It kills me. I like the challenge though. Hoping to get better. I love the idea of putting the bag on a mat. I have mine in a corner with a mat around the base so it doesn't bang into the wall. Using a mat underneath I might be able to move it to a better place.
Old 04-06-13, 09:22 AM  
Darisa

DH got me the Addiction set so now all I need is a heavy bag. I'll have to research what to buy. I'll be watching this thread closely for tips and ideas.
Darisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-13, 09:45 AM  
RoseOOPs

I brought the Wavemaster at Dick's Sporting Goods. It cost $119. You maybe be able to find one on Craig's list. Make sure you have some gloves. Hitting the bag with out them hurts your hands. I'm loving mine. It is such a good work out. I have my bag about a foot from the wall. I have my mat folded up between the bag and the wall. I also put some db on top of the mat, just to make sure it didn't move around. I could really feel it in my arms, shoulders and back.
RoseOOPs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-13, 11:02 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

I bought mine on Craigslist for 40 bucks, it is awesome. I filled it up with sand after using only water for a few years. Sand makes it a lot better to hit, doesn't bounce that much.
I use the bag for all hitting stuff. All the Tapouts, Insanity,even some of the Dreambody set etc is a lot harder when actually hit something as opposed to just pretend it. I really use it a lot, not just for boxing workouts. I don't use the big boxing glove but on;y a smaller padded fist ones. Just easier to use/grab and go down and up for fighter burpees and stuff. It also makes the transition faster and easier when combining weights with the bag, I can keep the gloves on.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-13, 11:38 AM  
Darisa

Thanks for the recs. I'm going to start stalking Craig's List.
Darisa is offline   Reply With Quote