Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-07-19, 12:08 PM  
bubbles76

Suzanne Bowen Barreamped - Is it worth it?

Hi! My birthday is coming up in March, and I was thinking of requesting the Barreamped set. I have many barre dvds, and think with my knee and hip that barre and other body weight type workouts (fusion, pilates, calisthenics, etc.) will be in my future. I like what I see with Barreamped, and like that there are rotations. However, I wonder if I need them, given that I have so many barre workouts? Here's the following barre I have:
  • Lotte Berk
  • Barre 3
  • some Bar Method
  • Exhale Core Fusion
  • one Tracey Mallet
  • one Ballet Physique
  • Xtend Barre Lean and Chiseled
  • Sleek Technique
  • Cathe's Turbo Barre
  • Squeeze Stronger and Squeeze - really like these!
  • Pop Physique
  • Fe Fit

I'm a barre virgin, having started and restarted so many times! I will be restarting my barre/kettlebell rotation, as my kettlebell guards have arrived Do you think that Barreamped is different enough from what I have to justify getting?

Thanks!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-19, 12:25 PM  
sillygirl

I’m in no way a barre expert but have tried almost all the barre methods at local studios and have quite a few DVDs too. Suzanne’s barre method is similar to other methods in that you will be using light weights and small movements. She doesn’t tuck as much as The Bar Method or Purre Barre though. She works more in neutral spine. The difference will be if you like her style of teaching. Some may not like all the talking but I have to say she’s really good at setting you up for good form which is very important in barre. She also has the best stretch workouts I’ve found.
sillygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-19, 12:57 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

bubbles, I have all of the ones you have and I have all but two* of Suzanne's, including the ones she's done with 10MS. I even have the pregnancy ones she did with Leah Sarago too!

she has occasional sales on Amazon, and i'd wait for those.

as mentioned, they're not too different, it's more about whether you like her as an instructor. that said, I reach for Suzanne, vintage callanetics and Ellen the most for barre work.

since you have Lotte Berk, Suzanne does hip hugger abs under her maiden name "Cook." her style is pretty much the same there as in her BA series, except BA offers a lot more variety and appeal.

*I plan to get Bounce and her Flat Belly Barre at some point

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-19, 02:32 PM  
bubbles76

Thanks for the feedback ladies. I like her form pointers and her calm but cheerful demeanor. Keep the feedback coming!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 02-07-19, 03:30 PM  
IceQueen07

Out of all the barre workouts that I tried when I first started, Suzanne was the only one that I clicked with and stuck with. I have had her streaming for a number of years and her dvds. I am not renewing my streaming since she hasn't put up any new content for over a year, but I still think her teachings are well worth it.

I also think I saw her set for sale on VF Roost.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-19, 04:40 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I have lots of barre DVDs. Entire sets of Lotte Berk, Bar Method, Barre3, Cardio Barre, and a lot of Pure Barre. The only Suzanne barre DVDs that I've kept are Bounce and Flat Belly. Oh, still have the stretch (which I rarely do but keep thinking I will).
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-19, 04:48 PM  
sillygirl

I really like the Flat Belly Barre workout. The production is good just like Sadie's (Barre3) Love Your Lower Body workouts from Prevention.
sillygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-19, 05:06 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
The only Suzanne barre DVDs that I've kept are Bounce and Flat Belly. Oh, still have the stretch (which I rarely do but keep thinking I will).
iʻm feeling The Lemming Pull here.... in a good way.

I love the stretch one - just to nudge you back - itʻs a good one.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-19, 05:37 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Another fan of Suzanne’s Flat Belly Barre. I also like Barre3 and prefer the 30 & 40 min workouts over the longer ones because I combine barre with other workouts.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-19, 08:06 PM  
bubbles76

Cynthia, why didn't you care for the Barreampeds? Maybe it could help me make a decision.

Thanks!

Tags
barre, barreamped, pretzel, suzanne bowen, unique