Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-07-18, 04:41 PM  
Bebop

I used to add reviews but I haven't bought anything new in years. My new purchases are actually older workouts.

I will try to review again, even the older ones.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-18, 04:44 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
I used to add reviews but I haven't bought anything new in years. My new purchases are actually older workouts.

I will try to review again, even the older ones.
I rarely buy DVDs either, but I add reviews for DVDs I get through trades, borrow from the library, etc. Even some very popular workouts have few or no reviews!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-18, 05:22 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I rarely buy DVDs either, but I add reviews for DVDs I get through trades, borrow from the library, etc. Even some very popular workouts have few or no reviews!
^2

i was very surprised that Ellen Barrett's Self Slim & Sleek Fast 2005 was missing from the list of VF reviews! so i filled out the VF online form to add it to the list.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-18, 11:32 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

A few months ago, I was looking for reviews for Margaret Richards' Perfect 10. There weren't any in the VF reviews. But, when I did Google search, there were VF reviews. They just hadn't been put in the reviews section or the links had been broken.

There may be more examples of this.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-18, 11:36 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I've put in several requests to Add Workout, but you can't post a review until a site moderator adds the workout to the menu.
Old 01-08-18, 12:42 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

That must be something new?
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-18, 01:30 PM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

Vintage VFer, I just tried to do a search to see what you mean, and I do see it.

http://www.videofitness.com/reviews/...bep10-v1v2.php

That is actually from the Old review system before I updated it. (It was updated in 2009). Wendy was supposed to hide/remove all the old reviews on the server but I guess they are still out there.

Those reviews are in the new system and they are found by going to the Margaret Richard page then finding the workout:

http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...nst.php?id=119

It is true the "Title Search" on the home page of the review system is not great. It would be better if it worked more like google. If you can't find a workout by title, looking by the instructor is the better way to go.

athompson10, Yes, new workouts need to be added to the system before they can be reviewed. And I have to approve the additions first. I do that once a week now on the weekends, so there is sometimes a delay.

I no longer get automatic emails when new workouts are added, so I make sure I check every Saturday or Sunday now. I have asked Wendy for access to the code so I can fix this and approve them faster, but she has not responded to me. (I will try emailing again.)

Everyone, I wrote the custom VF Review system in early 2009 so I could stop adding the reviews manually and also to help me learn how to become a proper web programmer. I did all that work for free while I was unemployed and it took me a few months. I now am a pretty good web developer and I could make this system much better, however, since most people don't even use the system anymore, I don't have much motivation to spend the time. I would like to make some small improvements, but I do need to get permission from Wendy and access before I can do anything.
Old 01-08-18, 06:49 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa C View Post
Everyone, I wrote the custom VF Review system in early 2009 so I could stop adding the reviews manually and also to help me learn how to become a proper web programmer. I did all that work for free while I was unemployed and it took me a few months. I now am a pretty good web developer and I could make this system much better, however, since most people don't even use the system anymore, I don't have much motivation to spend the time. I would like to make some small improvements, but I do need to get permission from Wendy and access before I can do anything.
YES SHE DID! And, before she did, the old review system was klunky and hard to add reviews to and took many man hours to keep up with. I was involved in the process for a little while and was really grateful for Lisa's work.

I'm glad you got something out of it, Lisa, but think that VF got the better end of the deal.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-18, 08:47 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I'm glad Lisa weighed in--she does do a great job!!!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-18, 12:35 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa C View Post
Thank you Lisa C for the review section . I refer to it quite a bit when I'm researching potential step workouts and periodically organizing my collection. Or if someone mentions an older workout in a thread, I head to the review section to see if it's one I might like. Amazon tends to have less helpful (to me) reviews when I've checked there.

I really like being able to click on a reviewer's name and being able to see/read all the reviews they've written. Some VFers were/are quite prolific reviewers. I keep meaning to contribute more to review section but it takes me so long to formulate and write down my thoughts and I'm not sure how many people still use the review section or if it's just me poking around there.

I do wish "videofitness.com online inspiration - at home perspiration" in the banner at the top of the page (in the review section) was clickable and would link back to the homepage (like how it does on the rest of the site). I'm always trying to click on it to get "home", forgetting it's not clickable (not sure what the correct terminology is).

Also, is it possible to make a correction to the release date listed for a workout? I noticed the other day that Franny Benedetto's Block Party Hi/Low likely has the wrong release date listed.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews, vf reviews, walk strong 3