Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-15, 05:14 PM  
katmom

I am sorry for your loss. Most people I know with cats that have feline herpes have found the L-Lysine supplement to help.

And no, I do not allow my "girls" in the fitness room when I am exercising. I have injured myself to avoid injuring them. Many years ago, one of my cats jumped on the treadmill with me which caused me to stumble as I tried to avoid stepping on her as she "flew" off the treadmill . Fortunately, she was fine while I tweaked my back. This same cat tried to catch the skis on the cross country ski machine, no one was injured during this attempt. So, I find it safer for me and the cats to keep them out of the fitness room during training sessions!
Old 12-06-15, 06:07 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

So sorry to hear of your loss. ((hugs)) Best of luck with your kitty decision... it's nice that, when your SO and you are fully ready, you will provide such a loving home.

I have a dog and 2 cats and none are allowed in my room when I'm exercising*. They get underfoot, ask for attention (or food!)... and my exercise time is my absolute Me Time, when I allow NO interruptions. I adore my furbabies but I'm mean that way.

*They do hang out in that room when I'm not exercising, though, and often leave their toys there.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-15, 07:13 PM  
Malinda

My furry princesses are not allowed in the workout room at all. I hate getting down on the floor for crunches or pushups and finding kitty litter there. Also, one of them likes to eat the exercise mats we have covering the floor (and then puke it up elsewhere in the house - delightful).

That being said, when Daddy isn't around, my sweet, non-mat-eating one loves to come join me for stretching. She especially loves Savasana. I don't have the heart to shoo her out of the room.
Old 12-06-15, 07:20 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Thanks all for your very kind words! Many VF pets have passed on over the years, I have always sympathized with those who have lost their furry friends but never truly understood it until Boots went up to pet heaven. It's tough....

Thanks again!
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-15, 07:38 PM  
Karyn
VF Supporter

My rescue cat has feline herpes, and if that's what she has it's not a big deal. Basically it is a respiratory virus that is dormant except when they are under stress. She pretty much sounded like she had a bad cold when I brought her home. She was picked up off the streets and then spent 10 month in the shelter and foster care when she came to my house. Very stressed! Now you not even know she has it since she's feeling at home. My other cat is also a rescue cat but was vaccinated before she picked the virus up so no problem

On subject, yes my cats are allowed in but they usually just hang out and don't bother me.

ETA: this form of herpes in not contagious to people
Karyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-15, 07:39 PM  
Malinda

We have had 4 black cats, and are addicted to them. We were also told that they are the most difficult to place - so sad, because all of ours have been wonderful! We've also had a Torti and a Maine Coon. They were great, too - ALL kitties are great, in my opinion - but the black ones are so lovable, total "lap fungus", too.
Old 12-06-15, 09:03 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

OMG....you black cat peeps, that's what our youngest is, the herpes cat!!! They're hard to adopt??? WHAT? Why?? He's such a character, I feel SO fortunate we were lucky enough to stumble on him at the right time.

Hmm, but now thinking about it, maybe he ~would~ have been hard to find a home for....he has a chipped ear because he had been neutered while in a feral colony. They pulled him out of the feral colony when they figured out he was actually people friendly (hence ending up at the rescue). He has a broken tail tip, and he has canine teeth that are so long, they hang out of his mouth and make him look like...well, a bat, or a vampire, or something else.

And yet, he's GORGEOUS in my mind!! Maybe it's just me and nobody else would see him the way I do, LOL!

And yes, lap fungus, he's a total lap fungus. Plus, he rules the roost and keeps our other cat and dog both in check. He's a fantastic play mate and just fit into our little family so perfectly the moment he came to live with us.

As far as workouts go, my cats are in love with my yoga mats, so I generally find I have partners for that though they don't bother me too much during other types of workouts. But during yoga, they mostly show off and tell me how I'm doing everything wrong, all while offering to towel off my sweat with their fur. So nice of them!!!

The herpes is not a big deal, really. Don't let that deter you from adopting
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-15, 08:33 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Update on the adoption:

I did not get Star which was the little kitty I had a meet and greet set up with for Wednesday. She ended up being adopted out before I had the chance to meet her. I went to the Humane Society instead and found the newest member of our family, I put her on hold and will go pick her up today. We needed to get some supplies first...litter, food, bowls, toys, etc.

Her name is Midnight! I think it will take some time to get used to our place but I think she will fit right in...let's hope! Here is a picture of her....she is black, soft and furry!

There are so many nice cats at the humane society waiting for homes, I saw three others get adopted yesterday. Including a big orange boy cat who was super friendly, he was adopted by an older lady who was just ecstatic to get him. It was really nice to see.

Thanks again for all your input!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	midnight.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	4332  
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-15, 08:45 AM  
Kitten

Congratulations Taramisu!
What a pretty girl!
What a happy story about the orange cat.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-15, 08:54 AM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

awwwwwwwwwwww
ear skritchies to your new family member