Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-15, 09:18 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Yes. Samara was a sweetie. We do often have cats less than a year old. We have a nice little Tuxedo girl named Cassie right now who's 3 months.

It's a tough decision when to replace a cat. Lots of emotions there. It has to feel right and you have to make that love connection with the new addition.

Oh, and none of our cats have litterbox issues when they leave even if that's the reason they were surrendered. Often it's due to other animals in the house, kids, an undiagnosed urinary tract infection or other stress.

I don't mean to sound like an ad - just want to give info. . Good luck.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-15, 11:24 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

Just wishing you best of luck and lots of joy with your potential new kitty. I do not let mines close to me when I exercise for their safety. Once Gatsby ran into an almost swing and it freaked me out for ever completely.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-15, 11:39 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

I can't advise you on whether or not to adopt, as I'm completely unsuccessful at being a cat-free person. An utter failure. However, I'm very experienced with feline herpes, and our newer little bugger definitely has it too, though that was not disclosed at the rescue when my husband saved him from the gallows.

Our vet too said nearly ALL cats have it. The best advice is to have L-Lysine on hand and mix it into their food when they are having an outbreak or going to be having a stressful situation (trip to the vet, moving, whatever might stress kitty out) to prevent/heal outbreaks. I did this for years with my last herpes baby (RIP) and it worked wonders.

Our constitution-of-steel older adult cat has not displayed any evidence of contracting herpes when the little one has his outbreaks, but I also keep everyone current on shots, etc.

Good luck to you

Last edited by kittybug; 12-05-15 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Typos, fingers not awake
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-15, 01:09 PM  
laurajhawk

One of my cats has feline herpes. She gets L-lysine mixed into her food every day, and she has outbreaks where she's sneezy and snuffly for a few days. She has had a few respiratory infections during her life & we resolved those with antibiotics.

I don't close my cats out of the room while exercising. The herpes kitty likes that room, partly b/c there's a humidifier in there in the winter, I think When I had two little kittens (herpes kitty included), they climbed on me during yoga. Cute but annoying. The other baby would try to grab my ponytail during crunches - painful but cute. They got over it, and now they mostly just watch; herpes kitty likes to lie on my belly during savasana sometimes.

I've never taken up kettlebells, partly because of the cats ... *flinging* weights around seems dangerous, lol. But mostly it's because I don't want to buy & store more stuff.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-15, 02:11 PM  
videofit

My (late) cats used to watch until they got bored. In the old Firm days they liked hopping on my tall box. When doing ab crunches, one would sit on my abdomen to increase resistance. When I was holding a plank, one would hop on my back (like the one in LAC's current avatar) and the other would lie down underneath me -- so I was forced to get stronger or kill one of them in the process!

I miss those little buggers.
Old 12-06-15, 07:48 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Depends. Years ago my best cat ever was allowed in the room. Sometimes he would rest on my belly while i did crunches. I miss him.

The other two cats (one of which is still with us) we have had the answer is no for the most part. I use my workout time to feed him breakfast in the adjacent bathroom where his food bowl and littler box are located downstairs. It gives him some time alone to not feel rushed to eat and to get a bit of a nap in while I workout. I have had him in the room but he likes to wander under my feet and roll around on my weights.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-15, 08:57 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Both of my cats have a free reign of the house and go wherever and whenever they please. Both of them hate closed doors and will pound on it until they're let in. They stroll into my exercise room while I'm there, but unless I'm on the floor, they don't bother me. When I'm doing floor exercises, Basil will lay very close to my face and watch me closely. I swear I saw him laughing at me on occasion.
Old 12-06-15, 09:10 AM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

first, huge hugs
second, my beasts have full reign in the house

these guys took one look at the kettlebell in action, said "hellno" in cat, and ran

they do "assist" with yoga and are particularly fond of any plank positions.
By fond I mean they like to lay down under me.

little furry dorks

feline herpes... if they stay indoors it really shouldn't be a problem (according to my vet)
Old 12-06-15, 11:05 AM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

I feel sad for your loss and hope all works out well with the new cat you are hoping for.
When I had cats it was impossible to exclude them from my workout room as they would scratch, bang and meow at the door, relentlessly.
I had usually started a workout by the time they arrived and they got the idea pretty quickly to stay at a distance. They took up positions in the room pretending no interest while grooming and cat napping yet taking sneak peeks at what I was doing. The moment I hit the floor all bets were off, they would come fast as lightning because I definitely needed assistance and smooches to help me along. That part was awkward and funny or annoying depending how persistent they were. For the most part it was fine to have them there and not like I had a choice.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-15, 12:58 PM  
Bluebelle

I'm so sorry for your loss and wish you the best of luck in finding a new kitty. The kitty you are pondering sounds adorable.

Long time ago I had a paper workout I used to follow. My kitty used to supervise me doing the leg lifts. Two set of leg lifts (inner & outer thigh) on each leg. I think she was counting to make sure I didn't miss one.

I've never kept them out while exercising but did have to keep an eye out to not trip over them.
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote