Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-15, 03:34 PM  
spotted zebra

Question Lumie Bodyclock - Waking up to light & nature sounds vs. a regular alarm clock

Ever since my last dawn simulator clock stopped working, I've been on the lookout for a different one to replace it. Especially now that it's getting darker and harder to wake early for morning workouts. Has anyone tried the Lumie Bodyclock from the UK? There are several versions and I'm thinking of this model - Lumie Active:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lumie-Bodycl...umie+bodyclock

It's important to me to have one with a replaceable bulb and the option to turn off the lit time display at night, as well as battery back up. All of which the Lumie has. Before this I considered the Philips Wake-up Sunrise Clock but it seems to be missing those features. In the meantime I'm using a regular (noisy) alarm clock and I'd forgotten how much more harsh it feels waking up like that.

Any reviews or feedback? Or other brand suggestions? Thanks.

ETA: Correction - I've since discovered the Lumie Active 250 doesn't use batteries. But it has power failure back up.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-15, 06:36 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I hope you get some responses; I'm interested!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-15, 08:50 PM  
spotted zebra

I've been reading what I can online and watching how-to (set up) clips on Youtube. Here's a chart which shows the differences between the different Lumie models. One up from the Active, Elite, includes two guided meditations to help you fall asleep at night.

http://www.lumie.com/pages/compare-wake-up-lights

This is the company someone online said Lumie gets their meditations from:

https://www.meditainment.com/

I'll most likely just continue to use my CD player or MP3 player for guided meditations. But I think it's interesting that a maker of a sunrise/sunset clock thought to include meditations in their clock. I also like how Lumie is a company that specializes in light therapy products in general.
Old 11-15-15, 09:09 PM  
dakko

The Lumie clocks look nice! I am also curious to hear responses.

I have the Phillips Wake-up Light HF3471. Although there is no option to turn off the lit display (and no battery backup), I wanted to let you know that the display has an adjustable setting. I'm very sensitive to light, but using the lowest setting and turning the display away from me keeps the light from being noticeable.
dakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 09:43 AM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakko View Post
The Lumie clocks look nice! I am also curious to hear responses.

I have the Phillips Wake-up Light HF3471. Although there is no option to turn off the lit display (and no battery backup), I wanted to let you know that the display has an adjustable setting. I'm very sensitive to light, but using the lowest setting and turning the display away from me keeps the light from being noticeable.
Dakko, thank you. I just looked that model up on Amazon and it's the first time I've seen it. I don't remember the model number of the Philips clock I looked at previously, but it was one of the round ones. Are you able to replace the light bulb on your model?

I used to have to turn my last clock away from me too, to avoid seeing the light from the display at night.

ETA: About five years ago there was another VF thread on light wake up clocks and one brand some VFers said they have is the Biobrite (which has mixed reviews online). In the past few years other clocks along these lines have since become available so I thought I'd start a new thread.
Old 11-16-15, 02:18 PM  
dakko

Yes, the light bulb is replaceable. The clock got knocked onto the floor one time when I fell and hit the table -- I was really surprised that nothing broke!

I was double checking last night. As long as it is facing away from me, I cannot see the light (no glow). But if I am walking towards the display, I can read it easily. It is very dim on the lowest setting.

I'm glad you started this thread. The light clock helps me a lot. Always good to know about the options available, just in case the current one breaks or stops working.
dakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 05:01 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

I bought the Phillips alarm clock last January, and I am a big convert to waking up to light instead of sound. It makes a difference in my mood each morning.

I too am glad to know about other options, in case I need to buy a replacement at some point.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-15, 08:12 AM  
spotted zebra

Thanks Paula and Dakko. I read reviews from people saying their Philips bulbs couldn't be replaced on other models so I'm glad they resolved that with the one you have, Dakko. It's a lot to pay if you have to replace the whole clock when the light no longer works (some cheaper brands are like that too) and not very environmentally friendly. But if you can replace the bulb it's worth every penny.

I loved that I never had to use the sound to wake up to my last sunrise clock. The gradually increasing light was enough. I set my other one to birds chirping at the end of the light cycle just as a reminder to get out of bed but by that point I'd be fully awake and ready to start the day.

It looks like no one here has tried the Lumie so I went ahead and ordered it this morning. I can't wait til I can go back to waking up to light again!
Old 11-18-15, 09:59 AM  
spotted zebra

I just wanted to add a link to the Philips clock Dakko has. Paula, is this the one you have too?

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-HF3471...SY27DV2TZG2YH3
Old 11-18-15, 11:43 AM  
BigBadBetty

I have the older version of this one: http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Wake-U.../dp/B00ID1VUZC.

I didn't like it because there was a click when the light turned on. The click woke me up...defeating the whole purpose of waking to a light. I should research some of these other ones.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm clock, light therapy, lumie, phillips, sad, sunrise clock, wake up light