Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-28-11, 09:41 AM  
turbo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritSong View Post
Great post, Renda. I will do my best to do my duty in 2012.

Since I am starting January with a Turbo Jam rotation, perhaps I will add my review to all of those (all except the ball workouts). Although I worry my reviews will be influenced by how far I am into 2012.

Jan. 1st - Chalene is the best instructor ever! So much energy!!

Jan. 15th - Wow, that Chalene sure keeps going, doesn't she. Does the cast really have to smile THAT big throughout the whole workout?

Jan. 30th - Thank goodness the month is ending. If I have to see Chalene's stupid gansta mom face one more time . . .
love it!
Old 12-28-11, 09:43 AM  
topfitmama

Renda, thanks for the laugh!
I agree with your post and I agree that you encouraged us all to post more reviews. I tend to be long-winded and to not know what I'm talking about as much as others, but I love sharing my opinion so I go for it anyway.

Thanks for reminding us to keep posting reviews!!!!
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 09:55 AM  
Tiny

Renda, what a cute and funny post! I loved it and completely agree. However, I am not much of a reviewer but I LOVE reading what is reviewed and truly appreciate each and every one! So thank you everyone who does a review!

H.O.P.E.=Hold On Pain Ends
D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

"If I fall, I will get back up. If I am beaten, I will return."
"Strong is what happens when you run out of weak."
"As the New Year dawns we look back on a year of upheaval through the world and through our lives as well. Life is difficult. For those of us raised with the illusion that if we go to school, work hard, all will be well, that illusion dies hard."
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 10:01 AM  
lesia

Hey, I'm afraid that I'll come off cheesy and a Pollyanna by my recent Cathe raves. I guess I just feel like raving while my endorphins are high and I'm loving life at that moment. I totally realize that Cathe (old and new) might not be for everyone, but my I have a lot of workouts and until recently, nobody got as many raves as Cathe. I think it's because I'm at a time in my life where workouts are my sanity. Yes, it's a hobby, but it's my way to go in my exercise room and escape for a while.

I keep telling my husband that me working out an hour or so a day is no more different than he watching TV for hours. He still doesn't get it.

Anyhoo, there are workouts that I liked in the initial phases: Insanity, Asylum, PeakFit, Firm, etc. but my Cathe workouts fill a niche for me at this time.

I feel happy when I do a workout and it's hard to explain to someone who doesn't get it.

I'll keep raving about Cathe but I'll also post the negatives when I find them. I'm just grooving right now.

Happy New Year!
Lesia
lesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 10:07 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Nice post, Renda!

Although I tend to offer more detailed breakdowns in my own reviews, when reading reviews myself, like Pat said, sometimes it is just a simply line that will be helpful to me, perhaps even something the reviewer doesn't like (because I will thing "wait, I do like that--this DVD is perfect for me!" ).

For this reason, I always think the more reviews, the merrier! Sometimes I'll be considering trading for a DVD that was popular awhile back. It can be extremely difficult to wade through all of the threads on GD to find information ("X is being released next week!" "Did you receive your copy of X yet?" "My X is defective!"), so I turn to the reviews. In many cases, I am disappointed to find that despite the workout's popularity, there are few or sometimes even NO reviews.

So definitely, what Renda said--don't be afraid to submit your review! Lisa C has created a fabulous new Reviews section that is so easy to use. (Note: if you haven't done a review under the new system, you will have to create a user name just for the reviews, but Lisa also provides very easy instructions on how to do this.)

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 10:07 AM  
lesia

double post

Last edited by lesia; 12-28-11 at 10:19 AM. Reason: double post
lesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 10:15 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Reviews have a myriad of uses.
The negative for you can be a positive for me (TIFTing is my life).

A positive for you can be a negative for me (umm, no puking in a bucket is not on my agenda today).

No matter what you write and how you write it, someone will take it a way you never envisioned and a way that works for them.

So when you write a fangrrrrlll or a hater (hate the workout, not the instructor) review, it will be read as such and interpreted by the reader in that framework.

So go for it.

Oh, and the evolution of a rotation would be fabulous. Timelined reviews, a new category for sure. If Facebook can do it, why can't VF (just kidding, Lisa. No code writing requested.)

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 11:12 AM  
mtnmom

Great post Renda, and it conveys many of my feelings although I'm lax about writing reviews myself. I tend to be a bit brief and it pales in comparison to those who take the time to write detailed breakdowns. But sometimes I just need to know if the workout was fun and is the reviewer anxious to do it again.

I write more in the style of what you see at Collage Video. Since the breakdown graph and video clip are there, the reviews focus don't focus on those details. It's usually a blip about liking/disliking and why. Sort of hit and run reviewing, but those are useful too.
Old 12-28-11, 11:36 AM  
KayB
VF Supporter

Renda, you may have been on the drill team back when, but you're a darned good review writing cheerleader today! Thanks! Shake those pom poms baby! Where's the pom pom smilie?
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 11:38 AM  
sunday

Renda, thanks so much for your post! You've inspired and encouraged to write a review.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews, soap box