Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-14, 10:53 AM  
Chomper

Body Weight Blast

I did Patrick Goudeau's new Body Weight Blast yesterday and loved it!

I expected excellent music, a fun attitude from Patrick, interesting moves, lots of deep lunges and squats touching the floor, lots of core work weaved throughout the workout mostly in the form of plank variations, high intensity cardio and to get my butt kicked. I definitely got what I expected.

Since I know people will be asking how intense it is compared to Lean Hot Body and Extreme Calorie Burn, I would say it might be a bit easier. I managed to get through it for the most part even though I was having a lower energy day. I'm pretty strong and have good balance, so the parts where I did punk out were some of the cardio intervals. The last cardio interval has really fast tuck jumps that even the background exercisers couldn't keep up with! I also think that some of the bodyweight segments felt more like rest periods than in Lean Hot Body. It is definitely a strenuous workout, just maybe not as crazy as LHB.

On to the format: I think this new format is an improvement. It is less repetitive than Lean Hot Body and Extreme Calorie Burn. There are 8 sections with 3 minutes of bodyweight exercises, 2 minutes of "heavy" weights, and a 1 minute cardio interval. Sometimes you do something on the right hand side, and then repeat it on the left hand side, but the whole thing is not going to last more than 3 minutes tops before you're on to something else. It's also nice to have a good idea how long each little section is going to last.

There were some tribal feeling movements, animal movements, a wide variety of moves, returning to Patrick's emphasis on large range of motion in squats and lunges. He continually says to get your weights all the way to the floor on those moves.

What's new is that the weights are meant to be heavier. He said that backgrounder Sheila had 15 lb dumbbells. That is not really my definition of heavy weights, and in a few areas I could have gone much heavier because the reps were so few (bent over rows, suitcase deadlifts), but then he strings them together with some exercises where I would not want to go over 15 lbs. (I started with 15 but dropped to 10 lbs for this first time through the workout) It's a different way of training, and I certainly feel DOMS throughout my body today.

There's a lot of balance work that is fun to do and seems inspired sometimes by yoga, sometimes by dance. Plenty of core work in various plank exercises.

I also want to add that this workout had super super fun factor. The music really is fantastic and goes with the moves. I was so happy to Sheila as a backgrounder, again. Patrick has a lot of fun interchanges with her throughout the workout. He teases her a lot and it makes me chuckle.

Oh, the dvd menu allows you to select the entire workout, or to customize your workout by picking which sections you want to do. You can choose from the warm up, cool down, and all 8 individual sections. This would make using this dvd for add-ons quite easy, as well as designing your own little premix to fit whatever time you have available, or even just scrambling them into a different order.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-14, 11:38 AM  
ChrisS

Thank you for the excellent review! I agree with everything you said.

Chris
ChrisS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-14, 12:37 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Thank you for the excellent review! I agree with everything you said.

Chris
Thanks!

Just thought I would add that I am so happy with the amount of emphasis given to posterior chain muscles in this workout. Patrick is good at that.

I did Cathe's Circuit Blast a few days ago, and was again annoyed at how the back work was almost nonexistent, and the only glutes and hamstring work was from the cardio plyo moves.
Old 01-20-14, 12:40 PM  
kariev34

I just ordered this workout and Release Yoga with him and Erin Kirk from Mary. See what happens when I stay home from work sick
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-14, 01:04 PM  
shoegoddess

I did this yesterday. LOVED It!

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-14, 01:50 PM  
Fitstick

Does it have a lot of burpees, planks and mountain climbers? Just asking since I am burnt out on workouts that have these moves..
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-14, 02:07 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Thank you for the review. It sounds great!!
Old 01-20-14, 02:20 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitstick View Post
Does it have a lot of burpees, planks and mountain climbers? Just asking since I am burnt out on workouts that have these moves..

You will definitely want to avoid this workout!

But if you start to miss burpees, planks and mt climbers, do consider rekindling your love of them with this workout...
Old 02-02-14, 10:48 AM  
Tugger31

I guess overall I didn't find it too heavy on the burpees/mtn climbers I think because they were done with some interesting twist or interspersed with some weight work so I didn't find myself thinking "omg burpees again".
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body weight blast, patrick goudeau, reviews