Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-14, 04:15 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
Yeah...I had no idea these were the prices that barre studio memberships were going for. I guess I haven't looked in a few years, but back when I took classes at Barre3, that $99/month was the standard rate...no commitment. But this was when the only had studios in Portland (I think Sadie had just sold her first franchise in another place.) I guess now that barre is a big trend and studios like TBM and Barre3 got in on the leading edge, the price has really been driven up.
In my area, $100 a month is usually what studios offer as a newcomer special. Monthly memberships with auto-pay usually run around $200 a month, but they offer deals around New Year's and in the summer. Attendance really drops off in the summer.

Barre3 is actually on the cheaper end of things. I think they are charging $20 per class. Bar Method charges $26, and Pure Barre and independent studios are somewhere in between. But there are deals to be had! I found some steals on groupon-type sites and studios offer sales and specials. I've decided $15 is the absolute most I will pay for a class, and I usually pay much less. I did a monthly unlimited once and used it enough to get the per-class price down to $3!

I do wish I didn't love expensive exercise. I wish I could be satisfied with Planet Fitness for $10 a month incl. free pizza and bagels, but alas...
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-14, 07:05 PM  
sillygirl

This thread got me curious so I checked on prices at my closest Barre3. They are still offering the $99/mth membership. It's in the pricier part of the county (near the beach and high-tech/banking/pharmaceutical companies). The owners are the two background exercisers with Sadie in the Barre3 Burner DVD. Maybe the Founders' Rate will still be offered somewhere down the line. Wish I lived closer so I could do the live classes. The owners were very nice even though I was just there to buy a book.
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-14, 10:57 AM  
neatski

I've done both types of live classes (and of course pretty much all their DVD classes) and I prefer Barre3. Barre3 is SO intelligently designed and there are more compound/functional movements. Barre3 takes the best of barre (tiny movements to engage muscles) and integrates it into a more balanced approach that works both the accessory and large muscle groups. Perhaps just as importantly, there's just something about their whole studio culture that is different. Barre3 is much more health-focused than appearance-focused, and that's important to me. There is some body talk, but there's a lot more strength and energy talk.

Side note: I do think TBM can be a little more challenging than Barre3 because they have you hold positions for so long and do tiny movements and variations thereof for longer than Barre3, but I'm not sure that this is more effective.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-14, 12:04 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Oh dear. The plot thickens.

The local barre3 just posted another blurb about the founder's special deal, indicating there is 'no commitment!' Really? That was not at all clear when I looked into it! The fine print on the Mind/Body page said the founder's deal was for the period of 10/27/2014-10/26/2015. So I assumed that meant I had to sign up for the whole year. Now they're saying 'no commitment?'

Oh well. I committed to TBM. I am looking forward to trying barre3 on the 22nd. I'll let you all know what I think.

In other news, TBM agreed to let me hold my membership for a few weeks while I use up some classes I had at other studios. So this month I'm at a local independent studio. I've been there before--a few times this summer. I typically found the classes quite challenging, but today it was really easy! Made me wonder... was it just an easier class? Or has TBM turned me into a major badass? It wouldn't surprise me if it did. It was actually nice to be in an easier class. I do feel a bit ready for a wee break after a hardcore month of TBM with the instructors cracking the whip!
Old 10-22-14, 12:41 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I went to barre3 today! Check out my review on my blog here.
Old 10-22-14, 02:33 PM  
Emily B
VF Supporter

Nice review! I'm iffy on the half-walled playroom since I don't want my 3 year old to see me until I am ready to get him!! I also agree about the mirror thing - it is hard to check form, but at the same time, I'm sometimes glad to not have to see myself in the mirror at 6 am, ha ha! I for one love the compound movements and high reps. I really feel that it adds a cardio component and burns calories which I like since I am a compulsive HRM checker!
Old 10-22-14, 03:03 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Yes, the compound moves were nice.

I was concerned about the half-walled playroom. It's was nuts as people were coming in, kids were crying, etc. The floor is not carpeted so there was a lot of echo in the room and it was very NOT relaxing at first! I was worried sound would be an issue (hard to hear the cues) but once we got started and everyone got to work (read: stopped chatting) it was fine.

As I was driving (briefly!) to the studio, I was worried I had made a terrible mistake--it really is close to my home! I don't need take major, congested roads... so convenient. But I think I made the right decision for now. I really miss the Bar Method! I might get tired of TBM. It can be a little same-same, so I can def. see myself doing a stint at barre3 at some point, but today wasn't a 'eureka! I have found it!' experience.
Old 10-22-14, 03:55 PM  
Emily B
VF Supporter

It's nice to have choices! And good choices at that 😃
Old 10-23-14, 12:17 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

[QUOTE=Emily B;2460840 I for one love the compound movements and high reps. I really feel that it adds a cardio component and burns calories which I like since I am a compulsive HRM checker![/QUOTE]

Do you find the dvds have the same high reps/compound movements that burn calories or is it mostly the live classes and/or online classes? TIA
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-14, 08:19 PM  
Emily B
VF Supporter

I definitely burn more in the live classes. Maybe the 60 minute online workouts would be closer to the live classes, but I definitely find the live classes more intense.