Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-14, 08:07 PM  
raeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
PrairieGem, good suggestions. I'm usually very decisive, which is probably why I'm kind of freaked out about being so indecisive! I just wish I had more information/the chance to take a barre3 class before I have to make a decision... but I don't/can't. It's just the way it is.

I think I'm going to go with TBM. Even though the barre3 founders deal is super cheap, I don't want to commit to a whole year of barre3.
I must have missed where you said you'd have to sign with barre3 for a year to get the founders deal. I wouldn't wait and hope either. Go with what you know you like. Check out barre3 as you can and then change things later down the road if you feel you like it better there. That's what I would do anyway!
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-14, 08:16 PM  
kristieschultz1

I joined a local bar method studio in March and worked out there almost daily for about 6 months. I too thought that the form pointers were excellent and really loved some of the instructors, but noticed over time that various other and/or new instructors were not as great and once they saw me a few times and got to know me, and i got better at form, they kind of ignored me and moved on to other people who needed more help. They had a few level 2 classes, but not many. I would wonder over time if you would find the mixed classes a little too easy, especially because you have been doing P57, which I find more challenging, and certainly more upbeat, than mixed TBM classes. When I first joined I thought it was the best thing in the world and felt pampered, loved it, really felt like I was spending time at a spa, but after about 6 months I noticed myself gaining a little weight and burning out on TBM so I went back to weight training and cardio. Thats another thing, since I was spending a whopping 175 a month I went almost daily and ended up really neglecting my cardio, I wish they had offered at least a few cardio classes in addition to the bar for that price. I don't know much about Barre3 but one is nearby to my house as well but it is more expensive and has less class offerings. I do think, however, that they have different classes that also incorporate actual cardio, this is something you might want to find out about before you make your decision. Personally, I think you should do the introductory month at TBM as well as at Barre3 then make your final decision, if possible. I also think that the fact that Barre3 is closer is a huge plus. And this is my final comment and something I kept thinking about over my 6 months at TBM, what is up with so much repetition. It was nice to know what was coming next but the warmup, the stretches, roundback, flatback, pretty much EVERYTHING about the workout was super repetitive. They mixed up seat and butt exercises to make them interesting and effective but for the most part, the format of the class and the other exercises were just the same thing over and over, I just got sick of it. And the style of the workout is very spa-like, no wooping or screaming like Tanya in P57, which I personally love, so it is a little sterile. So that sterility and repetitiveness (and lack of any major results) got me after a while and I'm back to cardio and weights.
kristieschultz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-14, 08:43 PM  
kristieschultz1

I just read all of your messages, had not seen all of them. No, I would NOT commit to a whole year of this stuff, especially because the commute is so far and you already have alot of experience with bar workouts. I do think it will be fun for you to join either place and go for awhile, just a nice break from your home workouts, I really enjoyed it. But, you might find over time that once you get the form down well, you may want to go back to doing your own workouts at home, maybe even more advanced ones or whatever. I think that home exercise is just so much better overall, we have so many options now and it is just so much cheaper. let me know how this all goes!!!
Old 10-06-14, 02:02 AM  
topfitmama

The way I see it, TBM is more of an investment as you are looking forward to being trained by them to be an instructor. If I were in your position, I'd sign on with them, try out Barre3 when the studio opens, and if you love it at Barre3 AND they offer to train you to be an instructor, then hop off the TBM train and onto the B3 one.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-14, 07:49 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristieschultz1 View Post
I joined a local bar method studio in March and worked out there almost daily for about 6 months. I too thought that the form pointers were excellent and really loved some of the instructors, but noticed over time that various other and/or new instructors were not as great and once they saw me a few times and got to know me, and i got better at form, they kind of ignored me and moved on to other people who needed more help. They had a few level 2 classes, but not many. I would wonder over time if you would find the mixed classes a little too easy, especially because you have been doing P57, which I find more challenging, and certainly more upbeat, than mixed TBM classes. When I first joined I thought it was the best thing in the world and felt pampered, loved it, really felt like I was spending time at a spa, but after about 6 months I noticed myself gaining a little weight and burning out on TBM so I went back to weight training and cardio. Thats another thing, since I was spending a whopping 175 a month I went almost daily and ended up really neglecting my cardio, I wish they had offered at least a few cardio classes in addition to the bar for that price. I don't know much about Barre3 but one is nearby to my house as well but it is more expensive and has less class offerings. I do think, however, that they have different classes that also incorporate actual cardio, this is something you might want to find out about before you make your decision. Personally, I think you should do the introductory month at TBM as well as at Barre3 then make your final decision, if possible. I also think that the fact that Barre3 is closer is a huge plus. And this is my final comment and something I kept thinking about over my 6 months at TBM, what is up with so much repetition. It was nice to know what was coming next but the warmup, the stretches, roundback, flatback, pretty much EVERYTHING about the workout was super repetitive. They mixed up seat and butt exercises to make them interesting and effective but for the most part, the format of the class and the other exercises were just the same thing over and over, I just got sick of it. And the style of the workout is very spa-like, no wooping or screaming like Tanya in P57, which I personally love, so it is a little sterile. So that sterility and repetitiveness (and lack of any major results) got me after a while and I'm back to cardio and weights.
Kristie, thanks for your thoughts. I do agree that TBM can be a little same-same. And it is certainly not party-in-a-box like P57.

So far, I have only taken class with the two owners, who are experienced instructors. From the very beginning, they have been very attentive, and I've been very vocal about how much I appreciate that and the challenges they offer me. I am a little apprehensive about how newer instructors will be...

I understand Jennifer's feelings about the 'public calling out' you get at TBM. That would have def. been a turn-off for me when I was younger, but now I actually like it. I feel like it enables them to get to more people, and we can all benefit from everyone's form corrections. My local instructors are very good about not overly publically calling out any one person, even if that person is a total beginner. They are very equal-opportunity that way! And will privately correct someone if she needs more interventions than the rest of us.

I am a little concerned I'll get bored at TBM, but I can quit anytime, with 30-day notice.

The barre3 founders deal is certainly very unique. I've never seen that from any other barre brand. Usually they offer a monthly unlimited for a low rate when they first open. It is a lot of commitment to expect from people. Esp. since my local barre3 offered so few community classes. And barre3 is not a well represented barre brand here on the east coast. I expected them to offer a monthly unlimited deal, and if I liked my first class, I'd sign up for that. But I guess that's not how they do things in barre3 land!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-14, 08:09 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
The way I see it, TBM is more of an investment as you are looking forward to being trained by them to be an instructor. If I were in your position, I'd sign on with them, try out Barre3 when the studio opens, and if you love it at Barre3 AND they offer to train you to be an instructor, then hop off the TBM train and onto the B3 one.
The becoming a TBM instructor may not be 'meant to be,' but I am very attracted to the training TBM offers their instructors. I think it would be so fascinating to go through that process, since I'm so interested in barre.

So, I'll give TBM a whirl and we'll see how it goes. I'm interested to see how it progresses as they train new people, and I'll be excited to meet Burr in January!

I'll always love Physique 57, but I highly doubt they will ever open a convenient studio near me. If they did open in Boston, it would surely be on uber-posh Beacon Hill and they'd charge 7x what everyone else is charging, knowing them.... <sigh>
Old 10-06-14, 06:48 PM  
kristieschultz1

Be careful about the 30 day thing tho because I think I cancelled after a certain date and I still had to pay for like 45 more days. Ask them specifically about which day of the month you would want to cancel on to only have to pay for 30 more days.

I think you are going to enjoy TBM for awhile and it will be a nice, welcome, change from at-home P57 workouts.

If I ever go back to bar I would love if P57 got some type of streaming, new, changing, workouts, and I imagine that may happen in the future.

I did love TDM so much as first that I considered becoming an instructor at some point, but I am too busy now with work anyway, however I think it would be a great learning experience. I wonder if you get a free membership, that way I wouldn't feel bad about only going 3 days a week and doing cardio and/or yoga stretching those other days because i wouldn't be forking out all that cash per month.

I'm sure it is great already, but I think your form will improve once you join. My posture improved and my flexibility improved a little and my form got so much better. Flexibility tho is another little gripe I had, I wish since the workout was a whole hour that they would hold their stretches a little longer because you cannot gain flexibility unless you hold them longer, I'm talking even 15 seconds or so. Some of their stretches just felt so rushed I would get into this nice stretch pose and they would take you right back out of it, what's the use of that! I gained a little flexibility but quickly hit a wall. I did love the stretching incorporated into the workouts tho.
Old 10-07-14, 04:00 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Kristie, yes I totally agree about the stretching. That is actually my one complaint about TBM that I should have noted in my blog review. The final stretches just aren't held long enough. I feel like the mid-workout stretches are held longer, though. I think they try to pack so much in at the end, they run out of time.

I do notice my form has improved already and I do feel like I have made some strength gains, so I'm glad about that.

Instructors do get to take classes for free! And I think they can also take classes at other studios when they're travelling, which is awesome. I was surprised about that since each studio is independently owned... I'm almost sure that's true but I can't remember where I heard it so maybe I'm making it up??!

I also really liked TDM. I've taken four classes there when I've been on the west coast with three different instructors. One was meh, but the other three were super.

Physique 57 is filming some new workouts, but unless they lower their pricing, there is no way I'd spend $57 a month on streaming workouts. I'd much rather put that money towards local classes.
Old 10-07-14, 06:01 PM  
ruthular

Been in exactly your situation! I did the barre3 founding members deal for a year. I loved the classes and am forever greatful for my time there, but a new studio does have limited resources and it takes a while to build a clientele. I often went to classes that were sparce (2 or 3, sometimes only me) and expect a fair amount of turnover in the first year. It was good, but not perfect by a long shot. Instruction was generally quite good, but one instructor wasn't fantastic and she wound up teaching my preferred class time 2 or 3 times/week.

Switched to TBM for a few months. Love it, instruction is fantastic -- but it's 20 minutes away from home with iffy parking. It is more robotic, which can be good or bad. Classes fill up fast and i have to plan in advance. Ultimately, i got myself to barre3 more frequently because it was closer and i could drop in.

Ultimately, i ran a cost analysis and found that if you go 3-4 times per week, it's usually best to go with the class pack at either studio. Maybe a few dollars more some months but total flexibility -- and no guilt if i decide to switch brands for a week or a month. And, when i messed up my foot and needed time off i didn't need to waste a precious annual freeze. And, if i am feeling poor i can just workout at home for a week or two until i have the cash. Also, i won't try to push through illness or injury which definitely was an issue for me when i had the annual contract.

Have fun whichever you choose!
ruthular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-14, 07:03 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Ruthular, thanks for chiming in! I'm glad to hear from you because I remember that thread about barre3 in which you expressed you weren't entirely happy!

One thing I like about start-ups is small class size. My Bar Method class yesterday was packed--so glad their business is picking up, but it was really uncomfortably full. It's good to hear you were generally pleased with both.

I did decide to go with The Bar Method. Tomorrow is my last day on my pre-opening special. I bought the membership and got $25 off the first month because I completed a challenge they were having (attending a certain number of classes this month, review on Yelp, Facebook check-ins, that sort of thing.) I paid for the first month, but they are holding my place b/c I have some classes to use up at other studios (major steals I got over the summer!) So I'll be doing a month at a local independent studio, my remaining 7 classes at Pure Barre, then I'll go back to TBM.

In the meantime, I will go to the free class at barre3. I do hope they are very successful, because they are the only studio in the area that offers childcare! That would have been such a great thing to have had access to when DS2 was home. And I thought about it and realized it isn't that much closer than Bar Method. I would save me maybe 10-15 mins. total, which isn't a huge deal.

The thing I realized from this whole situation is how obsessed I get about getting the best deal! I'm always trying to optimize the best possible outcome and I make myself crazy. Deals come and go. I thought the best deal at Bar Method would be the pre-opening special, but they've since offered a couple of other deals that are even better, including a Gilt City special--6 weeks for $100! New clients only. <sigh>

And I think I'll start seeing even better deals now that barre3 is opening. There are just a lot of studios in my area, which is awesome! Love that barre is sprouting up everywhere. There is a lot of competition. I just hope barre3 did enough to promote themselves early on. They really did very few community classes and they're not a known brand in this part of the country.

Anyway, listen to me blathering on. I appreciate everyone's input. Love that I have such great peeps to turn to for advice! We are a niche group, to be sure.