intelsana

I love Elta MD sunscreen.
intelsana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-14, 10:19 AM  
LeanneM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelsana View Post
I love Elta MD sunscreen.
Thanks, Intelsana! I've looked at this brand before. Does it work well under foundation?
LeanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-14, 01:47 PM  
altinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by met fan View Post
Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes. My 19 year old son has terrible cystic acne. Two years ago he went on Accutane which really worked but then it came back. He does not want to go back on medication if he does not have too. Does anyone have ant recommendations for over the counter treatments? He really would like to try something simple without a lot of steps. Thanks.
I have suffered from cystic acne in the past (20 years off and on). I will tell you that I have tried everything topical and have had some good results from masks at a medical esthetician's office. They charge around $65 and put these masks on your face that cause sheets of skin to peel off. They contain a combination of bha and aha acids. Over time, my skin responded. The skin care that they recommended was La Roche Posay -- very simple cleanser, sun screen, and an acne care product. Jan Marini was also a good line for acne -- however, it is SO expensive.

But, the cystic acne never completely went away -- it was recurring. What I have learned since switching over to Perricone and from doing a lot of research is that my problem was mostly internal. Stress, and I wasn't eliminating enough. I had to really up my morning fiber intake and add probiotics to my diet. This combo has helped reduce my migraine frequency by 90% and my cystic acne by 95%. It would be 100% if I didn't slip up with my diet now and again.

I take Perricone supplements -- and I use his regular skin care now -- I wouldn't recommend it for acneic skin though -- his line is not great for cystic acne.

I suffered from cystic acne for almost 20 years, and I don't break out much anymore. Perricone's approach is 3 fold -- supplements, anti-inflammatory diet, and quality skin care. I find that when I have been cystic, he doesn't offer good enough skin care for that.

acne.org will suggest benzoyl peroxide, but I have never found this to be useful for my skin.

Perricone has a 3 day skin clear diet that is supposed to get rid of inflammation and clear up skin.

http://www.perriconemd.com/category/...+clear+diet.do

Good luck finding the right combo that works for your son!
altinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-14, 04:03 PM  
clerkin11

Eliminating Dairy (or at least limiting it) made a big difference for both of my kids' acne. I never believed it would, but it really helped them both.
clerkin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-14, 04:11 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Wow, two pages already!

I can't think of a fave product from 2013. I'm still looking for a holy grail mascara (I'm picky about brushes and need something that makes my lashes longer w/o clumping) and anti-perspirant/deodorant (I want excellent odor AND wetness protection, but I also don't want my skin to dry out, which seems to be a problem of late).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-14, 04:19 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
The products I have from them are first rate, and reasonably priced.

They do produce a line called 'Earth Sourced Naturals' that might be an option for you.

Not trying to sound like a commercial for the PC line, but I've been reading on their site for a while now. (I've been working my way through some other stuff, and plan to go with more PC products after that.)
Hi,

I have to agree about PC products. Whenever I stray from them, I always regret it and always return to her products. For me, I haven't found anything better - I have combo oily skin w/ larger pores - and her Skin balancing and hydralight lines work well for me. Skin balancing for summer and Hydralight for winter when my skin gets drier. I started adding the Vitamin C serum and really like it. The BHA 9 is nice, too. But so expensive!! I wait for sales to get this one.

I do wish she would expand her Earth Source line. I like the cleanser and toner, but I find the moisturizer to be too greasy for my skin. I use the toner as a serum b/c it is a bit thicker than a traditional toner.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-14, 05:50 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl View Post
I've been using Paula's Choice since the line started. Before discovering her products I used to spend a ton of money trying different things for my combination-leading-toward-dry, acne prone, slightly sensitive skin. Her products are my holy grail of skin care. My skin looks amazing. Her BHA9 & C15 products have kicked things up to a new level of amazing. I'll gladly sound like a commercial and will gladly sing the products praises as I truly believe I'm using the best stuff out there. And while they aren't super inexpensive, the cost for the size of what you get is very reasonable. I'm a fan for life!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilberteswann View Post
I second Sabine's comments. I've bought from PC for at least 15 years and find her products excellent & reasonably priced. Also her website has lots of really good information about skin & how to take care of it if you want to study up.
I third the recommendations for Paula's Choice. I have been using PC products
for years. What I use now is: Her moisture boost cleanser, Skin recovery toner, Resist moisturizer with SPF (daytime), resist antioxidant serum (day), resist retinol serum (night) Moisture Boost moisturizer (night when needed). I recently added her Vitamin C serum to my regimen and the jury is still out on that one. I add it to the antioxidant and/or retinol serums. I have ordered the anti-acne products for my son (now 20 yrs old) for years and he has had good results with them. I now order them for my 14 y.o DD.

ETA: I also use Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Lotion with 10% glycolic acid. PC has their own version but this one is less expensive. In fact I heard about it from Paula. Part of her website is "Beautipedia" which has reviews of tons of skin care and makeup products. It is invaluable. I just found a good mascara there made by Maybelline that she recommended. She has discontinued her mascara which I liked. She also used to have other makeup products like blush, eyeshadow and eyeliner that have been discontinued. If she ever stops making her foundation I am in big trouble. Its the only foundation I have ever used.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-14, 05:53 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3 View Post
Renova and sunscreen!

You can add vitamin c as well.
Sunscreen is THE most important thing for your skin. Also avoid all irritants. A lot of "natural" products are irritating. See Paula's choice website for more information.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-14, 06:00 PM  
MARIKA

Melissa, The It Lip Stain is fab!
Old 01-03-14, 06:05 PM  
MARIKA

I also just bought a Mia even though my older Clarisonic was still going strong. I gave it to DD.

Regarding Acne I cant say enough about Clarisonic, it changed my skin like nothing ever. Even my other daughter who struggles with break outs asked if she should get it and I said YES!! I would never advise my kids to purchase something this expensive with out believing in it. Also the new versions of Clearasil that claim to kill the acne bacteria in like 6 hrs are great. I do not know what the older version time was but this is a step up. Also the trick with Benzyl Peroxide is to use ALOT! and Rub rub Rub.

Tags
beauty, beauty thread, cosmetics, makeupalley, paula's choice, shapewear, skin care, spanx