Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-14, 03:05 PM  
Sissy B

I watched Tommy & Peta's Foxtrot on YouTube. It was one of the dances that I really didn't get to see all the way through last night. Tommy did well when he was in hold, but he got lost or behind on some of the side by side moves.

I also went and watched Jonathan & Allison's dance again. It's really too bad she doesn't have the experience and isn't a good ballroom teacher. Last night's dance showed that Jonathan really could have done well if he had had a different partner.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-14, 04:50 AM  
cmiyachi

I also love Lea and Alphonse. Sadie is adorable too.

Something about Allison I love - I think she is such a phenomenal dancer and I like that she didn't get her training in the traditional dance world. I am wondering now if the lack of ballroom did hurt her and Jonathon.

I have a professional relationship with web sites that sell yoga downloads.
cmiyachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-14, 02:17 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I watched Monday's recording last night.

I wish Michael was out next because he's not a good dancer and he's creepy. Even before Monday, he always said inappropriate things. I was hoping that it would change with Witney since she's so young. But then he said something about what his friends would say about dancing with Witney. I don't remember the exact words and he did stop himself but I bet he was going to say something gross because he says yucky stuff to Emma all the time. Unfortunately, I think he'll be there for awhile since it looks like a lot of NASCAR fans are voting for him. He did improve but that was a very slow AT.

I don't know why CAI had to spank Alfonso. That was just weird and inappropriate.

I think Val and Janel's supposed showmance is something that the producers want to show. They kept asking them questions about their relationship. It doesn't work because they don't have that type of chemistry. Meryl and Maks were magic on the floor. I didn't care if they were dating or not. I just liked their dances. Janel is a good dancer though. I think she gets too excited and really goes for the performance so she doesn't finish her moves.

Leah is great with contemporary and the standard Ballroom dances. These dances take advantage of her ballet training. She was good in the jive too. However, I don't like her in the Latin dances that require hip action. She looks uncomfortable doing them and lacks confidence. Part of that is Artem putting too much pressure on her.

I think Tommy gets lost when he does side by side movements because his memory is not that great. When he's in hold, Peta can guide him. Side by side, his arms were doing something completely different from Peta. He was fun to watch for awhile but he should go next after Michael.

Sadie is a good performer. Her dance looked pretty last night even though she needs more hip action. Sometimes her arms and legs look gangly but she's a natural mover. She just needs to get used to using her growing body.

Alfonso is my favorite by far. I hope his groin injury doesn't get worse because I want him to win. I felt bad when they showed Witney crying and I think it was really sweet when he tried to comfort her.

I'm glad that Jonathan left on a high note. I also think that he would have done better with a different pro. Chris, by traditional dance world, I'm assuming you meant ballroom. Allison went to Dance Club which is a competition studio and did train in other styles like ballet, contemporary, jazz, and hip-hop. She was NYCDA's (a big convention and competition) National Senior Champion and competed in SYTYCD Season 2. That was about eight years ago and she started taking ballroom because she enjoyed it during the show. The problem is that she's taking lessons but I don't think she's ever taught anybody how to do ballroom. Also, learning it was probably easy for her so she won't know how to teach a non-dancer.

ETA - I forgot that I was going to mention that Janel's skirt was really ugly and distracting. I think I looked at the skirt more than the dance.
Old 10-22-14, 05:47 PM  
ncl

I will say, Lea is making me appreciate Erin Andrews as well. She called everyone honey or baby (drove me NUTS!) and told everyone their dance was amazing (being indiscriminate makes me think she lacks sincerity). I also liked the comment to Derek though that he didn't know what it was like to get 5's. That was funny.

I haven't though Michael is gross, but it is about time for him to go, I think, based on his dancing. It does not appear that Emma is anything but fond of him as well.

I actually like Julianne as a judge...didn't think I would. She is not judging a professional competition but she is judging a professional amateur competition and I appreciate her comments quite a bit. Those are the things you are judged on in a real pro-am competition. I am looking forward to Len coming back.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-14, 07:34 PM  
spotted zebra

One thing Leah did well as co-host was how she joked with Cheryl and Antonio when they were waiting to get their scores, when Cheryl was upset and trying not to cry. Leah handled it well and I think she made Cheryl feel better. Plus as said it was funny when Leah ribbed Derek. On the other hand what was Carrie Ann thinking in the spanking bit?? It was inappropriate. I remember one season a few seasons ago when Carrie Ann took issue with Maks for hitting his partner's butt during rehearsals.

People have mentioned Julianne being related to Derek, but also don't forget Carrie Ann was involved with Artem for two years. I guess it's a small world in the world of dance, where they all know each other one way or another.

I think Tommy's time is up (or should be). He was somewhat engaging during week one. But since then time just drags when he performs and I don't enjoy watching him dance. A while back (not this week) I found the tango he and Peta did a bit uncomfortable. Her choreography would have worked better with a different partner. Watching someone old enough to be her grandfather running his hands up and down her body like that felt off to me. I think they should have brought in Mark Ballas' mom or someone older to partner with Tommy, just as they put someone more age appropriate with Cloris Leachman. Or else Peta should refrain from trying to sex up their numbers because it comes off as creepy.

I never thought I would enjoy any of Michael's dances but this week I really liked what Emma choreographed for him. They danced well together. I think Michael should exit the show after Tommy. Not that it will turn out that way, but just my opinion.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-14, 03:58 PM  
Sandrine

Spotted zebra, I think you made a very good point about Peta. She should take a lesson from Mark (never thought I'd be saying that) and choreograph in a way that acknowledges the (obvious) age difference. I'm still impressed that he managed to create a rhumba with a young girl like Sadie that wasn't sexy in a creepy way.

I'm glad you all thought the CAI spanking thing was inappropriate also. I wasn't even sure what her intention was--it just seemed odd.

I have to agree with my fellow Carolinian NCL on Julianne Hough as judge. I didn't care for her last season, and didn't think I would this season, but each week I like her judging more and more. And, as Sissy said 'way upthread, I like her hair more and more also!

But I still want Len to come back. And stay. And if he does leave, I hope they find someone else from the real world of ballroom competitions to serve as lead judge. One reason I enjoy the show is because I have learned a bit about ballroom dances, mostly from Len's comments.

Helen--thanks for the info about Allison. I enjoy watching her; I'll just bet that she improves each season that she returns. Look at Witney--granted she's got an experienced partner in Alfonso which Allison had not, but she's also learned over the course of a season or 2, how to combine her personal style with what the judges want to see. Allison is still feeling her way, in addition to your info about her background; I hope she comes back next season (if there is one!).

I wish Michael had left last week, Tommy next week and then, maybe Jonathon. Maybe he and Allison were just hitting their stride, so to speak.

Oh, I also agree on the "showmance" with Val and Janel. Wonder if that's going to become a permanent fixture of each season, since apparently it spiked the ratings. Or they seem to think it did. I could do without most of the backstage drama. Maybe it should just be called "staged drama". Are we supposed to believe that they don't know the camera is rolling? Especially when the battery pack for their mics is visible on their backs?

Could someone please save me a trip to youtube: who was paired with Cloris Leachman, when she was on the show? That was before my time. Thanks!
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-14, 04:27 PM  
lisa122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post

Could someone please save me a trip to youtube: who was paired with Cloris Leachman, when she was on the show? That was before my time. Thanks!
She had Corky Ballas, Mark Ballas' father.

Lisa
lisa122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-14, 07:22 PM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post
Spotted zebra, I think you made a very good point about Peta. She should take a lesson from Mark (never thought I'd be saying that) and choreograph in a way that acknowledges the (obvious) age difference. I'm still impressed that he managed to create a rhumba with a young girl like Sadie that wasn't sexy in a creepy way.

But I still want Len to come back. And stay. And if he does leave, I hope they find someone else from the real world of ballroom competitions to serve as lead judge. One reason I enjoy the show is because I have learned a bit about ballroom dances, mostly from Len's comments.

Sandrine, I agree about Mark, other than Sadie's cowgirl dance number. Mark and Derek usually consider their partners' ages when they choreograph, and it may require more thought and creativity but I'm generally impressed with what they come up with. Peta could take notes this season.

I can't wait for Len to come back next week! Honestly I can put up with him not being there now and then if that's the only way they could get him to sign on with the show this season. Since it seemed that he wouldn't come back at all. I don't know who could ever replace him.

Here is Cloris Leachman's tango with Corky Ballas (who was dyeing his graying hair for the show). Other dances with Cloris featured more comedy but here she is taking the dancing pretty seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMcMpuszO_0
Old 10-23-14, 09:38 PM  
Sissy B

I did watch that season and I hated Corky when he was on the show. For that reason alone I wouldn't want Shirley Ballas to be a pro. For me, one Ballas (Mark) is more than enough.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-14, 02:02 AM  
spotted zebra

Corky Ballas has been on at least two seasons that I can recall - he partnered both Cloris Leachman and Florence Henderson. He wasn't popular as an instructor with viewers and not my favourite either. But I do like Mark. He treats his partners with respect and is more good natured than some other instructors who are more prone to emotional outbursts and tantrums. I'm sure there are plenty of retired female dance pros (ex-pros) who would be able to pair with Tommy vs. Peta. Shirley Ballas was just one example and not necessarily my first choice either. I'm just surprised more people didn't find the tango between Tommy and Peta a bit creepy.