Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-30-20, 06:15 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Started to check in

Last night when Helen Mentioned it being Friday. But ... I was just too tired and figured I'd not sound very inspirational or motivational, so waited until this morning and here I am! and IT NOW IS FRIDAY morning here in the states. Then again, I am off until Monday (my day off varies, so some weeks I get 3 day weekends - how great is that?) so yesterday, even though it was Thursday and Helen was posting it was Friday, It felt like Friday to me and I was in my Friday Mind set. Ha! How's that for logic? (We'll call it "Cleda logic" and by now? I'm sure you are all used to it.)

I have a dilemma and I'm not sure what I'm going to do. So I'll just lay it out here and talk about it (ad nauseum as I always do - sharing my fitness woes!) But you guys are a GREAT sounding board for me.

You all know I signed up for the next Power Zone Challenge that begins on November 9th. Usually, it is a no brainer for me. Click, sign up, do my 8 rides a week, have structure, move along, support the team, over achieve, end of story, wait for next sign up, take recess, do fun workouts, lather, rinse repeat. I thought (at the time) this would be a good idea. Keep me on track through Thanksgiving, rolling into Christmas. It takes me to December 20th. Now I'm having second thoughts. I am having so much fun doing "other" workouts. Tread, run, bootcamp, still some power zone ones, (and I need to hop on the rower), videos if I want you get the idea. My usual, "Too many workouts, not enough time" problem.

Sooooooooooo Peloton comes out with these "theme" rides/runs/workouts for the holidays. All for one, come together, yaddah, yaddah. I think this year (with the pandemic and round 2 ramping up) that they may offer even more to keep us "connected" as a community. You all know I love me a good badge. And I LOVE Christmas rides (dh was laughing when I was doing one in July). I do my usual pro and con lists when trying to decide.

Pros:
  • The PZ challenge keeps me on track
  • I have a schedule, no brainer, I just do
  • It's consistency and no doubt I'll fall off the wagon because I don't want to let my team down
  • I get to interact with teammates and be on a soon to be (hopefully) 12 time winning team
  • I get my cardio in and then some
  • I get to use my Peloton over and over and over again
  • I could actually do the Power Zone challenge in the a.m. before work and take it to new heights by doing a fun special ride/run after work .... (HOLY MACKERAL --- I think I just solved my problem by typing it out!!!)
  • It's only 6 weeks this time

Cons:
  • I don't want to let my team down**
  • I always go above and beyond and do 8 rides vs. 5 rides so the team gets all the extra points
  • I don't have a lot of wiggle room/time for other workouts
  • I will feel confined when I want to do the fun stuff for the badge
  • Time will be limited rolling into the holidays
  • They have gone to only putting the next week's schedule out late on Wed. night, so I haven't much time to ride ahead
  • I will be tired on weeks 4, 5 and going into 6 since the workouts are tough

WHOAH ... Seriously - I think by typing all this out, I just figured it out. I used to do morning/evening sessions and stopped (for many reasons. Mostly, no motivation, kinda got lazy-ish and stopped). This would be awesome for me, because I would do the required Power Zone rides in the a.m. and then in the evening after work do a fun something. For a badge or because or whatever. It would give me motivation to do it and let's face it, it's only 6 weeks. This would bring me closer to the new year (only 62 days to go) and closer to my goal of breaking through a weight goal. If I get too tired, I can take a little time off of the evening workouts, but this way? I have a set schedule and can follow PZ in the a.m. AND the way I did the last one, I still finished a week early anyway. Yep ...

THANK YOU ALL ... I THINK I JUST SOLVED IT ....

Oh and I forgot to mention, the way you drop out of the challenge is bizarre to me. You can't just say, "Sorry, dont' want to do it. . . " you have to go the ENTIRE first week, not check off any rides and let the team take a hit in points. Once you go an entire week of not doing any of the rides? you are disqualified. But again, the team takes a hit. Soooo even by not doing it, I'm letting (in my mind) my team down. I signed up for it and I always follow through. I think that may have been my bigger dilemma. So, this way? I can still support my team and do what I signed up for and still get in my extra fun rides. It's only 6 weeks and I can go into 2021 weighing a few pounds less and in the best shape of my life. Then go easy and NOT sign up for the next power zone challenge as soon as it posts ......but wait it out and determine if I really want to do it. The problem with that though is, the later you wait to sign up you take your chances of whether you get to be on the same team or not.

Ok, I'll do a separate post for my check in since I talked (ad nauseum as I promised I would)!!!

Thanks for helping me hash this out.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-20, 06:40 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Now on to my check in

So, you could have skipped my above post where I was talking it through with myself. Quite the character, I am ...

My Ally Swag came and I need to try it on. I am not sure they are going to fit (yet) and that's why I'm procrastinating. I did NOT want to get the larger (for me) size as I know it's going to fall off in 6 months .... and I'm not rebuying it (the prices are RIDICULOUS if you ask me, but I'm frugal and cheap.) So, I got an XL. I think the top will be fine, but the bottoms? Not so much. They are tights as well, I wear tights with Chamois when i ride (usually). Anyway. The top "looked" like it would fit, so I'll probably try it on and have my uniform ready for Sunday! (Sundays with Love). I also have 4 pair of cycling tights (with chamois) from Terry, waiting in the wings till I drop a few more pounds too. (Must have been a smokin' deal ~ again, I hate paying full price because to me? It's ridiculous to pay $150 for cycling tights. Although I have had some for 20 years now. and I only wash and hang them to dry.)

Lili: a trick (at least with the treadmill workouts) is to go down to difficulty level and choose "beginner". They are still tough workouts, but they are doable. I don't always do that, but it helps. I also have a website I go to for the power zone ones, that shows me (ahead of time) the graph for a PZ workout, so I should know what I'm getting into. Oh don't get me wrong, I still click on the wrong workouts or get side tracked by Denis's hair or something ridiculous and say, "Ohhhhhh this looks like fun". Click on the workout and then I hear, "When we go to zones 4, 5 and 6" and by then ? it's too late to back out.

This app is web based, so you can use it wherever you are. I use it on my phone when doing power zone workouts and it helps me know exactly where I'm supposed to be, how much time is left in the interval, (has a timer, I know what's coming next and for how long) etc. You can filter through also by easiest, hardest, instructor, etc. GREAT tool to keep with my arsenal and by the bike when I'm doing Power zone rides. I just went to the webiste to get the link. I didn't realize he had Hydrow tools too. (Don't have a hydrow rower - yet.) hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Home Fitness Buddy:
https://app.homefitnessbuddy.com/peloton/powerzone/

Ooops ... there I go again, getting side tracked.
If you have MPaceline (subscription) they have a similar tool to search through workouts, although I admit, I've never used it. I use MPaceline more for the pretty graphs and charts. . . !!!!

Helen: Highest respect for teachers here as well. Had several in my family, lots of friends and people I know as well. Now with virtual or hybrid learning there is no rest for the teachers and they are working ridiculous amounts of hours. You definitely have earned the weekend rest !!! I don't know about for you, but for me? It's a shame how fast those 2 days go.

Pam: If I can wait long enough (I can't) I probably could get deals. But I"m not patient and I'm more of an instant gratification type gal. So I save my $$ and then buy. Most times though? I get my money's worth out of it. I have gotten better though at not doing impulse buys. I have so many workouts, so little time and now with You tube, peloton, videos, blah, blah, blah. you all know! Not enough hours in the day for the workouts I want to do.

Waves to Kay! and all those lurking.
Let me get to posting as I'm babbling on and on and on .... Pretty soon, you guys will glaze over my check ins if I'm not careful.

10/28/2020:
Becs Gentry's 30 minute endurance Run (and it really was). I enjoyed this, I enjoyed Becs. Not difficult at all. followed with 20 minutes of CDE Power Zone Ride (tougher than I expected - but counted for the badge. I didn't think she'd do much in 20 minutes! :: slaps forehead :: Will I EVER learn????) Post Ride Stretch

10/29/2020: Power Zone Ride (TRULY ENDURANCE ... yay - like Goldilocks, only took me 3x to get it right. ) 30 minute ride with Olivia .. Followed with Adrian's 10 minutes of strength training for legs.

Now I'm on to my weekend with my power zone challenge dilemma resolved. I need to get in a run or two and do some bike and badge work. Weather is horrible here. With rain and cold temps. Calling for flash freezing and some snow flurries. Come on world - it's only October. What's up with this???

Time changes this weekend, so for those who change their clocks, this a wonderful opportunity to train yourself to get up a touch earlier to get the workouts in. For me? I'm a little worried since I normally wake up at 3 or 4 a.m. anyway .... ugggggggggggggg....

Make it a great day.
~ Cleda
(aka THE BABBLE Queen).
Old 10-30-20, 12:54 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Cleda - I'm glad you could work out your dilemma by just typing it out here! And thank you for that link! That looks great. I don't have an output rating, so I haven't really done more than the first PZ ride, but I do wear a HR monitor, so maybe I could go by that? Enjoy the new clothes! I get most of my workout wear at Goodwill. I'm in my basement, and someone spent good money on it, why shouldn't I enjoy it? The only equipment I've ever found there were risers for my step, which I bought!
Pam - I'm going to have to look and see what I'm keeping and what I'm tossing. I do have a stack to donate at this point. It might be time to just move them out and move on!
Waves to Helen & Kay!

10/29 - went to Peloton to look for the Cold Play ride and the first thing that showed up was a Bon Jovi Ride!
5 Min. Warm-up Ride w/ Sam Yo
30 Min. Bon Jovi Ride w/ Sam Yo
5 Min Post Ride Stretch w/ Cody Rigsby
I was in the mood to do more, but I started too late and it was time for dinner.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-20, 08:02 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Oct 30:
~7 km trail walk
~Essentrics TV: Rebalance & Release
~Yin & Yoga Nidra Workshop on Zoom - This was lovely!

Cleda - Glad you worked out a solution you’re happy with and I hope you like your new workout wear!

Lili - A Bon Jovi ride sounds fun & motivating! I’m a fan and I loved WOW’s Bon Jovi walk. Good music can make a big difference. I looked at my pile of giveaway DVDs for quite a while before I took the plunge and sent them on their way. I did a lot of SASEs here at VF and gave a bag to a local single mom who I’ve gone to for hot stone massage. She was thrilled.

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-20, 12:49 AM  
Helen

CLEDA
That business of forcing the team to take the hit if you want to drop out (or get injured, or other major life event that stops you doing it) puts real pressure on people to commit - I actually like it. There wouldn't be MANY people who'd have a climactic life event and in that case, the team would most likely say, wow, that sucks for you but of course, we'll take the hit - but makes dropping out NOT so much a matter of just not turning up.

Making teams is great psychology.
Interesting psychological experiments - we are a very tribal species (take the US lately !!) - but read this - it's so weird....

Take a random group of people (nobody knows anyone else), put each person randomly into one group or another - name them anything you like (numbers, colours, shapes....) and then offer everyone a choice that they make secretly:
1) both groups get $5 each person
2) YOUR group only gets $4, but the OTHER group gets just $3

Statistically significant numbers of people will let their own group take less, so long as the other group is even worse off, because then THEIR group has a win over the other group. We are a despicable species by nature - win/lose is the preferred choice by more people than a win-win scenario.

LILI
How nice you stumbled across a workout with music you could get into.

PAM
Another Bon Jovi fan? Maybe I should listen to some - outside my usual genre. Giving workouts to a single mum - yes ! that's SO good.

KAY
Hi!!!

Fri., 30th Oct.
nothing - TERD, as it's my usual end-of-work-week sloth evening
Sat., 31st Oct.
43min, Tony - P90X - Cardio X
60min, walking Alice

November tomorrow - I'd best kick it off!
>>November Thread<<
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-20, 05:21 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Checking in

Keeping an eye on the time as I am going to do a LIVE PZ ride today. (I might be sorry - I hope it's not tabata or something crazy!! It's Matt's live halloween ride).

Helen: I like that they used to put the schedule out for the challenge several weeks in advance. If I were travelling (which obviously due to Covid, I am NOT), I could plan ahead, get a jump on the weeks, etc. Now it comes out later on Wed. so if people are travelling (and some do) they can't plan and get ahead enough. (2 week vacations would disqualify you). I like the old way better, but I get why she changed it. Because too many people would ride really far ahead and it's supposed to be a "Group" experience. Even when I do the rides when they are supposed to be done, I rarely ride with other riders. We'll see how this one plays out? Interesting. I am training for that 10k that has to be done by 12/24. The distance does not bother me (I do it already) but I honestly want to be faster. Time will tell.

Lili: Bon Jovi? Glad you mentioned it. Someone else told me they did that ride. I will have to try it today. I like Sam Yo, I like Bon Jovi! This could be a win/win for me. It goes on my list. (and will get me another "Artist Series" badge). Love the badges. There is so much material on the app that I get flustered, so most times go by recommendations or if I happen to see something in one of my groups (posted as a live ride/run). I'm actually not a big one for the LIVE classes, because I don't know what type of class it is. I like to know (and plan) what I'm doing. Sometimes they have intervals in mind and I'm ready for a rest/recovery day. I know I can always modify ... but still.

Pam: Consistent as always! (Not sure I could do a Zoom class. I hate Zoom, but that's me.)

Ok, on to me, me and all me .....

10/30/2020:
Peloton Treadmill & bike. Matty kinda day for the tread: 10 minute warm up, 30 minute Halloween run (what a hoot!)**, 45 mins. interval class, 10 minute walk cool down. Switched to the bike: Matt's 30 mins. endurance Power zone ride, Post ride stretch, 15 minute floor stretch with Jess King Awesome workout

** Matty's Halloween run was hysterical. I LOVED it and will be going back to do it again. He was dressed up as Mara Thonner. And was from "New Jersey". (I fear now everyone will think we talk like Mara does. ). Anyway, not for when little ones are around and maybe not everyone's style. But I thought it was a hoot.

That's it. Off to get ready for this morning's workout.
Till tomorrow.
Cleda
Old 10-31-20, 11:12 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Happy Halloween!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 10-31-20, 06:29 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Cleda - now I have to check out the Halloween run! I love Matty, did one of his today. That's a LOT of workouts in 1 day! You never cease to amaze me. Also, love the new avatar!
Pam - Happy Halloween back at ya! They trick or treat in Canada, don't they? So far we had a few young kids out before we had our stuff out, and nothing since then. Some one put a list of guidelines out for this year, so we are trying to follow them. It does take some of the fun out of it.
Helen - Humans never cease to amaze me. Just when I think they couldn't be any worse, you see wonderful acts of kindness that keep me from giving up all hope in humanity. Thanks for starting the November thread!

10/30 - Our usual dog walk and a 10 minute meditation from YouTube.
10/31 - Dog walk.
10 Min. Solution Slim & Sculpt Pilates, the Ab section. I set it up to play the Flexibility section, too, but it wouldn't play.
Keli Roberts A.S.A.P., set this up to play the first of 3 sections, but it kept going, so I turned it off at some point.
30 Min. Interval Run w/ Matty. I took Cleda's advice and picked a beginner run and really enjoyed it.
I stretched on my own.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-20, 10:25 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Oct 31:
~BellyFit Alchemista: Root to Rise
~Beach walk at the park
~Steps: 12,319

I’m still keeping it gentle, see my PT on Tues.
I’m 31/31.....every day!

We had one trick or treater, a neighbour’s little guy. But usually we have none as we are a bit rural and it’s very dark here at night. Lots of trees & we don’t have any street lights.

Thanks for starting us off for November Helen!

Waves to all & see you next month!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

Old 11-01-20, 05:48 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Last Workout of October

So naturally, I have to post it in the October thread!
Maybe more comments in November? Hmmmm...

No trick or treaters here. A non event for us (which I'm glad for because I don't care for Halloween). I think this year I probably took more Halloween themed rides/runs with Peloton than ever before and the most I've actually "enjoyed" Halloween. (If you can call it that?). Maybe cuz I like to be part of the "buzz".

Pam: Congrats on the 31/31. You did it!!! Wahhhhhoooooooo. Cute cute cute little jack-o-lantern! I didn't realize his head popped up until I let it linger there a minute.

Lili: I really like Matty also. Just goofy enough, but good enough to run with!! I also have a special love for him as I had his audio on my phone and used the outdoor runs when I was at Mom's, so I swear there's some fond connection there of better times. Funny how the brain works.

Helen:
Tribal species. Interesting. We sure haven't come very far through time/history, have we?

Waves to Kay and all lurking!!!

Me, me and all me:

10/31/2020: Sam Yo's BonJovi Ride (30 mins.), Matt's Power Zone Halloween Ride (30 mins)**, Becs Gentry's Halloween Run (30 mins), Adrian's 30 minute lower body strength, Adrian's 10 minute Upper Body strength

** Matt was dressed up as Olivia (complete with glitter). It was cute. He did a great job. Becs was dressed as a Clown and it was a good run. I took it more as a recovery run (that's what was on the docket for the day), but still effective. Strength? Cuz it's good for me.

So, October was 31/31.
I continue 305/366 ... I'm going to make it ... only 61 workout days to go!

Make it a great day.
See you all in November!
Cleda