Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-24, 09:48 AM  
bubbles76

Cold Weather Gear for Walking

As it has gotten into the teens and lower in NJ, I'm noticing my gloves and socks aren't cutting it. I have started walking Puppy Bubbles for three, 45-minute walks a day, and my toes and fingers are numb when I get back in. What are my fellow VFers wearing to counteract the cold? I'm hoping my Canadian and way northern VFers (MI, OH, etc.) chime in. Bonus points if you can recommend some workout pants to walk in too, maybe tights? I tried the Baleaf, but they did not keep me warm enough.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-24, 10:15 AM  
Lori_Michigan

I've lived in cold weather my whole life, so layering up is really the only way for me to stay comfortable.

My go-to socks are the Darn Tough brand made in Vermont (on Amazon). I buy the knee length heavy wool socks and they actually stay up when walking. I also buy sock liners from REI. If it's really bad I keep HotHands toe inserts in my boots and those keep me toasty.

My favorite boot is Columbia brand, specifically the ones with traction for ice.

My favorite gloves/mittens are Mountain Hardware Gore-tex with another liner underneath. Again, I add HotHands in sometimes if I'll be shoveling for awhile. HotHands are awesome!!

My favorite hat is Carhartt, their water-resistant beanie and earmuffs are great.

My favorite long underwear is Land's End, which I usually wear two pairs of under my pants and then my snow pants over those, so technically I have four layers on. LL Bean has great winter walking pants, but honestly, I just use my Carhartt snow pants over my long underwear and then fleece sweatpants. Layers, layers, layers!

Edited to add: We had to live through nearly 24-hour power outage after the storm this weekend and then below zero frigid temps. Our house dropped to 37 degrees inside (basically a refrigerator) and we made it through with layers and layers and layers and HotHands in our gloves and socks. I had stocked up on water/Propels and Clif bars and crackers/peanut butter ahead of the storm. Or roads were inpassable due to the blizzard. A total nightmare. We are now saving up for a generator this spring!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-24, 10:48 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I've been wearing these fleece lined leggings over a pair of Under Armour Cold Gear leggings:

TSLA thermal yoga pants

I also like thermal underwear. I have a couple cheapo brands from Dick's or Walmart. They really make a difference.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-24, 10:55 AM  
Gams

I’ve got Yaktrax for over my boots - really helps a lot when walking in icy areas.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-24, 12:33 PM  
TracyQ

I’m in Boston. Today’s feels like temp is 14. I’m about to go for an hour long walk. I wear a base layer top and pants (like long underwear) from Eddie Bauer. I wear my leggings over the bottoms. I don’t usually add another top. Just a warm Columbia jacket.. https://www.columbia.com/p/womens-he...8661_color=852

I also have a North Face parka but find it too hot for a power walk.

My hands are always cold. I wear a light weight running glove with a hand warmer (Hot Hands) with a pair of Columbia mittens over that. For the most part my fingers are ok but still get cold.

I also use a neck gaiter from Smart Wool https://www.smartwool.com/shop/therm...ariationId=001

And a hat of course.

My feet don’t usually get too cold so I just wear my regular Dr. Motion socks.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-24, 05:23 PM  
bubbles76

Thank you so much ladies! Just placed an order for Columbia boots Women's Minx Mid III. I'm looking at the socks now. I'm going back and forth on gloves. I never have luck ordering gloves online. Thank you for the hat idea, I didn't think to ask about a hat. I've got tons of beanies that keep my head warm, plus a LOT of hair lol! But since Tiny Bubble wanted a Carhartt hat I may look at one for me
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 01-20-24, 03:08 PM  
bubbles76

Okay I bought the socks and the Carhartt hat . I bought some Carhartt gloves and am trying some Avalanche fleece lined leggings. I have some Avalanche leggings that I like so hopefully these will be just as nice. Also bought some hot hands. Let's hope this keeps me warm. Thanks for all your help
Old 01-20-24, 03:27 PM  
Gams

It might be easier waiting for spring. 😆
Old 01-20-24, 06:02 PM  
furmomof6

I'm following this post with interest! I just adopted a new 1 year old pup, and she requires several long walk/play times outside each day. I'm in NY and it has been very cold.

So far I can share that wearing long johns under my clothes helps a lot, and I just got a "balaclava" that keeps my face extremely warm! I'll share the link to that. My sneakers are gore-tex, which keeps them dry from any moisture (snow, slush, etc), and I wear knee high insulated socks. My fingers still freeze though with my gloves, so I need something better for my hands.

Balaclava
https://www.amazon.com/Shy-Velvet-Ba...791564&sr=8-24

One drawback to the balaclava is that it cuts off my peripheral vision when I have the mouth flap up, so I have to be careful that I don't trip over my dog!

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-24, 06:41 PM  
Gams

You need to wear mittens over your gloves. Mittens are warmer than gloves and having the two layers really helps.

Last edited by Gams; 01-20-24 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Correct typo

Tags
clothing, cold weather, gloves, socks, tights, workout pants