Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-26-15, 06:36 PM  
TinierTina

Well, if you like to work out for a Long Time ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl View Post
I've seen some nice results with Ballet Beautiful and I wonder if it isn't due to the sheer number of reps. I think (for me) you might be right Carb8985. I've done FIRM workouts for years and wondered why I never really saw the results that other people seem to get.....so frustrating.....but maybe my body just responds better to no/light weights and tons of reps.
More is More ... Except when More is Less ... (i.e., exhaustion ...)

It is intervals (if they work right) that can make Less actually be More ...

Especially for redistribution of weight ... if that's a goal ...

Lengthy intervals appeals to the steady-state lover in some of us ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-15, 02:36 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
More is More ... Except when More is Less ... (i.e., exhaustion ...)

It is intervals (if they work right) that can make Less actually be More ...

Especially for redistribution of weight ... if that's a goal ...
Perhaps my muscles were too exhausted using so many reps and I suspect I was recruiting other muscles just to finish the reps. I have some Ballet Beautiful that I'm sure I'll still be using, some barre that I pull out every now and then, and several circuit workouts that I enjoy and have helped me lean out a bit in the past.
Redistribution of weight... now, that sounds attractive!
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-15, 02:51 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carb8985 View Post
8-10 reps is just not enough for me to get a good muscle burn going, even with impeccable attention to form. My favorite barre is Ballet Body and Leah does quite a few reps of each move and with lots of different angle/position variations. I've tried Barre3, which is fewer reps, and felt nothing, and this was after years of barre experience, so I know I was doing the moves correctly and deeply.
Some barre workouts that use less repetitions of each move still feel very effective to me. With barre and floor work, there's usually a sequence of moves done on one side before moving to the other side, and I'm usually feeling a nice burn by the end of the sequence.
For example, Winsor Pilates Buns and Thighs is a burner but you only do 10 reps of each move. Perhaps it's the larger range of motion of the moves, or just the non-stop sequencing.

As I mentioned before, I can do this kind of workouts daily and they have no dread factor. Right now, they hit the spot. Now, will they do anything for my "trouble spots"?
Old 06-28-15, 12:00 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I feel you, I also enjoy workouts (mostly floor work) with less reps. I guess that's why I pilates so much, you really feel it but there is no endless reps. And as you mentioned I think it is about the non-stop sequencing. I also enjoy Element: Ballet Conditioning for that. I know Ballet Beautiful have great reviews all around here and on Amazon, but just checking on youtube and knowing I will do 32 reps of every move... I don't know... But, I haven't feel tempted yet (I might change my mind). I also have Precision Toning, I have done the Arms and Abs segment several times, but the lower body sections I think just once each , I felt the burn for sure and the pain the next few days Funny, thought it doens't bother me on standing barre wos or other kind of workouts.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-15, 12:24 AM  
BunnyHop

I get along with a workout better when the moves are broken up in to segments, and I don't have to do a million variations on the same move on one leg before doing the same thing on the other leg.

I get better results from being more in control of the moves, which I can't do if I work one leg totally to exhaustion. Defeats the purpose, for me.
Old 06-28-15, 06:03 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
Funny, thought it doens't bother me on standing barre wos or other kind of workouts.
I'm ok with doing more reps when I'm standing too... interesting, isn't it? I do wonder about my form and prefer using standing moves for cardio and getting down on the mat to really hit the lower body muscles.

I enjoy some Ballet Beautiful workouts. Her bridal series is really nice, iirc, all standing work and she has some cardio workouts that are a lot of fun if you like ballet cardio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I get better results from being more in control of the moves, which I can't do if I work one leg totally to exhaustion. Defeats the purpose, for me.
That's how it feels for me too. I don't know about visible results, but I know I'm finding it a lot more sustainable, I can do the workouts more often, and I'm not in pain. To me, those things are move important than any visible results.
Old 06-28-15, 09:28 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

I've been contemplating the wear and tear on joints as I get older

are all the endless reps doing damage?
Old 06-30-15, 12:52 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
I enjoy some Ballet Beautiful workouts. Her bridal series is really nice, iirc, all standing work and she has some cardio workouts that are a lot of fun if you like ballet cardio.
Thanks, I'll have to check it out, I've been enjoying ballet cardio lately, it is fun to do! Are those dvds or downloads? I've also been checking the Sleek Technique three dvd set, looks pretty good.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Old 06-30-15, 07:18 AM  
topfitmama

They are streaming workouts. Some of my favorite Ballet Beautiful cardio streams are Ballet Baby Outer Thighs (mild, no-impact), Sugarplum, Skyline, Arabesque Barre (not strictly cardio, but it raises the heartrate) and The Lunge Workout. The plié workouts are also great, but only available through her customs subscription. I haven't done the bridal workouts in a while, but I think they have a slight cardio effect.

Sleek Technique are really enjoyable workouts. I tried some of their online streaming and they are great, but too pricey. Here are two workouts you can try for free: ST Barre and ST Cardio

The DVDs are amazing value. I hope they start putting their streaming workouts on DVD!
Old 06-30-15, 08:44 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Thank you! I'm taking notes. Also thanks for the link to the free workouts, I'll try them for sure!!