Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-15, 02:01 PM  
topfitmama

Reps: Less is More or More is More?

I've been doing a lot of ballet, barre and floor work, and I've come to a point where I much prefer less repetitions. I feel like I can concentrate on the move a lot better when I know I only have to do 8-10 repetitions. I'm fine with doing sequences and repeating them, but I'm just not motivated to keep on embracing the burn and focusing on engaging the right muscles through 30+ reps of one exercise that will be followed by 30 reps of a slightly different variation of the same, all on the same side. Lately, the only workouts I want to do are Sleek Technique, some Essentrics and Classical Stretch, (I love their leg work!!!!) and some pilates. All these do a limited number of repetitions of each exercise, usually not exceeding 8-10 repetitions.

I'm not stressing over what these exercises will do to my body. I'm feeling good and enjoying my workouts. There's zero dread.

Are you working out with a less is more or more is more mentality?
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-15, 02:24 PM  
kalliope999

I completely identify with this! I'm definitely a "less is more" kind of person these days. I've tried rotations of Tracy Anderson and Ballet Beautiful. And while I liked the idea of them at first, I came to dread the endless reps, like you. It's what's kept me away from most barre, too.

I've found myself doing mostly Essentrics lately, and agree that the leg work is fantastic! (Just did the Ultimate Leg Sculptor again today, and forgot how much I love it. ) I recently got Sleek Technique, and like it a lot also. Just like you said, not having to do 30-40 reps of the each move keeps me working harder, even if the difficulty is generally the same overall. Changing from move to move to hit the same set of muscles is much more tolerable to me mentally!

My body is feeling great, I'm feeling limber and stronger, I'm enjoying my workouts, and I really like the aesthetic results I've gotten so far. In addition to the Essentrics or Sleek Technique, I'm throwing in one or two 20-40 minute cardio workouts per week, usually one 15-min kettlebell workout per week, and try to walk for errands. Plenty of rest days if I want them -- I don't stress about those either!
Old 06-25-15, 02:52 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Essentially these are variations of endurance workouts. You can get endurance workouts by doing cardio such as running, walking or cycling, and you don't have to count the reps that way. Of course they don't hit the muscles in the same way. I personally prefer to get my endurance doing cardio, but I do add high rep stuff from time to time.
Old 06-25-15, 03:06 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

For me:

Less Is More = heavier weights and strength workouts

More Is More = lighter weights and endurance workouts

Both have a place in my workout schedule.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-15, 03:18 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
For me:

Same here.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-15, 04:54 PM  
kalliope999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
For me:

Oh, I agree in general, and I do some kettlebell and bodyweight work for strength reasons.

But I read the original post as specifically talking about floor work, ballet, and barre type workouts that rep you to death, versus those that don't, but use either a variety of similar moves at lower counts or longer sequences that repeat instead. In that arena, I'm definitely a fan of "less is more!"

Last edited by kalliope999; 06-25-15 at 04:55 PM. Reason: grammar!
kalliope999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-15, 06:45 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalliope999 View Post
But I read the original post as specifically talking about floor work, ballet, and barre type workouts that rep you to death, versus those that don't, but use either a variety of similar moves at lower counts or longer sequences that repeat instead. In that arena, I'm definitely a fan of "less is more!"
Yeah, that occurred to me after I had left the post. Sorry for my poor reading comprehension, OP!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-15, 02:04 AM  
topfitmama

I guess I should have been more clear in my title. I'm just rubbish at coming up with anything clear these days. I had only barre, ballet and floor workouts in mind when I started this thread.

Another advantage of lesser reps is that I can do the workouts more often and I don't cramp up or get that feeling that I'm overusing some muscle or joint. I'm not that sure I'm not overworking something when I'm doing 100+little moves with one small group of muscles. When I have to do less reps, I feel like I can engage those muscles better and keep them engaged until the set is over.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-15, 08:14 AM  
Carb8985

I've done a lot of barre workouts and I find that I prefer more reps for this type of workout. When I'm not using heavy weights, I need a higher number of repetitions to really exhaust and get deep into the muscle. 8-10 reps is just not enough for me to get a good muscle burn going, even with impeccable attention to form. My favorite barre is Ballet Body and Leah does quite a few reps of each move and with lots of different angle/position variations. I've tried Barre3, which is fewer reps, and felt nothing, and this was after years of barre experience, so I know I was doing the moves correctly and deeply.

I also love Tonique and she does 30-50 repetitions of every move, and it does make a huge difference in muscle exhaustion, which leads to great muscle tone and building IMO.
Carb8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-15, 04:18 PM  
JeepGirl

I've seen some nice results with Ballet Beautiful and I wonder if it isn't due to the sheer number of reps. I think (for me) you might be right Carb8985. I've done FIRM workouts for years and wondered why I never really saw the results that other people seem to get.....so frustrating.....but maybe my body just responds better to no/light weights and tons of reps.
JeepGirl is offline   Reply With Quote