Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-15, 07:52 PM  
desertMermaid

Sounds like fun! I look forward to hearing about your adventure! Where did you buy your outfit? I love some of the stuff Mary Helen Bowers has. I was thinking of making a tulle skirt, but then it'd be a case of all dressed up and no where to go. Anyway, have fun!
desertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-15, 08:06 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal View Post
In the past, I've put it off as something I would take on when I was the 'right size.' But I recently decided to quit waiting for that to happen and just do it.
I LOVE this!! You go girl!! And yes, I want to hear all about it!
Old 06-30-15, 09:21 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

OMG - I really loved this ballet class!!

In the past, I've participated in various barre classes and my favorites have been barre3 (however, the studio is so far from my house and requires tolls) and Bar Method (close to work, but I feel like the workout is rushed and not enough time for stretching...I also don't care for the leg on the barre at such a fast pace).

This adult ballet class is within 5 miles of my house. It is a professional ballet theater / school that offers classes to serious students (career) as well as to the public.

In tonight's class, there were four of us. One teen, two college-age (age 20-25), and me (37 years old, not the traditional 'ballet physique', and never taken a ballet class in my life). We did a lot of drills and technique. The teacher had a foreign accent and mentioned that she trained under a Russian instructor. Instead of a live piano that is typical of ballet class, there was a sound system and she had a soundtrack with various piano performances for the drills.

The instructor would explain what choreography would be performed before each drill. She would also tell us the ballet term for the work we were about to do as well as tell us what muscles we would be working. She also provided tips and techniques for making the moves safer to perform; for example she explained how to brace the knee prior to jumping so that you weren't just jumping haphazardly and landing with all of your weight on your knee.

Then, the piano music would start and we would perform the choreography to 8-counts. We were standing at the barre for most of the drills and we would perform the exercises facing one way for one leg and then turn to face the opposite way to perform the same drill on the opposite leg.

I originally thought I would be smart and stand at the 'back' of the barre so that I could watch others, but then I ended up being front and center for every other drill. Next time, I will try to get a spot in the center of the barre. It takes me a few times to pick up even simple choreography and I felt like I was all over the place when there was no one in front of me to watch.

I also need to study up on the ballet terms. Some of the vocabulary the instructor used was familiar to me, but I couldn't necessarily tell you what we were about to do based on what she said. Luckily I knew what first position and fifth position were and we spent a lot of time in those two positions.

When I was younger, I took jazz dance classes and did the whole recital scene. In high school, I was in the marching band and flag corps. The idea of performing choreography drills really appeals to me and takes me back to my younger years. It feels familiar and welcome, even if I really have no idea what I am doing. There is the safety of knowing that if I continue to perform these drills, I will eventually 'get it.'

desertMermaid - I had to purchase my outfit at multiple retailers since I was looking for adult plus size apparel. I purchased the leotard on Amazon, the tights and ballet shoes at Capezio (local dance store), and the ballet skirt at another local dance store. I had to call around to several dance stores in order to find the skirt. It is a basic wrap skirt, but I would love a black tulle skirt that I saw on Etsy. Will probably break down and invest in that one soon.

All in all, I am so glad that I decided to give adult ballet class a try! I left class sweaty and I'm sure my legs will be even more sore tomorrow, but I'm already looking forward to next week's class!
Old 06-30-15, 09:35 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

That sounds fantastic, Jennifer! i would love to take a class like that. My daughter is taking ballet classes but I don't think the studio offers adult classes. I should ask about it.

So glad you liked it!

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-15, 09:45 PM  
mtngoat

Thanks for posting the class details, Jennifer! It sounds wonderful.

I laughed at your being stuck front and center for most of the class! Isn't that the way it always goes...

It sounds like all of your barre classes and dance background served you well. Congrats on going outside your 'comfort zone'!

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-15, 12:30 AM  
sunnyd

adult ballet

oh this sounds fab! I hope I can find something for myself this coming year

When I was a student at Oregon State Uni, I took a beginner ballet as a PE class. There were I don't know, up to 30 people in the class, maybe 1/3 were guys? It was so much fun, and a nice workout cuz we did plenty of traveling across the floor doing combos. I'm sure we looked like a herd of elephants, but so what!

So for those of you looking for adult ballet, check at your local university/college, if you're willing to pay tuition. But also ask if they allow auditing for PE classes. I'm going back to Minneapolis soon, and if I remember right they even offered beginner ice skating

I will also check local community ed offerings. I feel like there were opportunities for adult dance classes.

oh, something I've been eyeing is a fitness instructor's course on how to teach ballet fitness (not barre). Academy of Holistic Fitness offers a correspondence course. I really want to do/learn more ballet, so I want to do it, but it's kinda spency and since I'm so beginner at ballet I'd probably be ridiculous teaching it!
sunnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-15, 01:00 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Congratulations on your first adult ballet class! It is inspiring to read your posts. I have had this on my to-do list for ages. I took ballet for years and have wanted to go back to it. I went to see a ballet recently and the ballerinas have such great posture and move with grace. I remember that when I took ballet, it made me feel more confident.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-15, 06:41 AM  
sbh

I am so glad you have the opportunity to take a ballet class. I had the same problem with learning the choreography. I'm getting better at it. Luckily, my ballet teacher cues the whole segment while I do it. It is a process though. Thank you so much for giving us your thoughts on the class.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-15, 07:28 AM  
desertMermaid

I'm so glad you thoroughly enjoyed ballet class. I have never done a live/group fitness class. We don't have a lot of options (and I'm not very brave). Although, the other day I learned there is a Barre3 and PureBarre Studio in my city. However, they are 20+ miles from where I live/work. Also, I'm pretty over barre, but I am totally loving ballet these days. One issue is I don't have a huge living room, so traveling moves don't work well. I always end up having to modify greatly.

Anyway, the class you went to sounds fun and your ballerina outfit sounds fabulous. I think you definitely need a lovely black tulle skirt

Thanks for sharing about you experience, I look forward to hearing about next weeks class!
Old 08-01-15, 11:29 AM  
desertMermaid

Did you attend another class? Just curious how it's going.

Tags
adult ballet class