Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-16-15, 07:31 AM  
Dabbadooey

Agree or disagree:...walking can shape your

Lower body as well as squats, lunges, barre, etc.

I was thinking about this while walking yesterday. I think walking does it just as well without taxing the body. Barre gives me back and plantar fascitis issues so I may be a little jaded there.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 07:38 AM  
Missiscipi

I know it slims my legs but I haven't been as consistent with it to see if it shapes my legs.
Missiscipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 07:40 AM  
momof10

I disagree about walking shaping your lower body. It will slim it down and add some muscle definition but you also need some weight training of body weight to shape your glutes and legs.

Cheryl
Old 11-16-15, 07:42 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Walking, especially power walking aggravates my plantar fasciitis, but barre works really well for me and firming my legs. Lately I've been doing Barre3 online workouts and I can feel my legs getting firmer if not necessarily shapelier. Yet!
Old 11-16-15, 07:49 AM  
Dabbadooey

I have found that walking slims down the saddlebag area. Weights tend to bulk my quads..not so with walking. I'm not talking a Sunday stroll, but not power either.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 08:17 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I couldn't just do walking for lower body toning. I must do my barre, and weight work too! However, I mostly walk indoors using a treadmill and Leslie. I notice a difference when I am able to walk outdoors. I can feel soreness the next day in my lower body, that I just don't feel walking indoors.
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 08:24 AM  
wlorrie

I 've never owned a car, so I'm a lifelong walker. I've seen walkers with very nice, shapely legs. I don't know what their secret is. As for me, walking does help slim my legs, but my legs don't get firm and shapely without weights.
Lorrie
wlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 08:32 AM  
lrb04

I have been walking with Leslie for over 3 years as my form of cardio. My legs & hips are better than when doing other cardio & strength with The Firm which even though the Firm gave me muscles & improved my behind, it reached a point where it was the best which my pear shape would not slim down. When I started walking all the time my hips finally lost the saddlebags that The Firm did not improve. Though walking has improved my legs & I do my own strength training nothing grand still, I still want to slim my legs more so my next venture has been classical stretch which does provide some strength for the body, legs included. I have seen improvement but I am sure if I did barre it would be even better but I am not wanting that now but I can change my mind in the future. I think the best thing is finding things you like to do & being willing to try new ways when you are ready to give them a good chance at success. The most important thing is making exercise a lifetime habit.
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 08:51 AM  
Demeris

I believe it depends on your body type. I have a girlfriend who's got a shorter torso and longer legs. She can whip her legs into shape in no time, just with walking.

I'm an hour glass. I could walk 5 miles a day and still need barre work or Callanetics or T-Tapp's lunges to give my thighs a pleasing shape.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 09:00 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

My body stores fat on my legs, so I need diet to slim them down regardless of what type of exercise I do. Vigorous walking is a terrific exercise, but it may not be enough for many people.

Tags
walking